Grant Writers Research Institute / Fraudulent Grant Search

1 5984 Six Forks Rd Ste. BRaleigh, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-858-8600

I was contacted by Winona Akins about the potential for receiving a grant to purchase a home as I have never owned a home. I authorized them to charge my credit card $995.00 to allow them to conduct the search and submit the grant for me. I received several papers about grants that are available that also charge a processing fee of an average of $395.00.

The paperwork sent to me explains that the company does not write the grants for me, but they can process the applications for an additional fee of $265.00 per page or they will charge me $1000 to attend grant writing classes.

The listing of the grants was sent on 11/24/08, and one of the eight grant descriptions they sent has an expiration date of 11/28/08 and the remaining seven state that the responder needs to contact the grant offices for the expiration dates. One of the grants requires that credit approval must be dated prior to 10/1/08, but as I previously stated the grants were sent 11/24/08. The grants also do not state whom is presenting the the grants. One company ceases to exist on 11/28/08.

The application forms for the grant research required my date of birth and social security number.

In requesting my niece's help with writing my grants, she looked at the paperwork and explained to me that the business appeared to be fraudulent, and I needed to contact my local police department, the three credit bureaus, and my credit card company.

She also stated that I should file complaints with the state attorney general's office and the better busineess bureau because companies do not charge for grant research. Grants are free, people do not charge for processing the grant applications.

I have contacted the company and was unable to get my money back because they have claimed they have fufilled the obligations, and that I qualified for some grants.

I am an elderly male and I thought that this was an opportunity to own a home, I was unaware that there are people seeking to take advantage of people my age.

Comments

• Me
      25th of Jan, 2009

I believe that my husband and I have both been scammed by GWRI too. I got their book and phone numbers for counseling sessions, true, but when I call the numbers the counseling sessions are not live, but recorded, leaving no opportunity for questions. Also, the counseling sessions are verbatim out of the book, and still just as difficult to understand. I am filing a complaint with the authorities.

• Me
      25th of Jan, 2009

Also wanted to add that we were scammed out of a total of $1, 990.00...$995.00 for their research of organizations that offer grant monies for various projects, and $995.00 for the book and six counseling sessions, which I described in my other post were recorded, not live, leaving no opportunity for asking questions/advice, and verbatim from the materials. As I mentioned previously, I am going to file a complaint with the authorities.

• Sh
      1st of Apr, 2009

Grants are free, that is true, however there are a few legitimate companies that will find the grants that you may qualify for, and for that they charge a fee. I also worked with GWI last year and found them to be both courteous and effective. I didn't receive as much money as I wanted, but they sure helped me get moving in that direction. I'm not sure why you had such a bad experience, but I guess with all companies, things can go wrong and with grant funding especially there are no guarantees. Like I said, I didn't get exactly what I wanted but I still have more than I started out with.

10th of Jul, 2009

I had a similar experience to those described and submitted a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Kansas City (they were located in Paoli Kansas at the time of my encounter). Fortunately, very shortly after I became involved with them I took detailed notes of all communications. Those are available, to anyone interested, at http://kansascity.bbb.org/complaint/view/99228318/c/k2a2jc .
    and go to the line at the bottom "more info received from consumer". I did wind up getting my money back as a result of this complaint.

• Pu
      18th of Jul, 2009

This March of 2009, I decided to try for a grant and not knowing to me what a fraud this company was, I went with the Grant Writers Institute. I received their grant writers book for a charge of $69.00. I looked through the book and then was contacted by a Michael Upchurch from Grant Writer's Institute who told me I will be with you, I understand your situation, have a blessed day and go to the nearest Fed Ex facility and he will fax me the documents. Of course, this did cost me close to $1, 000.00 on credit cards, as my husband and I are going through a terrible financial situation as he could not work the summer of 2008, as when he went for his colon test, he had to have a cancerous mass removed, which required chemtherapy. I had to cover all of our bills on my job plus my mortgage, and my new car payment as in 2007, my car skidded on black ice going home and I was in a near fatal car crash and my car overturned and hit a pole and a tree, but I was very lucky. I am paying for a new car and of course our insurance rates went up tremendously even if I did not hit anyone else, so these are two of my stories so I had to take a very big chunk out of whatever savings and my 401K because at work my colleague and I were outsourced, we still support our company but our benefits start a new 401K and our pay is under another company. I was charged $5000.00 to take out part of my other company's 401K which I had to because of my husband's medical condition. So naturally, I am all excited to get a grant, so I am putting the money on various credit cards so it is not one lump sum, as I have good credit and always pay my bills on time. My husband is okay now but he still is not making very much and we have to work together. Since March of 2008, I have worked with Courtnee Robinson who was working on my proposals. I forgot to mention they found 8 grants for what they thought would be good. I was looking for $80, 000 to help us with bills, medical, house repairs which we cannot afford, we can't even afford to retire. The Grant Writers Institute charged me $1, 060.00 to write a total of 2 grants for me which I had to use my credit cards again since no cash was available. To this date, Michael Upchurch and Courtnee Robinson are not longer with the Grant Writers and now a Kimeka Wineglass, if that is her name got my account. This woman called me approximately 2 times one of which I was home on a vacation day and called her and she suddenly said, Oh I was just going to call you. Really? Well, let me tell you I sent her some very lengthy voice mails along with e-mailing the grant writers institute on why they do not call you back or e-mail you back. I received my two proposals finally about two weeks ago with errors and it said if you have any questions or find anything to change to contact them within 14 days, I did this the very next day. I only got one call from this cold vindictive Kimeka Wineglass(1-877-296-7300, extension 4543). She sent me one e-mail stating she has been trying to contact me she would be glad to do the changes for me and I e-mailed her back well is this on the level, because I went to the website and did not hear good things about the grant writers. I have not heard from her since, but I said I work for large corporation and I by no means am not stupid or foolish. I contacted what credit cards I remember putting charges on and explained to them I want to claim fraud and whatever they can do I would appreciate, even if the money we could not afford to give is lost. I also have my cards registered with another company in case of fraud. We used to be in a good position, but with this world and at age 55 and my husband is 57, I did not think ever that I would have to worry that I am going to lose everything. I have been trying to get a loan modification, I have been contacting so many people I have to contact to help me. I will not let my husband or my little dog or myself down, as we do not have children.

I am sorry for the long letter, but please if you or anyone can help us, please I ask God for help every day. These grant writer people at this institute should all be put in jail. How would they like money stold from them if they were in a critical financial situation. If I was a judge, I would throw the book at all of these evil evil people who steal money and promise, you will get a grant you will get at least 3 grants and if you don't they say in their paperwork which I still have everything, you will get a $790.00 refund back if you contact them. I am afraid to send documents to The Mesa Foundation out of Arizona, and I am supposed to be in the Netwish Foundations list.

MY E-MAIL IS stacytaraking1@aol.com. Please let me know if you can help us. My husband's e-mail is captstonefinger@aol.com.

Thank you.

• Ne
      10th of Aug, 2009

i am also a victims of this company, Grant Writers institute. the name darlene hoskinson, ext. # 4304 she wa the one who's doing my application. I paid almost 4 thousand . my 1st payment was$790.00, 2nd payment $1100.00 third payment $1590.00 +$265.00 per page they charge me. until now i did not receive any calls from her.

my email is, karnoto2003@yahoo.com