GotBears.com / Fraud and scam

On 15 October 2008, I used Google to find an online seller of a small stuffed frog that my son has grown attached to. The frogs are called My Special Blankie, Dottie Dots Frog by Gund.

The website GotBears.com came up as a seller of the item. They listed it as item number BG-[protected] selling for $16. I ordered two and was also charged $11.50 in shipping. I received a confirmation of my sale on October 16, 2008. That was the last contact the seller made with me.

I waited for any kind of continued response. Keeping in mind that I live overseas on a Military Base, I gave the seller ample time and the benefit of the doubt. When, after one month I had still not received the items or even shipping confirmation, I tried to contact the seller through e-mail.

The email was immediately returned to me as undeliverable. When I checked the address on the website to make sure I had it right, it was correct. I also at this time tried to call the number the website listed for customer service. I received a recording that the number is disconnected.

The website, however is still up and running and taking orders.

I am in the process of working with law enforcement to recoup my loss. Meanwhile, I am trying to get the word out that this site is fraudulent to prevent other consumers from losing their money. It is very difficult to find Dottie Dots Frogs and it seems this scammer knows that.

Sa

Comments

• Fe
      8th of Feb, 2009

I wish I had seen this before I placed my order. Just the other night I placed an order with GotBears.com for a fabriche Dorothy figurine to complete my collection. Immediately after placing the order, I got a confirmation email stating the details of my order along with a telephone number and email address to get ahold of this person with any questions. Yesterday, I tried to call the number and the number was "not in service". So I sent an email only to have it returned "DELIVERY FAILURE". What the crap!!?

• Et
      2nd of Apr, 2009

Just made the same mistake. Didn't check the vendor before I ordered and found out my error when I tried to call the number in the email they sent me confirming the order. No number and email to them bounced. My credit card says they'll block the charge as soon as it arrives on my bill but who will stop these thieves from using my credit card in the future? I've learned my lesson for sure!

• Me
      27th of May, 2009

Looks like I'm the fourth person who has written a complaint about this scam! Tried to call GOT BEARS at 405-751-6345 and the phone number is not in service. I then attempted an email at gotbears@coxinet.net and delivery was aborted. My credit card account has not yet rcv'd request for payment from GOT BEARS (Okalahoma City, OK), as I just sent the order in two hours ago. My credit card company informed me I would have to keep calling and checking in until they have it posted and then they will "attempt" to put a stop payment on it. I placed a $75 order. Am also concerned this outfit can somehow use my credit card for additional purchases.

Very much appreciate the fact that others took the time to alert new buyers concerning this scam. Thank you.

In retrospect, I thought it was unusual that there wasn't any contact information on the website order pages themselves. There's always all sorts of information to go to other sites, etc. And these S.O.B.s even took the time to add music to listen to while they're stealing you blind.

WHY IS THIS WEBSITE STILL RUNNING? Who can we contact to get this website shut down and people who are running this scam arrested?

25th of Jun, 2009

Yeah, I am in the process of reporting this to my bank as well. I thought I did my research but not enough. I placed my order May 11, 2009, and also received confirming e-mail. I also got the same "e-mail no good" query. And the number is no good ofcourse. Seems the site is down though. I attempted to access it to get other contact information and finally the LINK IS BROKEN, so this should make my case with the bank.

-Completely dissapointed and disgusted, Mom who tried to get replacement security toy.

2nd of Sep, 2009

Me too!
    I paid over $50 in November 2008. After initial confirmation email from them, no goods arrived. As you say, the phone number does not work and all emails fail. I'm angry but also disappointed, as I thought I'd finally found a replacement for my son's favourite toy.