Gordon Jeweler's / Bad service

I saw a ring on sale at Gordon Jeweler's at NorthPoint Mall in Alpharetta, Ga. The ring was $299 on sale for $179. The clerk told me I could take it home today if I filled out a credit 90 day same as cash form. I said no, I don't have or want credit cards. This is a Christmas gift for me so could I put it on lay-away. Yes, she said and began filling out the computer info. She had great difficulty and kept apologizing for not knowing how to enter it and what to do.

The manager assisted her and I was patient even though it took over 20 minutes. I put the ring and a $39.00 bracelet that was on sale on lay away. I also agreed to the $19.99 warranty for 2 years on the ring. It came to $287.06. I paid $87.06.Balance $200.00. I got my receipt and noticed a $10.00 lay away fee, which I wasn't told about, asked the clerk what was the fee and after she explained I said ok and left the store. This happened the Tues. before Thanksgiving. On Friday the clerk called my home and my daughter called me at work and said I needed to call Gordon's store. I spoke with the clerk and she stated she made a terrible mistake and the ring was an item that she should not have put on lay-away. It was a three day only sale.

I asked what I needed to do. We agreed that on Sat. I would come in and pay it off. On Sat. the manager and the clerk told me that even though they were telling me I couldn't have the lay away and even though it was their mistake, I could not get my $10 lay away fee back. I asked why and they said they didn't know how to put it in the computer for a refund. I suggested they call someone who may know and they called the district manager. She told them that they could not sell me the ring because the sale was over and the store would have a penalty.

I would have to pay $249 for the ring not $179. She told them to refund all of my money even the $10 lay away fee. $87.06. I said that wasn't right and I should be able to just pay off the $200 and get the $10. refunded. The store manager said the district manager said no on the phone. I told him then I will leave the ring on lay away. I called Gordon's national customer service # and they were no help. Told me that what ever the district manager says is pretty much what goes. She would e-mail the complaint to the same district manager.

My real problem is that I need to make a payment before Dec.18th or they can cancel the lay away. I know they will tell me I can't make the payment and they will not take my money even though it is printed on my receipt when I need to make a payment and what to pay for six months! I have worked in customer service for over 20 years and have never heard of a situation like this. I would love for Clark to go with me to make that payment or to try to pay off the ring.

I called the store manager this week and asked if there was a change with this lay away. He stated the district manager had not changed her mind and I said that I will be contacting the mall manager and letting them know of the situation and Clark Howard! Please help me with this. It isn't about the ring anymore it's about doing the right thing by the customer when we make a mistake.

Oh, one more thing as I have looked at my receipt, the clerk charged me the warranty fee of $19.99 twice.

Wa

Comments

3rd of Apr, 2009

Hello to you i'm James The Jeweler and i also have my own educational jewelry discussion group here under "JEWELRY & WATCHES" i read your complaint and i first want to say to you that i'm a REAL JEWELER IN ATLANTA and that your situation is not unique, but by the same token this a true BREACH OF CONTRACT ON BEHALF OF THE JEWELRY STORE. You should've never walked out of that jewelry store with a receipt if you weren't able to put the jewelry you wanted to buy on LAY-AWAY.

Let me say this to you as well as everyone else here who's reading my response to you NEVER BUY ANY "WARRANTIES" on jewelry they're NOT VALID AND IN MANY CASES THEY'LL NEVER BE HONORED BY THE JEWELRY STORE, JEWELRY STORE "WARRANTIES" ARE ANOTHER WAY FOR THE JEWELRY STORE TO GET ADDITIONAL MONEY FROM YOU. I don't offer JEWELRY WARRANTIES because i don't sell LOW QUALITY JEWELRY in the first place.

I've listed an organization i feel could greatly help you in this matter and they are THE JEWELER'S VIGILANCE COMMITTEE and their website address & phone number is below. I'd like for you to contact them to file a complaint against this jewelry store immediately, because they are an organization who goes after jewelry stores who are not in compliance with their ethics and policies of being a jeweler to the public. The JEWELER'S VIGILANCE COMMITTEE has operating hours of 9am - 5pm Mon - Fri.

Visit http://www.jvclegal.org/Consumers/index.php?categoryid=20

Their phone number is
    Telephone: (212) 997-2002
    Fax: (212) 997-9148

Should you have any jewelry questions or you need my need jewelry services feel free to contact me here, and my other contact info is below.

Email: jamesthejeweler@yahoo.com

Phone: 404-447-5459

My Online Jewelry Blog: http://jamesisajeweler.blogspot.com

3rd of Apr, 2009

Here's another resource i feel you can use to file a complaint against the store who BREACHED THEIR CONTRACT WITH YOU.

You can contact THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS below.

Contact Us

Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs
    2 Martin Luther King Jr., Drive SE, Suite 356
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334-4600

Phone:

404-651-8600 or

800-869-1123 (toll-free in Georgia, outside of the metro Atlanta calling area)

Fax:

404-651-9018

The office is open 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

Our telephone counselors are available to provide assistance by phone 8:30 AM through 5:45 PM, Monday through Friday.

• Ta
      14th of Apr, 2009

I agree with yoiu completely. Their customer service is a joke, they have no idea how to solve problems as they arrise. I was at one of their locatins today and I had a horrible experience. ( I'm not going to get into my story, it would take to long). The sad thing is the customer service people were on the phone again and again trying to figure out what they could do for me. They also lie through their teeth about everything. I feel they really took me for a ride.