Grant Writing Workshops / Failure to pay speakers, reimburse consumers for conferences that didn't happen

1 900 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 828, 90017Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (888) 824 - 4424

If anyone is interested in grant writing workshops, do your homework before sending these folks any money--or before you conduct a workshop on their behalf.

Visit a website at www.the-grant-institute.com, which lists numerous complaints including links to a press release from the California Attorney General's office warning consumers and a report about consumers in Alaska who collectively lost some $30, 000 in registration fees for a workshop that never happened. The State of Texas has apparently banned them from doing workshops in their state. Another link is to the LA Better Business Bureau where the company has an 'F' rating.

Reports indicate that consumers who register and either never have a workshop or have a speaker who is either only there for part of the time or who is not an experience grant writer are not able to get refunds. At least some speakers (who were contacted at the last minute to 'fill-in' due to a family emergency of the scheduled speaker who apparently doesn't exist) were reportedly never paid for their services. Telephone numbers suddenly don't work or message boards are too full to leave messages; emails are returned as non-deliverable.

The site also has information on where and how to file complaints with authorities.

Beware.

Sc

Comments

• Sc
      10th of Dec, 2010

I was also scammed by the Grant Institute. I am a 25 year veteran grant writer who fell for their scam that the "the presenter could not make it to Philadelphia on-time to teach a three-day class." They told me 30 workshop attendees were waiting for the no-show instructor at Phoenix University in Philly (which may be co-conspirators) and they desperately needed a replacement within the hour. They wanted my to drop everything at a moments notice and drive into Philly to reassure the class that I would be teaching the 2nd and 3rd day. They Expressed mailed my contract with a fraudulent check for $3, 100 and knew by the time the class I was teaching was over (2 days) the check would bounce and I would not be paid for my services. They also promised the class they would all get a refund the first day of workshop which didn't happen but did not happen. Five people chose not to attend the workshop at all after the no-show instructor stunt and never received a penny back of the $500 or $ 600 refund they were due. I sued The Grant Institute in small claims court and won but have never seen a dime of the $3, 100 payment agreed to in our contract. All said and done everyone who participated was ripped off and they are still in business. How does this happen in America?

• Sc
      10th of Dec, 2010

I was also scammed by the Grant Institute. I am a 25 year veteran grant consultant who fell for their ploy that "the presenter could not make it to Philadelphia on-time to teach a three-day class." They told me 30 workshop attendees were waiting for the no-show instructor at Phoenix University in Philly (which may be co-conspirators) and they desperately needed a replacement within the hour. They wanted my to drop everything at a moments notice and drive into Philly to reassure the class that I would be teaching the 2nd and 3rd day. They Expressed mailed my contract with a fraudulent check for $3, 100 and knew by the time the class I was teaching was over in 2 days the check would bounce and I would not be paid for my services. They also promised to refund the class for the first day of workshop which they also neglected to do. Five people chose not to attend the workshop at all after the no-show instructor stunt and never received a penny back of the $500 or $ 600 refund they were due. I sued The Grant Institute in small claims court and won but have never seen a dime of the $3, 100 payment agreed to in our contract. All said and done everyone who participated was ripped off and they are still in business.