Great Date Now/Meet Over Drinks / RIP OFF

Great Date Now
New York
This company which has now changed it's name to "Meet over drinks" takes your money and breaks your heart
worse than any one human being could. I will not tell you how much I spent for the "executive " service, but
in almost a year, I had three dates and was promised 15. My matchmaker was fired, and now the new matchmaker has to try to clean up the mess that this company keeps making. It is a complete disaster with the "sales" being the most important factor to the owners. No one cares about you at this company, because no one cares about them .
I was recommended to this service by the Matchmaking Institute, and I will be writing a complaint about them as well.
I want to start a class action suit, so no matter what you lost, if you did not get what was promised to you,
contact me.

N  16th of Jul, 2009 by
I had the same thing happen to me! I had been a member for almost 2 years and about 4 horrible dates (I couldn't count because one was worse than the other). Took forever to set me up with someone and I can tell you that I'm very attractive, successful, etc. I kept asking for a refund but this would not happen. Is Beth O'Malley still there. She promised so much but it never came through. Last date was nothing as described it was a disaster.
A  2nd of Aug, 2009 by
I am absolutely ready to start anything- same problem with me! The worst

A  7th of Oct, 2009 by
Look at this ad they are placing for a "Sales person/Matchmaker" - it is clear that you don't have to have ANY experience to be a matchmaker for them - just good at sales:

Meet Over Drinks Matchmaking, with 10 locations throughout New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Connecticut, is seeking a STRONG SALES PERSON/MATCHMAKER for their PHILADELPHIA office location.

Rapid growth in our service requires top closers with an energetic outgoing personality. If you have what it takes to be the area's best matchmaker, we should talk. If you have experience in health clubs, diet centers or media sales, you may be the perfect fit. Other great fits include professionals with a psychology background, promotions experience or experienced recruiters.

If you have the desire to create dynamic relationships while growing a truly rewarding income in a service oriented business, then this opportunity is for you. We have ten great locations and continue to grow with new locations opening every year.

If you feel you are a great fit for this position, please respond by email to this ad or fax your resume to 516-794-0903, subject header: PA Matchmaker.

We look forward to hearing from you and hope you will visit us at www.MeetOverDrinks.com to find out more about our great services.
A  25th of Oct, 2009 by
I have had the same experience. I was promised 'upscale' introductions, but rec'd nothing of the sort. They couldn't even match me with men my age. This was the greatest waste of money, these ppl do not care about who they match you with, their goal seems to be to get your money, throw some intro's at you and say they have done their job. I would love to be a part of a class action suit. This contract was originally with 'Great Date Now' and taken over by 'Meet Over Drinks'. They had the nerve to ask for more money when they switched over! Yea good luck with that.
N  10th of Nov, 2009 by
We thought that we should share with you some information about our process as an independent body.

Our Professional Matchmakers Association has 250+ members. We accept members to be part of our Professional Matchmakers Association after each company undergoes an extensive process. Specifically, each member should adhere to our Code of Ethics (articles of the code of ethics can be found at www.matchmakinginstitute.com/code_of_ethics/). Membership is free but, as we take pride in maintaining quality in the industry, membership can be suspended or cancelled if a company is not in good standing. The is the case if we receive complaints that are not properly addressed, like this one. Based on complaints received, we no longer refer anyone to the company quoted above.

Singles can fill out at form at www.matchmakinginstitute.com/survey/ and let us know of any concern they have with a matchmaker. As a matter of fact, each time a single reports a complaint to us, we inform the matchmaking company of this complaint. If the company is a member of our association, we require that company to answer in writing within two weeks with steps they have taken to respond to the issue raised by one of their clients. If they do not do so, they are automatically removed from the association. We do not endorse any specific matchmaker, but any feedback received helps us monitor matchmakers and the service they provide.

We strive to educate the public about how to find and interview qualified matchmakers and have written a book called Make Me A Match which has detailed questions on what to ask a matchmaker to be able to tell if this matchmaker is right for them. We may also email singles these questions to review before meeting with a matchmaker. We do our best to determine and refer singles to a matchmaker that best suits their needs. We always let the singles know that this is just a suggestion and it is up to the single to interview the matchmaker to determine if this matchmaker indeed suties the needs of the referred.

Here are the top 10 questions to ask a matchmaker when you meet for the first time:

1. What are your qualifications and background?
2. Will you be my personal matchmaker or are you a sales person? (ask to meet whoever will be your matchmaker)
3. How are clients screened and interviewed?
4. Do you meet everyone in person including potential matches?
5. How do clients get matched up?
6. Do clients get to see an in-depth "profile" or bio along with a photo?
7. How many clients do you have in your database?
8. Are there a minimum and/or maximum number of matches that I can receive?
9. How does communication between the client and matchmaker take place, i.e. phone, email?
10. How does your company define success?

Hope this helps.
D  14th of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Well ... My name is Theresa and am currently a client of "Meet Over Drinks" Long Island. I have read all complaints and thought it would be nice to share a great experience. It's the holidays and I told my Matchmaker I wanted to fall in love and be matched with someone real special by the holiday season and going into 2010. I think it's only fair, and have referred new clients to her, that there be a commendation for what people do right and when they make others happy. My Matchmaker did, in fact, care about my happiness and well being. She was attentive, cordial, and stern when she needed to be. She would give advice whether I liked what she had to say or not. To make a long story short, I am happily with my significant other and happier then I've been in years. I think the problem is people do not give it the time and patience they deserve to let the journey take it's course and work for them. They would rather display bad publicity than working with their Matchmaker so they can do their job. Again, whether anyone is interested or not, this experience has changed my life for the BETTER and I have met the love of my life. I owe it all to YOU Dawn! Don't fight the process, embrace it and it will work for you.
N  21st of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I'm a former matchmaker myself, and I'll tell you...finding love and perfect matches do not happen overnight! Yes, it's not fair to take money and not produce results, but being in the experience, I've found that when I came up with several matches for clients, a lot of them moaned and complained that it didn't sound like a good fit or their credentials weren't up to their caliber. The process is always going to take time, it's not going to be as easy as most people may think! I've dealt with clients who couldn't wait to rip into me for my inability to help them, but then again, when I've proposed at least a handful of potential matches, why not just try something and go on a date? You paid for service and the matchmakers only try to provide the best service they can. They can't guarantee happily ever after for everyone, but until you try out what they've offered...how will you ever know?

Thank you Theresa for your positive testimonial...happiness is possible, but if you don't like what a matchmaker offers you...go out and look for yourself!
N  28th of Dec, 2009 by
i just joined in July but i have been waiting for my hearing aids and i havent had a match yet but i am going to give it time. once i get my hearing aid s i will meet the men and i will let you know how everything goes. Angela
A  11th of Jan, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
For ALL to read and ALL to see ... I was a client of Meet Over Drinks until the Owner Gary Ferone decided to delete his database, delete the website, and close the doors! I have been calling and calling only to leave message after message to no avail! He took his company from Great Date Now, filed chapter 7 to open up a new scam called Meet Over Drinks! He charged clients more money, ripped them off, then close his doors officially filing chapter 7 on Meet Over Drinks. The company was viewed on channel 2 news December 30th for it's deceptive practices. I did, however, have the pleasure of working with a few employees who truly cared about servicing me. In doing further research I have learned that he did NOT pay his employees in over a month, abused them on a daily basis trying to make them partake in unlawful practices of which they wanted no part of. In promising to pay them, they continued to work in the hopes they would see their salary. He closed down shop and never paid anyone. These are employees who would like nothing more than to service all of us if they could. I have now taken personal interest in making sure they all have alternatives and making sure Gary Ferone has his day. Research also shows him listing two of his most loyal and valuable employees as part owner in this scam. I can assure you that Dawn Tefel and Stephanie Zipf are in fact NOT owners or affilitates and listed them to share in his trouble and expense. Looks like EVERYONE was scammed including the one's who worked for him. This man needs to be punished. As a client I feel embarrassed, used, and ripped off. How dare this man take my money, ALL OF OUR MONEY, knowing he's closing his doors and running. He is a coward. Gary Ferone was accused and convicted of Securities Fraud in 1996 for steeling over a million dollars in client funds. Ths man has to be stopped. If you would like to convey your thoughts to him you may do so at: /removed/. Or visit him at /removed/. This is the man that stole your money, never paid his employees, and filing chapter 7 to get out of all of it.

Any questions????
A  15th of Jan, 2010 by
NYS sues and seeks to enjoin Great Date Now and Meet Over Drinks

Click here to read the story:

Click here to read the petition:

Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Ah, Meet Over Drinks/Greatdate...2004-2008 --RIP. In short, I was a client for a few years and had a roller coaster mixed experience. In fairness they did some things well and others poorly, and yes, the personnel turnover was APPALLING after a while. I would like to single out a few matchmakers and assistants for singular praise--Jen Forde and Luella Lusk-Balint tried very hard and gave me some excellent matches. Other matchmakers were abysmal, like one named Darlene, a condescending, abrasive harpie who only lasted a few months and treated clients like dirt. Many of the firm's female clients were in fact exceptionally beautiful, likeable women. But all too often matches were incompatible, women I had zero attraction to, different goals and personalities, located too far away, etc. I was given numerous matches in NY after explaining no less than 15 times that I wished to focus on Westchester and CT. I was given a few divorced women after stating clearly that I didn't really want matches who had been married. I was VERY explicit about what I seek in a mate, and my criteria are very reasonable. I love real, everyday women best of all. So their attentiveness to client wishes was erratic at best. Also, speaking verbally to your actual matchmaker was damn near impossible once you joined up. All "feedback" and concerns went through the ever-changing cast of assistants, who seemed downright phobic about just letting you speak to the Head Match Maker. However, Jen Forde DID return my phone calls a few times and I had some good dates over the time I was a member. The entire summer of 2008 they did NOTHING for me all summer, as they were experiencing a spell of staff turnover and didn't even return phone calls until I sent a very angry email. Still, the lack of coordination was exasperating. Also, once the format changed, they just threw contact info at you with very little real service. A further problem, and this was NOT altogether the agency's fault, lay in the fact that so many female clients were simply inconsiderate, flighty and unserious, yet would be the first to wonder why they "can't meet any good guys." I was matched with a beautiful, shapely Venezuelan brunette, seemed classy and cultured, we hit it off big-time on the date, and she effusively asked ME out again, only to blow off my calls and lie to GreatDate about me and a "total lack of chemistry." Another attractive match, a CT blonde, shared a great evening with me, we talked openly about anything under the sun, we laughed, seemed to share a strong mutual attraction, and we had all but set up a second date, when she emailed a few days later and claimed she had met someone that week and "decided to be exclusive." Sure you did. Still another, a pretty Armenian brunette, told GDN we were "in different worlds economically" despite having no idea what I earned or had in the bank. One flake after another--no agency, good or bad, can ever find a man to satisfy all the Little Miss Princess Complexes out there. That said, I hope that bum Gary goes to jail for all he put so many customers through, the unfulfilled wishes and dreams, and what he did to his good employees, of which he did have some. I only ever met him once, when I first joined, and after that he was like the Wizard Of Oz. I'm trying It's Just Lunch and going back to blind-dating fix-ups through friends. Already, so far, the IJL folks have at least been nice. It can't be any worse than MOD/GDN wound up to be. Good luck everybody!!
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Thinking about it, that would be a sweet irony--if Gary Ferone does in fact serve a stint in the Graybar Hotel, he'll be getting all the "great dates" he can handle. Have a ball, Gary!!
And ladies, a last Dating Tip that MOD didn't give you but I will : before you spend a grand or more on a dating service, please be over your ex-boyfriends. Expressing interest in a guy, then skipping back to your ex the minute the jackass you broke up with 29 times picks up the phone, isn't really cool treatment toward the new person who just wants to make you and himself happy.
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It is a HUGE rip off. I am a single mom that jsut moved from out state here with my special needs child. I was afraid to allow to let people I didn't know into my life. I was recommended this service. If only to meet some friends. Terrible. I was taken and that was money I was saving for vacation. I thought with the background check I would be safe... I should have done more checking in their background. signed disgusted
N  26th of Jan, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i am ready to meet the men on meet over drinks and now i cant get through to them all i get is the answering machine no one is returning my emails or messages i am mad i payed money and no matches i mean none. angela
N  4th of Feb, 2010 by