Great American Readers / magazine scam

1 P.O. Box 20051Bloomington, MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-704-5419

My 20 yr old daughter apparently fell for this scam as well. She doe not live at my home at the present but receives mail here. She received a letter claiming that she owed 164.70 in past due charges of $49.90/month plus late charges and the total was 848.30 for the entire balance for some kind of magazines. I called these people at the above number. The first person told me he was the owner and that she was obligated to pay. I told them that she was a 20yr old waitress and that there was no way in hell she could pay 848.30 or anything else but to cancel it. He told me no then told me to tell my good for nothing waitressing daughter to have a nice life being a low life waitress and then he hung up. Of course this outraged me so I called back. Got some other ### and was told that she was liable, played a recorded message of her accepting this offer and so forth. I told them that my lawyer would be in touch as well as the BBB of which I will file a complaint. She initially had received a couple of magazines but has not in several months. Either way who in their right mind would pay 848.30 for magazines or even a shopping spree worth 1000.00. This is a total scam and they continue to call us daily, both on her number and mine. I sit here waiting to receive the next call because I will also play their game. I am going to record their conversation with me as well because this isnt over yet and I will take them to court as we all should.

Jl

Comments

• Ze
      5th of Apr, 2010

My friend had alerted the bank who eventually allowed the charge to go through. After contacting the bank again they said we had to at least contact the agency, which we did and threatened to report them to the BBB. Also, since it was a cell phone they called we reported them to the FCC for being on the Do Not Call list.

We then called the bank and said that they were a scam company and refused to reverse the false charges. After calling GAR every day for a week they actually said they would cancel it. Somewhere between that the charge WAS reimbursed!

However we still get magazines randomly all the time. We tape them shut and black out the address, write RETURN TO SENDER- NO SUBSCRIPTION!

Note the dates any magazines are called and contact the Customer Service Department to ensure they are getting them back and that the mailman isn't keeping them.

• Cr
      7th of Apr, 2010

I have several of these magazines services and i have told them not to renewal, and once i think i am talking to one company like readers service i am talking to family readers service, these people are scamers, i am about to close my checking account and my debit card so no more charges are going thru, i can't afford them anymore, but afraid to of going to court, not sure what my options are, since they say they have me on record. does anyone know what to do in these kind of situations, i am about to say hell with it, and just close everything. i have 6 mazazine companies collecting. any help would be appreciate, also i am for anyone that believes these people are scammers and should be shut down. we should be able to cancel at any time.

• Al
      6th of Oct, 2010

Same here I agree this is a load of crap when they tell you 1000.00 gift certiicate you think online shopping not the crap in the select your gift crap!!!

20th of Jan, 2016

I totally agree. I got duped into buying these magazines also. They said they sent me an affirmation letter with the option to cancel, which I never received. So they sent me another one, but of course it was past the cancellation period. I told the person who called me that I didn't want to continue the subscription but she told me I couldn't cancel because it was past the time. I finally contacted my bank and got a new debit card so they could not continue to bill me. These people should be put in jail for what they are doing to us consumers!!

• Sh
      18th of May, 2016

I also have had problems with this company please help

• Sh
      18th of May, 2016

All American readers is a scam

25th of May, 2016

So I was drawn into this $250 gift card that I was sooo eligible for. So I applied for it and along with it was supposed to be some magazines of my choice. They said it was supposed to be $3 a week but ended up charging me $49. So when later that day i decided to opt out of this thing, I called the number back and they didnt answer and the phone lines kept dropping. I called my bank to dispute the matter and to receive another debit so soon ill be getting my money back.

• Tu
      20th of Apr, 2017

This company is definitely scamming. Just called and was told no canceling. They are charging $998 for $571 worth of magazines and that is not with special offers so the actual total would be less.

• Al
      26th of Feb, 2018

I also was charged without my permission! I never received any magazine! I called 888-906-0162 (from the print out they send me in the mail) and tried to make sure it wouldn’t happen again by canceling again (I had already send my notice to cancel by email) and the man said that it showed I had not canceled and that they had sent it to another company! What a scam! He said they would call me. I asked for that businesses number at least so I could call and he said he didn’t have it! What a scam!!! They are Scum! One address says from All American Readers Inc. 2230St. Louis Park NM 55426, 888-906-0162 (this is the # I reached this man on). The other address which charged my account traces back to a FL address under the name Readers Service 80026 800-2694179 FL#2357!!