Great Clips / worst job I ever have

1 Howell, NJ, United States Review updated:

I've worked for 3 Great Clips between 2006 and 2010. Each of course with the promise to be better than the last. The first one I worked for was in Bayville, NJ. It's no longer there because it was shut down by Great Clips Corporate. The manager, Lorraine who now works for "The Beachcomber Salon" in Point Pleasant, NJ, was stealing both money and product from the salon. When the assistant manager, who is a friend of mine to this day, told Lorraine she was "going to get to the bottom of it" (not knowing she was talking to the thief herself) she was fired the next day. I unknowingly was now scheduled for the night shift. After about a week of being verbally abused by Loraine I put two and two together and figured out what was going on. She was trying to frame me! So I quit. A yr later it was shut down and to this day every Great Clips in NJ knows about this.
The Great Clips I worked for was in Howell, NJ. I was assured that what had gone on before does not go on there. I was also assured that within a month or two I would be sent to training (if you don't go, you can't remain working there) within 2 months. Lets start with I was there 4 months and still hadn't been sent. Around month 2-3 she hired some new girls, who completely were a waste of time and space. They couldn't cut hair and we started getting re cuts and complaints daily. Of course they were sent to training above me who on a regular basis brought in 44%-63% of the productivity (everything was computerized). We were only expected to have a productivity of 24%-27%. My hours then got cut to accommodate the new hires. I had a mortgage to pay and explained this to Rita, the manager who sucked at managing, and all I was told was it wasn't my fault and it was the way it was. Then I was expected to come in on a whim when one of these new hires or anyone else for that matter called out, however if I called out I got ### on. I’m not sure if it’s known fact or not but in order to work fro Great Clips you must do a haircut in 13-17 minutes. Now I’m fast and have had my license a while now, so I’m not some spring chicken in this business, and still depending on the length and thickness this is impossible, at least if you want to give a good hair cut. Of course you get guys who literally get a baldy, this takes maybe 6-7 minutes going at a snails pace. However I’ve gotten reamed out because I came in under the hair cut time. WTF am I suppose to do? The 5 steps others talk about is juts a way to control their employees. Mind you once a month your manger does a rating based on all this to determine whether or not you can remain working for Great Clips.
Long Story short I ended up quitting and working for a Great Clips in freehold, lets say it was so bad I lasted 2 weeks. We were threatened that if we didn’t sell product we would be terminated. Mind you the product is over priced and we were forced to force it on people, which never works. Also you couldn’t sit down, other wise you had to clock out and go in the back. We had to clock out to take out the garbage. They put too many girls on at once, this way no one got productivity over the norm so no one could get commission. It was ran like a Nazi boot camp. They watched your every move via cameras that were hooked up to the computers at home. If you weren’t cutting hair you had to clean EVERYTHING. Even once you were done you had to start cleaning from the beginning of the 2 page chore list. I’m kind of a smart ### so in an hour on a slow night I cleaned everything then proceeded to relax in my chair to wait for customers. I received a phone call telling me I hadn’t cleaned. I then without the list in front of me recited it to the own and said if you were watching you would have seen me clean the shop top to bottom. I was told to do it again. The next day I quit. So I warn even those who are on the brink of homelessness do not under any circumstances work for this company!

Comments

• My
      10th of Nov, 2014

Absolutely agree with complaint. Great Clips are independently owned and owners only want your money. They employ stylists with little or no experience. Their coupons are everywhere and would seem like a great deal if only the customer could receive a decent hair cut. I could only speak of the salons in New Jersey. Nobody Cares!!!