Gotbody.com & Fitfactory.com / Deceptive Credit Card Practice

1 FL, United States Review updated:

Folks,

Wonder how an unauthorized charge from FitFactory posted to your credit card account? A little snooping led to our finding that GotBody.com (fitness supplements, etc.) has a small pre-checked box for a "Free FitFactory Trial Product" that, if not "unchecked", provides FitFactory with both your credit card number and AUTHORIZATION to bill your credit card. A deceptive practice, to say the least.

My advice is to stay away from GotBody.com and FitFactory.com, as they obviously have little regard for the consumer.

If anyone reading this is an associate of GotBody, you will be pleased to know we were very satisfied with their customer service, until this borderline fraud caught us by surprise. As a final note, Andrew (who is THE BOSS) made the terrible business decision regarding the "checked box". So long, GotBody, hello GNC.

Comments

• Ri
      13th of Jan, 2009

They have forfeit all of my future business as well as a result of this.

• Sc
      19th of May, 2009

Same thing happened to me, I had done business with them before but this time they totally screwed me. I will never do business with them again. Pass the word, buyer beware!

2nd of Jul, 2009

Same thing happened to me too. Taking months to straighten out. I had been very satisfied before, now consider gotbody.com a rip off site.

From my point of view, no receipt, no sale. The trial subscription was not on my receipt so they gave my credit card number to an unauthorized party.

and then there is fitfactory.com which is now lifestyleandfitness.com who because of the name change and financial institution changes are having trouble processing the promised refunds.

I will have to cancel my credit card as a result of this.

• Pt
      6th of Jul, 2009

OMG! This happened to me quite some time ago and I never could get to the bottom of WHO allowed this charge. After many phone calls and a Lawsuit "threat" they finally put the Big Guy on the phone and all my money was credited back to me. I am sitting here just about to place an order. Now I won't!! I had been a customer for over 4-years!!! Their loss.

• Go
      27th of Jul, 2009

Same thing too! I'm a 3-time purchaser from gotbody but not again.
    To PTOBY did gotbody refund you? Or was it one of the other "fitness" outfits?
    FYI look out for fitnesshub + lifstylefit + fitfactory - all are vthe same scam artists, and very clever and devious!
    Seemingly friendly and helpful but essentially crooks!

• Be
      11th of Aug, 2009

I also agree. I found June and July charges on my credit card for $29.95 each and after I called the 800 number for Fit Factory and used the fraud word they took off the July said they would call me monday about the June. I didn't get a call back so I called another 800 number I found and again used the fraud word again they agreed to take off June. They would not tell me how they go my charge number but did say it was from a Feb purchase. That gave me enough information to look and sure enough the small already checked box for fit factory was on my print out from gotbody. If you go to Fit Factory complaints people are saying to file you complaint with ic3.gov which is an internet crime complaint center and also www.ftc.gov/onlineshopping. Yes Gotbody has lost a customer but more so has lost my referrals.

• Ex
      19th of Aug, 2009

We were charged $29.95 by fitnesshub. We immediately alerted our credit card company to the scam, they will not pay fitnesshub. I called Gotbody.com to see if they had anything to do with fitnesshub. They said yes, they said it was very easy to get your money refunded and I shouldn't have called the credit card company. I will never order from them again. ###!

• Do
      19th of Aug, 2009

Same song here, just a different verse. Saw a good price and ordered some granola bars, which came promptly. Then, a few weeks later, I see a credit card charge from "Jrb-www.Dietcntrl.Com 800-881442". The phone number was missing the last digit. Went to the website, not knowing where the charge had come from. Called the customer service number... Eventually I brought up the name of GotBody, and the girl on the phone confirmed. She offered to stop the future monthly charges of $29.95. I continue to express that I wasn't happy. Eventually she agreed to refund the original charge. I will be watching VERY closely to confirm that this happens.

I consider myself a fairly cautious online shopper. I read pretty carefully. I did NOT see anything authorizing a monthly membership to a diet site.

I'm looking for other places to complain, and see a few above. These guys are crooked in every which way. The girl on the phone was reading a script. I'm guessing this is the only type of call she gets all day.

• Me
      24th of Aug, 2009

I appreciate everyone's comments. I too, placed an order and was 'enrolled' into FitFactory. I read everyone's messages and called immediately to cancel. The operator tried several times to extend my free trial and talk me out of canceling, until I firmly stated to PLEASE LISTEN TO ME, I DON'T WANT THIS MEMBERSHIP AND CANCEL THIS NOW. She then relented and did so...at least I hope so, I do have a confirmation of cancellation number she gave me. This is very upsetting to have a company in 'cahoots' with another to trap people into a program they do not want and didn't even realize they signed up for. Unfortunately, this isn't an isolated practice. Other companies do the same thing, so I will be adamant about reading the fine print, and unchecked boxes on every site I order from!

26th of Aug, 2009

Finally, 6 months and three monthly charges later, I got all my credits. I am now concerned however that they gave my card number to someone else. I have had two other charges from completely unheard of companies, all of which have serious complaints floating around on the internet. My credit card provider was reluctant to cancel and reissue my card but I put my foot down so no further charges can be posted to the credit card number I trusted to Gotbody.com.

Giving a customer's credit card info to some other company is NOT an ethical and in this case may be an illegal business practice. I am most sincerely patting myself on the back for never using a debit card on the Internet. My credit card company is fighting these battles for me, for the most part.

• Sc
      30th of Aug, 2009

I believe companies like this should be banned from doing business on the internet. While they are placing a check box or fine print for buyers to allow/disallow third parties to collect personal and credit card information, it is 100% completely unethical. This type of business practice should not be legal. In short, it is a SCAM. SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! And I sure do hope that GotBody.com getsbusted.com and goesoutofbusiness.com. I will NEVER purchase another product from them alone. I would rather pay higher prices and do business with a company that has a reputation to uphold.

• Ba
      11th of Sep, 2009

After making an online purchase from GotBody.com, my credit card received a charge of $29.95 from FitnessHub. This is a scam allowed by GotBody.com, do not purchase from that website. (Fitness Hub also known as Fitness Factory, Fit-Fac, Fit Factory, similar dba).

I have made many previous purchases from GotBody.com with no problems, then they claim that on my last purchase I agreed to a 14 day free trial membership to Fitnesshub, and if not cancelled they begin charging my card $29.95 per month. The email confirmation from Gotbody.com does not list a membership to a different company. Going through the Gotbody.com purchase system, there is never an agreement presented to the customer, and their customer service people cannot produce the agreement. I called the fitnesshub 800-881-9424 number and a processing agent in the Philippines immediately agreed to refund my card, leaving the charge on my account for no more than 30 days. Her manager Mona Alera in the US gave me the Fit Factory address of 305 W Broadway #114, New York, NY 10013, and said they are not responsible for the interest charges resulting from their charge.

I called my credit card company, they said this charge will have a dispute filed against it and I will not be liable for the interest charges, and the Visa representative said they do get many disputes against Fitness Hub and Fitness Factory.

Do not purchase from GotBody.com, they are one of the companies giving the credit card information to Fitness Hub and Fitness Factory.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Our company represents some of the Fit Factory programs which may show on a billing statement as Fitness Hub. Fit Factory is a companion program that comes with various Dietary products and I apologize for any misunderstanding that might have occurred when you purchased your dietary supplement(s) online. Fit Factory offers our customers live chat support with licensed Fitness Trainers and Dietitians, flash galleries for yoga and workouts, links to recipes and can also assist with menu planning. This program also offers a variety of diets for special needs that can be customized to fit your nutrition and/or weight loss goals.

All pertinent information is provided before entering any method of payment information for your supplement - this provides you access to all the terms and disclosures, as well as Customer service numbers for your product and the companion program(s) that accompany it, for greatest support and success with your product.

Customer service for Fit Factory can be reached at 1-877-407-1022 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - and they will happy to assist you in trying to locate an account and addressing your concerns.

If you are another customer that is reading this and you have already tried customer service, but feel that we have failed you in some way or you feel you weren't treated fairly please call me directly at 435-773-1795, or email me at customerservice@cshelp.org, I will be happy to address your concerns ASAP.

Online Customer Support
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

DON'T BUY FROM GOTBODY.COM

I entered this complaint the morning of Sept. 10, 2009. The folks at GotBody and FitnessHub are keenly aware of their deceptive business practices, and they posted their comment to my complaint within two hours after I entered it at ComplaintsBoard.com.

Here is email correspondence from GotBody.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dear Brittney (GotBody.com Customer Service),

There may be an already checked opt-out formatted signup on the last page, but this is after providing my credit card information for the agreed upon transaction. The signup is not part of the original transaction and you are not authorized to bill my card. I expect compensation for the interest accruing from my credit card company due to your unauthorized charge.

Your email states that GotBody.com is working on discontinuing your relationship with FitnessHub; however, complaints listed on ComplaintsBoard.com show GotBody has been aware of the problems since January, 2009, and possibly earlier. As of September 10, 2009, GotBody.com and FitnessHub are stilll in partnership and it does not appear that you are trying to end your deceitful practices.

K

--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Service wrote:

From: Service
    Subject: RE: Contact Us Enquiry
    To: k
    Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 12:27 PM

Hello K,

I completely understand your concern. The corporation that owns GotBody.com
    has decided to implement the Fit Club program on our website in order to
    remain competitive. There is a program sign-up on the last page of checkout,
    and it is an opt-out formatted sign-up. I apologize for any inconvenience
    you may have experienced from missing it. I have no problem cancelling your
    trial membership if it has not already been cancelled.

If you decide to order from us in the future, the option to sign up for this
    program will not show up as long as you sign in with the same email address.
    Our system is set up so that once you accept the offer you do not see it
    again. Additionally, our management team is working on discontinuing this
    affiliate program from our website. We do appreciate your business, and I
    apologize for the hassle. Please let me know if there is anything else I can
    help you with. Thank you. Have a wonderful day.

Yours in Health,
    Brittney (GotBody.com Customer Service)

-----Original Message-----
    From: k
    Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:30 AM
    To: service@gotbody.com
    Subject: Contact Us Enquiry

Mail From K

Last Name

I am a frequent customer of GotBody.com and recently received a bogus credit
    card charge from Fitness Hub (or Fitness Factory, Fit-Fac, Fit Factory, similar dba) after ordering from your
    site. There is no agreement to pay Fitness Hub or Fitness Factory during
    your order checkout procedure, and it is obvious your company intentionally
    submitted this unauthorized charge to my card. I will no longer purchase
    from GotBody.com.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Yo
      15th of Oct, 2009

I had the same thing happened to me. It seems like gotbody.com has an agreement with FitFactory. I think this is a fraud. I would stay away from ordering from gotbody.com. I was about to place my second order with gotbody.com. They have lost my business.

• On
      20th of Oct, 2009

Our company represents some of the Fit Factory programs which is a companion program that comes with various online health products or dietary supplements and I apologize for any misunderstanding that might have occurred when you purchased your product online.

All pertinent information about Fit Factory was provided when payment information was entered for your product and before final submission of your order - this provided you access to all the terms and disclosures, as well as Customer service numbers, for greatest support and success with your product.

Here is the disclosure that is directly on the sales page before final submission of your order:
    "As special bonus gifts, we're offering you free 14-day Trial Membership to Diets Central and a free 21-day Trial Membership to SmashCosts. By checking the acceptance box, you will be enrolled in the Fit Factory and CostSmashers programs. These are free trials, with no obligation to continue. You can cancel at any time during your 14-day or 21-day trials by calling 1-866-278-5361M-F, 24 hours a day and you will be charged nothing. If you like your memberships simply do nothing and you'll automatically be charged only $29.95 a month for Fit Factory and $2.97 a month for CostSmashers memberships. Remember, you will not be charged for the free trials, and you can cancel at any time."
    The customer is also given the opportunity to opt-out of the Fit Factory trial membership before submitting their order.

Customer service for Fit Factory can be reached at 1-866-278-5361 or 1-877-407-1022, 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week - and they will be happy to assist you in trying to locate an account and addressing your concerns.

Online Customer Support

• Ko
      18th of Nov, 2009

I was also dubbed by merely checking the "terms and conditions" box, and was automatically signed up for another product at $29.95 a month. This is absolutely ridiculous and I'm very surprised it is not illegal. Even the recent post by their company (see above) takes no responsibility for this issue, nor is it fixing the problem. That is even more ridiculous!! Greedy ###. I will never order from them again!

• Vt
      27th of Nov, 2009

I found a charge for $29.95 on my account today that matched an identical charge from last month I hadn't figured out. My charge showed up from "MyTrainer" and also traces back to "GotBody.com".

Infuriated, I spent the entire morning trying to connect with MyTrainer, but was put on perpetual hold. I finally left a message with GotBody.com that was returned within 15 minutes. The guy on the phone indicated that he would be canceling the monthly debit and crediting my account for the two charges.

I'll be watching my statements closely to determine when/if this happens.

But be mindful that GotBody.com now seems to be affiliated with an identical scam involving "MyTrainer".

• Ca
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Well it looks like I should have done a little more research before buying from GotBody.com. They now sign you up for two trials, one 14 day with dietcentral.com and the other one I caught before it went through. I called the 800# that showed on my account and got a hold of someone with dietcentral, who assured me that I had signed up for these. While I was on the phone I went through the entire order process with gotbody.com again just to see where exactly I signed up for these extra services, and nothing came up. Once I explained this to the gentleman on the phone, he told me to check my email, which I did and I had nothing from either company. He then cancelled the extra memberships and credited me the fees. THIS is a HUGE scam. What a joke of a company. I will be posting bad press for them everywhere I can. DO NOT BUY from GOTBODY.com

• Hl
      10th of May, 2010

Had the same problem. Have been using their website for years and all of a sudden there is a $29.95 deduction "stolen" from my checking account!!! I was irrate and still am. How do you report these people??!!

• Cr
      27th of Jul, 2010

I JUST GOT A CHARGE LAST MONDAY FROM MY-WELNESS.HUB... THIS MUST BE THE NEW COMPANY NAME... THE CHARGE WAS FOR 29.95.. I REPORTED THE EMAIL AS SCAM I ALSO TOLD MY BANK THAT IT WAS A FRUAD CHARGE..
    I ALSO SPOKE WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISION... HE IS GETTING BACK TO ME... THIS IS NOT FAIR AT ALL... I LIVE ABOUT A HOUR AND A HALF FROM SHOPPING AND I LOVE BUYING STUFF ONLINE IT SAVES ME TIME AND MONEY FOR THE TRAVEL AND FUEL.. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ONLINE AGAIN...

READING ALL THE POST ABOVE I AM NOT SURE IF I WILL GET MY 29.95 BACK BUT I DO KNOW ONE THING I WILL SPREAD THE WORD... I AM ALSO WRITING A LETTER TO THE LAS VEGAS REVIEW JOURNAL AND NOTIFY ALL NEWS CHANNELS.. THE WORD NEEDS TO GET OUT.. THIS PEOPLE ARE MAGETS...

12th of Aug, 2010

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I JUST MADE A PURCHASE ABOUT A WEEK AGO FROM GOTBODY AND HAVENT BEEN CHARGED WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR THE PRODUCT I BOUGHT. WHAT DO I DO TO CANCEL IT BEFORE I GET CHARGED?! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!