Great American Readers / fraud scam

Im an a college student. This company (Great American Readers) called me to tell me I had won 1000 dollar online gift card and would only need to pay $49.99 a month for 60 something magazines. Then, they asked for my card number. After looking up the company online I couldn't find it and only found complaints about it being a fraud. I politely told the man I was talking to that I did not want to give my card number out and he get got very defensive. After not agreeing to give him my number, he hung up on me. Don't fall for this company please.

Ni

Comments

• Do
      5th of Sep, 2013

I have actually been scammed by this company, they told me that I had won a 250.00 gift certificate which I never received. To "spice it up" when they started their magazine crap, the lady on the phone said it was her "first day on the job and that I needed to help her out by signing up for this subscription." Through her very poor English she told me I would receive 2 magazines a month for 20 months and that after a one time payment of 49.90 the remaining payments would be 10.00 a month. I also was under the impression that these were the subscriptions to "Guns Magazine" and " Tactical Pro" which I had requested with the NRA. I though that GAR was simply the distributor used by the NRA to sell their magazines. Frankly 10.00 a month really isn't that bad and these were going to be magazines I would enjoy reading, so I agreed to the 2 magazines for 20 months for 10.00. Then when the "one time payment" was subtracted on my statement, I didn't give it a second thought. However, once I saw the same "one time charge" had been repeated I immediately contacted GAR to address the problem. It was then I was informed by a so called "manager" I had signed up for 5 magazine subscriptions for 49.90 a month for 20 months. This was absolutely not what I was told when I had agreed to the charges and promptly asked for a refund to which they simply refused and began to assure me they would "work with me on my payments." I have just simply gone to my bank and closed my account and opened a new one with a new check card. Their "financial department" still calls my phone twice daily stating "its very important I return their call regarding my account." I have yet to hear from their scammers in crime the "big scary collection agency", but I will be getting a new phone in a month anyway and will be changing my number. My advice to anyone reading this is don't ever give bank account or card numbers over the phone and never take freebies because there is always a nasty catch.