Gotprint / Wont' do any more business with Got Print

I am a graphic artist and have had great success with GotPrint on multiple occasions. The clients love their cards, their inexpensive I couldn't be happier to send my business there. However, in light of recent events I can no longer use them.

A client of mine had had her business cards printed at a local print shop. Running low on her cards, with a large event looming, she asked my suggestion for a printer and I told her about GotPrint. I gave her the contact info for some of my clients in related fields who gave the company rave reviews. So, using the same file I had given her for the other print shop, (A CMYK .TIF file) she submitted it to GotPrint, and when her digital proof came in, she approved it, eagerly waiting her 5, 000 new business cards.

When they came in her brown toned cards were GREEN, not just tinted green, but everything was green. She emailed GotPrint who told her that she approved the design, and they just print what she gave them, so they're sorry she's unhappy but she can get a discount on her next order. She emailed them back a scanned copy of the old cards and the GotPrint cards to show the difference, and was told to contact customer service.

She contacted GotPrint herself at first, and was treated very rudely by the customer service person she got. When she said she was the president of "company X", the guy on the other end said "Good for you", when she asked "excuse me?" he said "That's awesome." She asked for a supervisor and was told that they were all at a training meeting and wouldn't be back for 3 hours. She took his name down and called me.

I was horrified that my client was treated like that and called them back immediately. I talked to a very helpful customer service person who informed me that quality control was on lunch and she would contact me in about half an hour when she got back. An hour later when I still hadn't heard anything I called again, getting a different customer service rep who informed me QC was on another call, and would contact me shortly.

I received a call about half an hour later, and explained the situation. I emphasized that I had had other cards printed successfully, and that the exact same file had been printed elsewhere and came out perfectly. She said that I must have sent an RGB file. I said, no, I hadn't, and as stated before this exact file had been printed elsewhere and came out fine. She said that different printers print things different ways so even though it prints fine elsewhere it doesn't mean it's going to come out the same there. She said that they do gang printing and that's why they're green.

I told her that all that meant was that there was going to be a lot of people with green cards, and she said "Not if they sent their files correctly. You can update your files and we can print them at a discount." I asked her if this meant that my client had to eat the cost on these cards that she can't use, and then pay MORE money for cards that don't have a predictable outcome. I was told "Well we will send you a proof for you to approve" I answered back "But those are in RGB!"

She then tells me that it must be the fault of the file that I sent and comes back to tell me CMYK percentages are all wrong, and that's why they didn't print correctly. She then rattles off my color percentages, saying that was the reason for my green cards, and I again informed her that there was NOTHING wrong with the file, that it was a mistake on their end. She told me to just change the colors of the file, which obviously isn't an option. I was on the phone with that representative for 20 minutes and never got anywhere.

I ended up informing her that since there is no way to get predictable results there is no way that I can use their products for my clients or myself, as I can't afford a crapshoot on if my cards will turn out well or not. I canceled some pending orders that I had, and washed my hands of GotPrint.

I think it's sad that the situation was handled so poorly, as the cards I have gotten in the past came out gorgeous, I just can't take the risk of wasting $100 - $500 on if my products will turn out well.

Edited to add that this was sent to my client with no forwarding message.

--------

There is a problem in order # GP_498638

Date: 12/05/2007 16:26

Status: ELEVATED

Message:

spoke with kristi X for order number 498638 as soon as i got the call

she was adamant about talking to a supervisor, no supervisors were available

at this time everyone was at a meeting i asked her if i could help her but

she still said no in a rude tone, i kept telling her there isn't any

management i can send her to at this time and if i could be of any

assistance she said no i called George to get some info on a email he had

sent her, in order to get to a final conclusion on this order she had to

respond to the order but she said she doesn't have time nor is she going to

bother with this automated stuff and still wants to speak to a manager and

proceeded to tell me about how shes a company CEO i told her that is great

she got mad thinking i was making fun of her so she changed her tone to an

insulting volume and told me i needed to be getting trained on my CS

thinking i meant it in a sarcastic way than i told her its great she owns a

company i would like to do that!

to one day and she replied at the rate your going your not going to get

anywhere at this point i told her shes out of line and if she wanted to

speak like this with anyone els they would hang up on her and she got upset

and took down my name and i provided her with my last name so she couldn't

have mistaken me for anyone els

VG-12-05-07

-------------

My problem with this is aside from the fact that I trust my client's account explicitly, which severely differs from this one, why would this CS person inform her that all Quality control personnel were in a meeting when in actuality they were not? Why can't a request to speak to a supervisor be handled in a civilized manner?

Va

Comments

• St
      28th of Nov, 2008

i haven't tried gotprint yet, but i am about to. my feeling about this complaint revolves around several facts:

1) the designer did not submit the file herself, so she cannot be sure it was submitted correctly

this may be a non-issue, but if i'm not sure why the designer didn't just handle the transaction herself to ensure it went smoothly. getting nondesigners involved in this type of stuff often leads to misunderstandings.

2) the designer does not really know what happened between the client and gotprint

to me, the customer service rep's version rings more true. anyone who would say something like "i'm the president of company x" is the same kind of jerk as the celebrity who says to the cop "do you know who i am?" tells me something about that person. i should treat you better / differently because of your "status"?

3) colors do differ between printers, unless you are using spot pms colors, which, however, will still differ depending on the paper

12th of May, 2009

I am also a designer doing thousands in freelance and printing.

PROBLEM: I ordered envelopes on the the 1st of April with the assumption that the envelopes would get to me in a timely manner. GotPrint took the full 15 days to print the envelopes. Upon reception, I noticed that they came to me skewed (crooked) between 3-5 degrees. It took 22 days total for the envelopes to get to me and then they were crooked. WOW, right! I went through the full process of getting the reprint which took me all the way to the 27h of April. As of May 12th, the status is still "IN PRINT" after they apologized and said they would put in PRIORITY. This print job is going to take me a minimum of 45 days to be printed.

WTF, right???!!!

29th of Sep, 2010

The printed business cards for me WAY OFF to the side, I sent them back samples to see there F-up. They respond telling me it's within the margin of shifting. The cards are useless - literally the text is butting up on the right side and there is a huge gap on the left.

The last job they did before that was a postcard that "shifted" so much there was actually a white line on one edge of the full bleed card.

Total CRAP, total WASTE OF MY TIME.

all they offer is a "discount code" instead of actually doing a decent print shop.

Id rather pay more somewhere else than have to throw cards in the trash.

VERY DISAPPOINTED.

-mari

* rgding the comment: "anyway, this does not do anything to deter me from trying out gotprint. after all, they are so cheap that if they suck, it's really not a big deal -- lesson learned." thats exactly what I did, so Im not crying a river, but it costs you TIME & ENERGY, and if you are in the population that has crap print job its very frustrating.

Hi Jacalyn Howard,

I apologize for any frustration caused by any customer service rep or the quality of the final product. I assure you that we've taken a note of this situation, and always continue to work on improving our service for our customers. If you contact me, we can work this matter out. You can message me here or email me at blog@gotprint.net. Thank you.

Hi jomi,

I'm very sorry to hear that your order took longer than expected to print. If you send me your order number, I can look into it and see what we can do for you in order to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Hi mariii555,

I apologize for the inconvenience it caused you to receive a product that was shifted. If you supply me with an order number, I will be glad to look into this for you and see what we can do as compensation. Thank you.

• De
      26th of Jan, 2011

Hi Jacalyn,
    I've tried many online printers. Vistaprint and GotPrint are two of the worst of worst. They will waste your time and money. It's not only about their customer service, it's all about their business ethics. They do not respect you and anyone else. They don't care if you lose a customer.

26th of Jan, 2011

Hi @denizcaroll,
    I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you came across any problems, I'd like to resolve them for you. Your concern is important to us, and we take it into account to make any necessary improvements. If you would like for me to follow up, you may contact me here or email me at blog@gotprint.net. Thank you.

• Su
      22nd of Feb, 2011

As a fellow Graphic Designer can you recommend a better online printer, since Vistaprint and GotPRint seem to have a bad rap.