Grand Canyon University / poor service/lies/shady tactics

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

Grand Canyon University uses fraudulent tactics and lies to recruit tuition paying students. They will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to turn a profit. I started out with 3 counselors and a set graduation date. After 16 months of school, I had 9 different counselors, which were constantly being switched for whatever reason. Each new counselor would request my transcript forms, which were submitted 3 times and still not resolved to this very day. My graduation date has been pushed back dramatically due to their incompetent staff. After all of the extra classes added, I will own an extra $30, 000, more than what I was told I would have to pay. The instructors post the same feedback every week, simply pasting a generic response, rather than adding any insight. I usually have to send 3 emails just to get a response from a counselor, and the problems never seem to get resolved, only handed to other counselors. As a result of all of the lack of support, and lies, I have wasted over $10, 000 and 1 1/2 years of my time. Thanks Grand Canyon University! I am dropping out due to your greed. Hopefully I can find a university that is worth while.

Comments

• Gc
      3rd of Dec, 2010

Hello,

Would you please contact me directly at ritule@gcu.edu or by phone at 602-639-7571 between 9a-5p Mountain time to discuss the concerns you've addressed above.

Many Thanks!
    Robyn Itule

Social Media Strategist
    ritule@gcu.edu
    602-639-7571

• Gc
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Hi MTA28

Would you please contact me directly via email at robyn.itule@GCU.edu and I will do all I can to assist you. You'll receive an out of office message as I am away from the office for the holiday, but I will reply and put you in touch with our student resolution team.

Thanks!
    Robyn Itule

Social Media Strategist
    Robyn.itule@gcu.edu
    602-639-7571

• Pa
      29th of Mar, 2011

I found it refreshing to hear that others have had similar problems to mine. I too have had several financial counselors and academic advisers. Fall of this year (2010 - 2011) I was scheduled to begin classes. Before my start date my father-in-law passed. This was also the beginning of a new school year and I was teaching a new grade level. I pondered on waiting a few more weeks but decided to bite the bullet. Between teaching a new grade level and completing the work for my class I never had a spare moment. In the beginning I had difficulty turning papers in because I had gone from a PC to a MAC. I finally figured it out! However, two of my journal were not accepted by the professor who knew I was having computer problems~!! . I wrote a letter of appeal and the decision was made to only accept one of my journals. This caused me to flunk the class!! I was furious because I had worked so hard and spent so much time completing the work.

The following class I spoke with my academic counselor about dropping the class. I wanted to take a break after the stress of the first one to get situated and feel at peace . I was told I couldn't because the class had begun. At this time my Lyme disease was acting up (probably from stress) and there was no way I could complete the class. I dropped out on my own. I called and apparently her boss listened to the tape conversation the counselor and I had about dropping the class. Of course I was the one at fault!! ????? I now have a $2000.00 balance on my account because they returned my funding. Apparently there is some policy that if you do not pass a class the college returns your money. I did ask to drop the class and was told I couldn't!! The first class I worked so hard and flunked because of one journal they would not accept.

I am not some young kid trying to get out of something. I am a 49 year old who is taking classes for professional growth. I feel as if the college is not working with me but against me.

VERY UPSET!!