Great Date Now / Scam

Save your $2500 and select another dating/introduction service. The matchmaker from the Morristown office, Kim Catambalta was a scam artist. She misrepresented the service provided describing it as "personalized" meanwhile once you join you're pawned off onto an assistant matchmaker who is really a glorified receptionist. There was never any follow through and once you pay there doesn't seem to be any motivation on their part to make good on what they describe. The asst match maker left suddenly and then the matchmaker herself disappeared. I found this out only by calling the office and speaking to the new person who lasted all of 3 weeks. All of the advertising this service has done is a bunch of hooey. Again save your money. The Englewood Cliffs office has a BBB claim filed against it that has yet to be answered. Seems like they have problems honoring their contracts.

Va

Comments

• Ni
      5th of Jul, 2008

You are totally right! I am currently a member of GDN and Kim set me up with a man who had terrets syndrome! He ticked his way throughout our entire dinner! I heard she (KIM) got fired! I am an attractive, educated and sophisicated woman who didn't need to spend all that money to be set up with the mentally challenged! I am now convinced there are no decent men left out there!

• Am
      21st of Jul, 2008

I too feel that I was scammed, signed up with Kim and never heard back from her and still haven't been introduced to ANY one. I am shocked to think that this company is taking our money and for sure, many others have fell into the same trap and will continue to do so - they do not return calls and I suspect they don't even have enough men in their data base to match us with! The GreatDateNOw Morristown office is clearly a scam!

22nd of Jul, 2008

I too was taken by Kim at the Morristown office. These people are crooks. I spoke with the customer service person in Connecticut and got no satisfaction. We should unite and at least get our money back.

22nd of Jul, 2008

They CLEARLY do not have enough men in their database. It's so bogus that during my initial meeting with the Englewood Cliffs matchmaker, she kept bringing up guys that she thought would be great matches for me just to get me to sign up. Suddenly they are all unavailable? If you figure out a way to get a refund, please let us all know!

30th of Jul, 2008

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and called the Matchmaking Institute in New York. They certify matchmakers and will work directly with GDN's owner Gary Ferrone.

Keep on these people, they do not deserve to be in business.

• Je
      5th of Aug, 2008

IT is a shame that people would spend so much money to find a mate. Put your money into a new hair style, pedicure, manicure, outfit and maybe a new attitude. Stop looking for the perfect mate through someone else eyes and maybe lower your standards just a little and then you will not run into the problems you all have faced. Good Luck!

• Da
      7th of Aug, 2008

People who don't know what they are talking about should mind their own business, but anyway...
    I'm having the same problem with the Red Bank office. They fed me a bunch of crock to get my $ and now they don't return my phone calls or emails. We should all get together and hire a lawyer and get our $ back because they should not be allowed to get away with this.

12th of Aug, 2008

And the plot thickens... I actually went on a date with a guy who told me he as "doing this as a favor" for Beth in the Danbury office. There are NOOOOOO men clientele and they are calling men out of a phone book at random. I have been on three lousy dates in the past 7 months and paid $3, ooo. I have been through 4 assistants in the home office that I had signed up in. Gary Ferrone's father is a Judge in Westchester (maybe retired at this point), but I feel that the only recourse we would have would be a class action suit for misrepresentation of the company and the services provided. I'm up for it if you are?

• Mi
      12th of Aug, 2008

Funny how there's no Danbury Office listed. Sounds like people are making up stories here.

"I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and called the Matchmaking Institute in New York. They certify matchmakers..."

The Better Business Bureau doesn't certify matchmakers anymore then they certify rocket scientists.

• Ke
      12th of Aug, 2008

I take exception to your comments! Having paid $3500 myself, as well as several friends who have done the same, it is obvious that men are not free. Should the problem be that you spend far to much energy finding reasons to complain rather than enjoy the process? Could it be that your complaints are reflective of your personality? I do not understand the disdain you have. Several times I have been sent on dates with very attractive (physically) women; when in conclusion, I have no desire to go out again because the venom I listen to is ugly to the bone.

My only complaint about Great date now is that they may need to provide more counseling to the ladies. There are less men than women, but it may because people like me became so disillusioned by the singles scene that many men just prefer to work rather than date and therefore do not explore services such as Great Date Now. I will be sending my matchmaker a box of chocolate when I sign off of this response. Thank you.

• Su
      12th of Aug, 2008

You know the expression "one bad apple spoils the bunch?" It sure sounds like a couple of you are just looking for reasons to complain - but I guess that is, unfortunately, what these boards are all about. I mean no disrespect to any of you personally, as it sounds like many of you have great confidence in your reasons for complaining. I simply find it suspicious that a company that has offered me good service could have let others down so blatantly and it sounds to me like some of you who have posted complaints perhaps have been a little unrealistic. Unlike some of you, I am not perfect and I had had trouble dating prior to my joining
    Great Date...this is why I decided to join. I have since gone out of
    several guys who I thought were decent, kind people, and I am currently dating someone who I met through the service. Again, I'm sure you have your reasons...I guess I don't share your views.

• Li
      15th of Aug, 2008

I have been a member of GDN for 6 months.
    I travel often, and had arranged a system wherein during my stays in NYC, I would be introduced to someone (by prior arrangement & schedule coordination). However, there was no reliable follow through. Phone calls were not returned and the woman - Dawn - who interviewed me and appeared to offer a personalized, thoughtful service did not return calls after our initial meeting. The women I have spoken to subsequently neither know the candidates (origins, interests, values) nor work w/my schedule - however well in advance I provide availabe times.

During my one date in 6 months, I learned upon arrival that the man was expecting a 'Russian lady'. He - as well- was grievously misrepresented both physically and personally. Most importantly, it was clear - and we both agreed - that our 'matchmakers' had not compared notes at all and had misrepresented us both. I am not Russian for one thing, he is not tall or brown haired, or 40-something...After briefly listening to the stories of his conquests and reliance on prostitutes, I got up and left.

I never received an apology from the matchmakers yet heard infinite excuses from the receptionists who 'assist'. But only when I called.

The bottom line has been that there is no accountability or dedication to the service offered. It is a scam, yes.

17th of Aug, 2008

For those of you who are "taking offense" to our freedom to complain on a "COMPLAINT BOARD, " let me respond to a few comments:

"Put your money into a new hair style, pedicure, manicure, outfit and maybe a new attitude" - I personally have a nice hairstyle, trendy clothes and get a manicure/pedicure weekly. As a matter of fact, I take better care of myself than most. I also have a very demanding career which leaves me little time to meet the high quality man I am looking for. Settle for lowering my standards?? Ha! That is laughable!

To the woman who had trouble dating before GDN. I am happy for you that the service has worked for you. I on the other hand, do not have any trouble finding men to date, they are simply not the caliber of men I am looking for. Perhaps GDN is designed to help those who are shy, introverted, homebodies which is fine. However, they should not be touting themselves as personalized matchmakers for upscale ATTRACTIVE singles. That is definitely not the case in my experience.

And finally, to the folks who don't understand why we are complaining for lack of service. This is a complaint board. We have dished out thousands of dollars and can't even get an email or phone call returned. THAT alone is enough to frustrate anyone.

• Li
      11th of Sep, 2008

Wow!! I have no idea who would post the above complaint about Dawn and Nancy because I have had nothing but the utmost success with this Matching Service and Dawn has hit it out of the ball park. I just went out with a perfect gentleman last evening and was pleasantly surprised that he is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Dawn had discussed it with me, created my excitement, and Nancy was pleasant and confirmed all details. Two of my other friends belong to this service with Dawn as their Matchmaker and enjoying every minute of it! I guess there are those with nothing better to do then to try and demoralize others because they are not satisfied with themselves. I believe this company and my Matchmaker has changed my life for the better!!

12th of Sep, 2008

Well except for Lisa virtually all of the people who commented share my view that GDN seems to be a scam. I had a similar experience joining a few months ago and since the initial meeting with Jennifer Forde of the Purchase, NY office had little contact with her. I was contacted by her Assistant Matchmaker Meghan and went on two disappointing dates but remained hopeful that with my feedback they would continue to narrow down the search and find someone that I was more compatible with. Then after a period of non returned phone calls and e-mails I found out one night getting Jennifer on the phone by chance, that Meghan had left. Shortly thereafter I was contacted by two 'Assistant Matchmakers' from their Darien, CT and Englewood Cliffs, NJ offices who were nice but totally ineffective and unresponsive again to voice mail and email messages left for them. When I persisted and called the Purchase office several times, leaving both e-mail and voice mail messages for Jennifer which again, went unanswered, I ultimately spoke to a person named Katie, who advised me Jennifer had moved on as well and that she was ramping up.

My latest complaint was in writing to Katie, in which I asked her to please forward my complaint to someone in a position of authority to either re-negotiate my contract or provide a refund for services not rendered. Katie wrote back saying she'd be happy to refer my complaint to 'customer service' (hardly a 'personalized approach') and that though GDN is going through a 'restructuring she hopes will improve communications in future' she assured me she is doing her utmost to catch up on over 1, 000 emails etc. Why should this be our problem? We paid for and deserve the services they claimed to provide. I paid $3500 and have received what I believe amounts to nothing and want my money back as well as compensation for my time to resolve this matter if it drags on much longer!

This amounts to what I believe is at the very least gross misrepresentation of their services, and possibly a legal breach of contract as well. I agree we should band together and retain a lawyer or at least get a consultation and decide on whether to proceed with a class action lawsuit. I know a few attorneys and can help get the wheels in motion. Please contact me if you are interested in pursuing this with me.

Mary Cioffi 203-496-0438

• Ka
      2nd of Oct, 2008

I believe all the complaints about Great Date Now. One of my friends went out on a date with a guy who had a free membership because he was the owners friend. Then a co-worker of mine told me once she joined she never heard a word again from her sales rep in Westchester. The woman acted very sweet and was so obvious in selling her, but she really wanted to meet someone, so she handed over the rediculous fee. Now every time she calls for a date, no one calls her back...It's a discrace! I was going to join if both my friends were successful, now I will find a more professional service. I'm sure my friends would love to help Mary if it meant getting their money back.

• D
      3rd of Oct, 2008

I am a guy and I signed up before I found these complaints.

I thought I was in good shape since they offerred me a discount. I figured they had too many women in the database and not enough guys. My only qualification was that they send me out with someone my age or younger. I had one date in 5 months and she was older than me.
    So they are equal opportunity scammers, not just taking advantage of women.

You live and you learn,

5th of Oct, 2008

Great Date Now from the Morristown office needs to refund money for lack of performance - if you know of anyone in my situation, please let me know. My experience is and was: They don't respond, they don't have dates available, they refuse to discuss any refunds or rebates for all the time and effort a client spends calling them. In other words, they n just fulfill their contract. They need to be fired by their clients and give us our money back. Janice 908 433 7058

• Mr
      15th of Oct, 2008

Absolutely. I have been disappointed many times with the Garden City Office. A few times they sent me out with girls and promised me they were thin, since I take great care of myself and am thin as well. When I got to each of these dates, I was mortified that they lied to me. The girls were all nice, but not what I was promised or expected. Therefore, they were wasted dates. They promised me they would never again send me out with a girl that didn't meet what my criteria was, so I called them every month for six months, with no luck. Then after the sixed month I called and was told my membership had ended! I am so disappointed and angry, all I want is for them to do the right thing and give me a refund. I have tried numerous times to talk to people who are in charge, and could never get past the secretary, who could never help me. I was promised that someone would call me back immediately, each time I called, and no one did. This is outrageous. Again, all I wanted was a fair shake. Just give me a partial refund and I'll be happy.

• Rp
      16th of Oct, 2008

I am a new member of GDN and most certainly think they are no good. After some aggressive marketing to get you to sign up, they all but forget about you. They sent me on a couple of horrid dates and also cancelled the last one. One of their "dates" even told me that they are scammers and wanted to know how much they had got me to pay - hardly the most romantic conversation to have with a date (and to think one coughed up money for this!). I don't recommend this useless service to anyone. Save your money because they don't have quantity or quality - they are obviously lying about their database and the quality of dates is an insult to your intelligence! If they did indeed have thousands of men in their database, their "arranged" dates wouldn't be so far apart - it's like they are looking on planet jupiter for a date!