Grand Canyon University / theft of funds

Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

I was promised a two year completion and six years later I'm still not finished. They changed their credit requirements in the middle of my semester from three credit hour classes to four credit hour classes, which really messed up my financial aid. They required me to take a class that I had previously acquired at another college that was transferable. I got down to my last two classes when they audited my classes to make sure I had all the requirements and found that they had made a mistake and now I do not qualify for any further financial assistance. They have made numerous errors both financially and academically and they will not take responsibility for their mistakes. After six years and thousands of dollars in financial aid (that I have to pay back) I can not graduate unless I pay out of pocket for their mistakes! They in essence have stolen government money given to them for my education and have not kept there end of the agreement.Now I have to start paying back my loans and I did not receive the education/degree they promised in order to have the education, carrier and salary required to be able to pay back the student loans.

St

Comments

• Gc
      25th of Apr, 2012

Hi STipper,

We're sorry to hear you are frustrated and would like to assist. Could you kindly send an email to [protected]@gcu.edu detailing your issue and someone will be in touch with you to help provide a resolution.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help resolve your issue.

• Bo
      11th of Jul, 2012

THIS SCHOOL IS A FRAUD! TODAY...JOIN ME AS WE PLAN TO FIGHT THIS IN THE NATIONAL MEDIA! OUR GOAL IS TO EXPOSE THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE AND DRAW THOUSANDS OF MISTREATED, CHEATED VETERANS, AND STUDENTS WITH US IN FILING THE LARGEST CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. OUR GOAL IS TO STRIP THIS BUSINESS OF ITS EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIALS, AND CALL ON THE V.A. TO NOT APPROVE THIS SCHOOL FOR ITS ACTIVE DUTY AND VETERANS.

Email us at [protected]@yahoo.com
    Find us on Facebook: Fight Gcu

• Pu
      10th of Mar, 2013

They did a similar thing to me. I've been in its teacher education program for the last 5 years!!! What should have taken me 2 years because I transferred has now taken me 5 years! What I was promised is NOT what I've received! GCU drags you on and on because its only concern is MONEY-MONEY-MONEY!! Did you know that the president, Brian Meuller, makes over 2 million a year? That's where our money is going, people!! GCU settled a 2010 class action due to dishonest enrollment practices. BTW: Meuller came from University of Phoenix, who also had a lawsuit concerning dishonest enrollment practices. See the connection, anyone??

Now that I'm at the end of my program getting ready to--finally--graduate, it says, "Oh, now you have to re-take a class that you took 3 years ago... at your own expense. Ooops.. Oh well, too bad!" This is legal extortion.. Oh, and why do the "advisors" not know what the heck they're doing? Because they're not really ADVISORS! They're students, like you and me, getting a huge break on their tuition! My last "advisor?" She just got her bachelor's in Journalism!!! What the heck does Journalism have to do with Post-Secondary Academic Advising????

Why is GCU getting away with this, year after year??