Great American Readers / cannot cancel

1 PO BOX 20051Bloomington, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-704-5419

This company is a SCAM. They hook you in stating that you will get all these magazines and a 1000 gift certificate to shop on line for gifts. Well when I spoke to a lady when I first signed up I figured magazines would be great and I asked if I could cancel at any time and the lady told me yes, BUT when I went to cancel they said I passed my date to cancel. What BULL, they want to send me to collections for over 700 dollars (the balance was like 900.00) then they threatened to send me to some Firm that collects uncollected debts and said that they were going to GARNISH my wages! the the representative names LAURA hung up on me and told me that she was documenting that I refused to pay a finance agreement! What is she talking about ! Dont ever sign up with these people. The gift certificate is BS because I went on line and the gift were crap like bookbags and fake leather jackets and the certificate expires in 30 days. WHo wants that crap. DONT do it and Dont believe these people that they will garnish your wages its BS. Im reporting them to the BBB as we speak !

Mi

Comments

• Mh
      19th of Mar, 2010

i was told that they are going to take me to court for refusing to pay them any longer. can they really do that? im kinda scared and i dont know what to do

• Ze
      5th of Apr, 2010

My friend had alerted the bank who eventually allowed the charge to go through. After contacting the bank again they said we had to at least contact the agency, which we did and threatened to report them to the BBB. Also, since it was a cell phone they called we reported them to the FCC for being on the Do Not Call list.

We then called the bank and said that they were a scam company and refused to reverse the false charges. After calling GAR every day for a week they actually said they would cancel it. Somewhere between that the charge WAS reimbursed!

However we still get magazines randomly all the time. We tape them shut and black out the address, write RETURN TO SENDER- NO SUBSCRIPTION!

Note the dates any magazines are called and contact the Customer Service Department to ensure they are getting them back and that the mailman isn't keeping them.

• Ka
      1st of Jun, 2010

I got suckered in too. My husband was in iraq and I had an infant. I thought oh how great, ship the magazines to me and I can go shopping. I tried to cancel it about 3 months ago and they refused, my husband called them and took down all their names, and asked to speak to the head guy which we were told was the owner. My husband left his name and number and was told the owner would call him back. they never did. One lady even lied to him. Finally I just canceled my card and they've called several times wanting me to make an alternate payment. What should I do? If I just stop paying them will i get in trouble?