Grant Instructor LLC / Unauthorized Charges

1 3155 East Patrick Lane Suite 1Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:

I got the "free" CD and so far I am $197 into the negative because of the $49.50 they pulled from my account. I tried for 2 days to get a hold of a real person there - I finally did - they can only refund $20 of it. I'm going to follow the advice here though and file a fraud alert. According to the "Grant Resource Center" there is a statement saying I would be charged in 7 days. Baloney! It took 10 days to receive the CD! This is so not right and I'm aggravated that companies can do this. Why on earth wouldn't they send an email or give a phone call letting you know that you're going to be charged? The number I have is [protected] and the address is:
Grant Resource Center
Grant Instructor LLC
3155 East Patrick Lane
Suite 1
Las Vegas NV 89120
DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE OR THEIR SCAM! It's not worth it. You will continue to be charged every month! Honestly, if you actually had an extra $49.50 would you need a grant???

Comments

• Li
      24th of Apr, 2008

I just had the same experience, only worse because I knew today was the day to cancel - but they'd already charged me! I've filed a complaint with the BBB in Nevada.

• Wd
      25th of Apr, 2008

i thought it was only 2.95, they have a racket going, turned them in to bbb in il

• Ru
      27th of Apr, 2008
    Grant Instructor LLC - Fraud
    62 Copeland St
    Boston
    Massachusetts
    Phone: 857 544 3485

The Grant CD does not open and no email was sent with the codes as stated each time I try and open it. Confirmation code is incorrect or too old

• Cy
      6th of May, 2008

I received the CD however I did not get a email with information on how to use it. The CD will not open up without it. I can't get through to any one for help. I will be reporting them to the Atty Generals office and better business bureau.

• Te
      7th of May, 2008

I also was taken advantage of. They absolutely refused to refund the 49.90 they had taken from my account. I have a bachelor's degree and am not an idiot. They take advantage of people. They must be stopped.

• Tr
      7th of May, 2008

I had the same problem. No confirmation email with any info. Could not find a phone number that got me anywhere until I looked at my bank account, their phone number was there, I called it, apparently 2 days too late. They informed me that my account had beeen charged $49.95 on May 6th. I tried to reason with them. They continued to lie and say that they had responded to the emails that I sent them. They did not. I even looked in my junk mail. NOTHING there. I told them that I would be posting this and they said that was fine and hung up on me.

• Ki
      7th of May, 2008

Well, now I am $387 overdrawn. When is this going to stop? I finally got a hold of a real person and she said the most they can refund is $20! Are you kidding me? The bank fraud department is still working on it but meanwhile everything I had in the bank is gone and I am so totally in the negative. This sucks :(

• El
      10th of May, 2008

I am also one of those who received the cd but not the code. The company has just taken out another $49.50 without my authorization. I want this action stopped immediately. Even if the company sent me the code, I do not want to be involved with them at all.

14th of May, 2008

They ripped me off for $50.00, and the CD took over a month to arrive. They told me that it was due to "bulk mail" issues. When I called demanding a refund for the $50.00 (let 'em keep their $2.95), I got a very snotty, argumentative young woman who didn't see anything wrong with them promising a CD, failing to deliver one in a timely fashion, and helping themselves to money I did not authorize them to take. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB, the FTC, and the Nevada Secretary of State.

14th of May, 2008

Oh, and here's their address if you want to pay them a visit in person (unless it's a mail drop):

3155 E. Patrick Lane, Suite 1
    Las Vegas, NV 89120

Their phone # is 800-235-1364

• Ph
      14th of May, 2008

this happened to me today! I called 4 times and kept getting the same guy, whats the odds? I think the is just 1 guy ripping people off. I told him i was going to get my 49.50s worth out on him or he could refund my money.I called the bbb and we need a address, but that seems like it might be a little differcult because there is so many different addresses on him. I am not done yet, I am going to find this guy and shut him down. I am going to get my moneies worth!!!

• Vr
      15th of May, 2008

I would like to thank you all for airing these problem because they contacted me and it could have been the same situation you all are having now but you folks saved me thanks! thanks! thanks!. Have you tried the attnorey general I live here in washington state and I contacted them for information. The gentlemen I spoke said they would help any consumer that got caught up in this scam!! try that. Please dont give up! Your hard earned money is your life.!! They also told me if its a true grant you don't have to pay a cent.

Thanks
    Vickie

• Ca
      16th of May, 2008

I wish I had seen this sight before signing up with theses guys. Yeah $2.95 my butt. Didn't get my CD til 8 days (that's one day after the "trial offer" ends), no confirmation email. BIG BIG SCAM!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! They don't have a conscience.

• Ev
      16th of May, 2008

I received my CD today and can not open it. No email when I ordered. Have put a flag on bank account so they can not take any more money out.

• Ga
      18th of May, 2008

Crap, crap, crap! [inserts lots of curse words] I'm one of the ones who also got suckered in. And I'm particularly ticked because I usually catch the "fine print" on every website.

I went back to the website and entered in dummy information, this time scanning the page from top to bottom, because I just had a feeling...and sure enough, at the bottom of the confirmation page where you enter in your credit card information, in tiny print, is this statement:

"By submitting this form I am ordering the Grant Resource Information and trial membership. After the seven day trial I will be charged $49.50 a month thereafter if I do not cancel. I have read and agree to the PRIVACY POLICY and Terms & Conditions. Cancel any time by calling 1-800-235-1364."

Because of the presence of this statement the company has legally - not morally, but when does that ever matter? - absolved itself of any wrongdoing. Never mind that it is in small print at the bottom of the page, where 90% or more of people are likely not to see it, especially if they don't scroll ALL the way down. You should still report them to the BBB, but as far as an actual case of fraud is concerned there is probably not much of an argument on your side, initially. Now if they continue to charge your membership after you've cancelled it, or they purposely evade cancelling your membership after your repeated attempts to do so, then you have a case.

I "ordered" this on May 12. I checked my account Thursday and of course was treated to quite the shock, but I figured that I must have had some terrible luck and misbalanced my checkbook or not realized something was going to come in early. I got the terrible luck part right, but I was reviewing my bank account activity again tonight trying to figure out what I did wrong, and that is how I finally saw the $49.50 charge. So I have tomorrow (May 19) to get this cancelled because of course, there is no one there to answer the phone now - according to the automated machine their business hours are M-F, 9-5 MST. They've ALREADY charged the $49.50 to my account though. It's even post-dated for May 19 even though it is just now May 18!

This may be the one thing that gives me a leg to stand on - it says in the above statement that I will be charged AFTER the seven day trial period but clearly I was charged I bet the ###s will say that tomorrow is the "eighth" day, and that there is no leeway given for the fact that Saturday and Sunday are not business days. We'll see, though.

Oh, and another other way they sucker punch you is with a 0.04 "international service fee" - what they need the extra four cents for, I have no idea, except apparently they get a big laugh out of knowing that I just got charged another $35 NSF fee for FOUR FREAKING CENTS.

The saddest part about this is that I chose this program based on a recommendation from http://www.grants-revealed.org/. This website says:

"Over the last 2 years we have reviewed 47 government grant websites. We purchased their systems and conducted extensive background checks on each company. Out of the 47 government grant sites only 4 were even worthwhile! These are companies that send you information for free, all we had to pay were shipping costs.

Our top pick is Grant Search Guide which is %100 free all you have to cover is the shipping costs ($2.95). This was our #1 pick because they issued out grants to their members on a daily basis & they included 24/7 live support to assist you in getting your grant money."

So avoid that website and all of its "recommended" resources as well!

Only now do I know that the only reliable site for grants, period, is www.grants.gov. There is also www.usa.gov, which will direct you to all pages concerning government grants, benefits, loans, sales, auctions, and other good information. (So you can skip all those pages promising you "inside" information on government auctions and sales, as well.) And this is all for FREE, I must stress. No shipping charges, no memberships, no trial periods.

That information is too little too late for me but hopefully I just helped someone coming behind me to avoid a scam artist.

• Wi
      19th of May, 2008

Too late I found this complaint site. I thought I was just spending $2.01 to become a member, or for the CD, which I haven't gotten yet. Since I found them through a reccomended link on what I thought was a helpful website for women, I thought they'd be legit. Then I saw $50.99 taken out of my checking account one week later. I have gone to the website and cancelled. Today I'm notifying my bank that I do not authorize any payments to them. Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. Nomatter what, I'm checking out everything from now on before I sign up for ANYTHING.

19th of May, 2008

Hello folks, can you say R I P O F F & S C A M !!! - www.grantresearchguide.com goes by several false names and addresses. I too got scammed for the $49.50 charge on my credit card, after paying 2.95 for a disk that arrived a month and 1/2 later. 2008 Grant Instructor is another name they use, but go look at www.reno.bbb.org for them and they list a phone number and address for a lady that has nothing to do with the company (she is very pissed and is calling the FTC & BBB to get that info off of their website). How pathetic is it when a company just uses anybodys address for their business blindly picking it out of the phone book. When you call their toll free number 1-800-235-1364 and try to dispute the charge they get very rude and ignorant and the WILL hang up on you. I am working with the credit card company to dispute my charges and I have canceled the credit card because the people at Grant Research Guide aka 2008 Grant Instructor said they will continue to charge my card this monthly fee and won't cancel this account. Don't be fooled when something is only $2.95, it may be cheap now, but it will cost you a LOT LATER.

• Ca
      19th of May, 2008

I had the same experience... read their disclaimer MANY times over, never saw the supposedly HUGE text that their representative said was "in line one when I ordered" about signing up for $49.50 per month access to their crappy web site. I paid $1.50 for a trial membership, and their site stunk. NO WHERE did it ever say enything about cancelling, the $49.50, etc. I tried to get them to take the charge off and of course they woudln't and they hung up on me. Yay. I now have to wait for the scammed money to be taken OUT of my account so Bank of America (and I am not happy with them right now either) can "dispute" it. Seems to me, maybe they could STOP them from GETTING the money by NOT giving it to them since it is still pending. But hey, that's just my stupid idea of what good customer service would be. Sigh. I doubt I'll get that money back. This company is a bunch of thieves, DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING ON THEIR SITE. SCAM to the highest power!

• Ke
      22nd of May, 2008

I also got ripped off by them. I signed up to get the CD for $2.95. I never got the Cd and when i opened by CC statement today was floored to see the chrged for that AND a $49.50 charge! How can I get charged for a not cancelling something for a trial period if I never got the product to know if I wanted it or not.
    I am working with my Cc comapnt now to get the charges taken off and to make sure they don't take ant more money. I can't believe a company can actually get away with this. I am reporting them to the BBB and the FTC.

• Ra
      24th of May, 2008

I also just found this charge on my credit card and filed a dispute, I actually filed one when the 1.50 was charged because I e-mailed them and they never replied to my questions, I have lots of friends in Vegas being a NL holdem player and visit a few times a year, Nick Ramos is the owners name from what I gather, I sure hope you refund my money Nick.

Randy.