Grant Research Guide / Internet scam

Phone: 1-888-276-8105

I thought I was signing up for a "FREE CD" that would provide information on researching and applying for small business grants. After submitting my information on the website to get my "FREE CD Today-" I was sent to a second page that asked if I wanted "instant access" (to the CD) for $1.95 (I'm thinking this is a downloading fee) or to "ship the CD" for $2.95, I chose instant access, never got the CD information and was charged a $49.50 monthly charge for "access to the website"!!! I called and canceled only to discover that they WILL NOT give me a refund for this service that I did not receive and did not intend to use. So I'm out 50 bucks for trying to order a "Free CD" to help write grants to fund my business. I called the company and first they gave me an email address and after I didn't hear back after I emailed them I called the number again and talked to 3 different people who ALL eventually hung up on me when I asked to have a refund!!! Outrageous! TOTAL SCAM! Even though they did have the info about the monthly charge in fine print and the link to term and conditions, I feel they are preying on people who need money! So sick. I am disputing the charge on my Credit Card, but we'll see.

Wm

Comments

11th of Jul, 2008

I am in the same situation with this rip off. I agreed by phone to Mary, operator #960 to receive the free CD and promotional information about the online service that would cost $49.50 per month if I decided to keep the service. I have received nothing and my visa is being billed each month. I have to wait untill it is charged to refute the charges. What can we do to fight this crook?

• Do
      14th of Jul, 2008

I am really ticked off! They hung up on me 3 times when I asked for my money back. I kept calling back and getting the same person, Rebecca. She acted like we never spoke before. But she has the hang up thing down pat.

• Me
      18th of Jul, 2008

I had the same thing happen. I didn't know I was signing up for more than the $2.95 for the cd and am now out the $49.50. I did get the cd, but it is only a "navigational guide" to the website, not the website info on cd. I am going to contact Prepaid Legal Services and see if my lawyer through there can help at all.

• Je
      22nd of Jul, 2008

I was told to call this company after receiving info
    via my email and then 7 days to cancel or I would be
    charged. I never received an email so I tried to call
    the number and all I get is recordings and the voice
    mail box is full. I called my credit card company and
    I see they charged my accoutn 49.50 before 7 days but I have to wait until I am charged to dispute it. My credit card company says I can dispuit the bill but this comany could possiblye turn around and bill me again and I would have to dispuit it all over again.
    What is a person supposed to do.

• Sh
    Grant Research Guide - will not stop calling me
    Colorado Springs
    Colorado

My biggest mistake was when I answered the phone, all they wanted my my 16 digit debit card #. I told them this was very suspicious and to please NEVER call again. I called their customer service requesting not to be called. NOW they call me ever 15 minutes beginning at 9 a.m. until 10 p.m. every single day. Now I have to change my phone #? This is not fair and not right. There has to be some legal rights here. I never gave them my number - MAKE THEM STOP CALLING PLEASE!!!

• Mi
      22nd of Jul, 2008

All of you should know that government grant information is TOTALLY FREE and available to ANYONE online!

Grant resource books are also a COMPLETE WASTE of MONEY because the information in them is about 5 years old at any given time.

Many local colleges offer online grant search engines FREE as well as FREE advice on where to look.

Don't be fooled. These people are ripping you off for information you can always get FREE...and what they give you is outdated crap.

• Ba
      28th of Jul, 2008

These people are thieves. I'm filing a complaint with the Nevada Attorney General's Office.

The best way to prevent them from adding further charges is to cancel the "subscription" in writing, via certified mail or some other signature based delivery AND cancel the card you used and get one with a new number. I did that because Visa fraud called me I thought it was a fraudulent charge. So they can't charge me again, but I want money back.

1st of Aug, 2008

I am glad I searched for complaints before I signed up and gave my credit card info. Does anyone know if there are startup grants for small women owned business? Thanks

13th of Aug, 2008

I was not contacted by a sales rep., I was simply browsing the internet looking for grant information and came across this site. I paid the $1.95 for instant access and started using the site. I was skeptical at first, thinking that the information I would receive would point me in the direction of more expensive products to buy, but didn't see any of that. Instead, I was actually impressed by how much information I could get for my $1.95. Then my credit card security department called. I don't know how they flagged it, but they flagged a $49.50 charge to my card from "Grant Guide." Since I didn't recognize the charge, they cancelled my card and re-issued another. This certainly clears up a mystery for me, as I couldn't imagine them charging that to my credit card - but it appears that's exactly what they've done. Who do these people think they are?

• Vg
      16th of Aug, 2008

I'm worried - I just did this yesterday - I checked my bank account immediately and I only show a charge of $1.95. I've already sent an email at their site to cancel, however I do not find a phone number. What is the phone number that you have been calling?

• Mr
      17th of Aug, 2008
    Grant Research Guide - Fraud advertising
    Las Vegas
    Nevada
    Phone: 216-554-4765

SCAM COMPANY Ad on the web there would be no charge for the product/disc except to $1.95 for shipping and handling. I was charged $39.95 + $1.95 which caused my checking acct. to overdraft on 2 checks and now owe amy bank $107.17.

SO THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP THERE OF MESSING UP A PERSON WITH A DISABILITY STRUGGLING TO SURVIVE IN OUR LOVELY ECONOMY!!

K.G.Kattas.

• De
      20th of Aug, 2008

I also get calls every 30 minutes all day and have requested them to stop several times. I am taking a copy of my phone records to prove the harassment to legal means. I do not answer my phone anymore and maybe the legal system will be able to stop them. Good lick and if anyone knows how to get rid of them please comment.

• Cl
      22nd of Aug, 2008
    Grant Research Guide - Fraud
    Wisconsin

This is a huge scam. I have had my card charged the $2.95 and called to cancel the service as it listed a totally different company as charging my card. I signed up for Grant Research Guide but the company charging the $2.95 was Real Estate Resouce. NOT EVEN CLOSE. DO NOT GIVE INFO TO THIS COMPANY. I called to cance the service and a woman named Jennifer Johnson hung up on my when I said I didn't call to have Real Estate Resource tap my car. She said that I was spoken to on the phone and would not refund the $2.95 as it was unrefundable. THIS IS A HUGE SCAM!!!

• Lo
      22nd of Aug, 2008

The same thing happened to me! Not only did I get charged $1.95 for this, but they tacked on a $0.04 'foreign exchange fee' as well. I cancelled within 48 hours but these people need to be put out of business. They claim that they are a legit company based in the US, and use reps with American-sounding names (Rina, Celeste, and Sam are the 'people' I dealt with, but it was the same rep's picture every time. I kept asking questions; they kept giving me the runaround. No one in their right mind needs to deal with these scam artists. They are not US-based, they are in a boilerroom overseas! These people must cater to the illegal aliens because those are the ones who are scamming those who are here legally.

Do what you can to put an end to these scams!

23rd of Aug, 2008

Yes I unfortunatlly just gave them my information and would love to stop these people from doing what they did to me as well.

27th of Aug, 2008

This company is a fraud and also they are nasty when you call about it. They claim the small print in "their" agreement contract. I called 8 / 27 / 08 and talked with "rebecca" and because i would not give her my first name she hung up on and me. During our brief conversation she said that if "you linked" to their website that the link info was canceled and their document so to speak supersedes any other agreement you have read prior to getting to them. So do not use this fake company. They are not honest nor up front. They are using the internet as a front company to steal money from people. Also the cd does not work. You cannot open any pages nor view the information.

When i called back she hung up on me again. So i had to call back again.

I will write back to let you know if i ever got through again.

• Br
      27th of Aug, 2008
    Grant Research Guide - Says its 1.95 for info online and a week later charge your cc another $49.50
    www.grantresearchguide.com

The rope you in with a $1.95 charge to view online and then almost a week later hit you with a $49.50 charge that was not authorized. The bad thing is is now my rent check will bounce. I guess I learned a lesson the hard way and I will make sure I research better next time.

• Ga
      27th of Aug, 2008
    Grant Research Guide - I Want My Money Back!!!
    Grant Research Guide

I signed up for a newsletter for $2.97 a one-time only charge and these people are charging my credit card with $49.90 each month. This is totally unauthorized. What a shame with the hardships people are currently having.od329

• Ni
      28th of Aug, 2008

i have been through the same thing. i am out $50 bucks. i hope the FBI gets involved. they can kiss my ###!

• Be
      2nd of Sep, 2008

Same thing happened to me, I ordered this cd and I was charged the $1.95 and a $49.90 before I even got the cd, and when I finally got it and loaded it, there's not even any information on the cd, its just links and when you click on them their blank. I have wrote them requesting my $49.90 which I didn't authorize them to take in the first place, I am still waiting on a reply I sent it certified to make someone sign for it but still haven't heard any response. This is nothing but a scam!!! I'm not finished with them yet!!