Goodwillinjured

A Review updated:

I was injured at a Goodwill auction. While at the auction, a portable basketball goal, mounted to a steel post, fell on my head, injuring my neck. I have permanent damage to my neck. I had surgery back in January of 2009. They put in steel plates and donor bone. Surgery was around 200, 000.00. My insurance paid my hospital bill but think Goodwill should pay as well. Goodwill said they only have a $15, 000.00 policy. I'm crippled for life. I'm also still under drs care. I have gone to several lawyers, none will take my case. I have since found out, that a lot of the lawyers sit on Goodwill's board of directors. I have gone to my local tv station, who helps people with problems with companies, they would not help either. If anyone could help me, please do. I don't know what to do anymore.

Aug 25, 2009

Just an update. Now they want to play mind games with me. I talked to someone at Goodwill Management on Friday, August 21, 2009. They told me they would see what they could do for me and for me to call back on Monday, August 24th. I called back several times yesterday, and guess what?? He would not answer my calls or return them. This isn't the first time he's done this, so I shouldn't have been surprised. I have called him several times today, August 25th and guess what again??? He still refuses to answer my calls or return them. Now, why would someone say call back on a certain day and time then not answer the call??? Goodwill Management, thats who. They claim to do so much for the needy. Yet I have never heard their name mentioned anytime a disaster has happened. They get free help in their stores from people who are doing community services. I'm injured for life and they think it's a joke. They don't have to wake up every morning in pain or go to sleep every night in pain having to wear a neck brace. But why should they care about my pain, medical bills and long time suffering from the injury.
    So if you have donations, take them somewhere else. Take them where they really do care about people. Instead of Goodwill who are only looking out for their company not the people they claim to help or the ones who get seriously injured on their property. They think it's all a big joke...

Aug 25, 2009

I should add this is the Goodwill Industry on Midlothian Turnpike in Richmond, Va.

• M
      Aug 26, 2009

i just got done reading about the guy who was hurt at goodwill and i didnt think they were that kinda store. i thought they was out to help not hurt folks. i shope there all the time but am thinking twice about not shoping there anymore. i sure wouldnt want to shope at a store if they dont wanna pay if u get hurt at there stores. i have been to different stores where things were lying out where somebody could get hurt. they should be responsable like any other store, if u get hurt on there property they should pay ur medical and pain n suffering.. i really hope they come around and start helping you. i will be telling my friends not to shope or denote to goodwill.

• M
      Sep 06, 2009

I am really angry that Goodwill industries cannot help this person that got hurt in one of their stores. This injury has injured them for life and they do not have the decency to help. The sad thing about this situation is that Goodwill is supposed to help people and they cannot even help a person who was using their store to help others. A comment was made about how other organizations you will hear of all their good works but you really never hear anything about what Goodwill has done for others. What are they doing with the money that is being obtained from people who are donating items? Everytime I go into Goodwill their merchandise seems to be the same price as a new item. In my opinion this company is running a scam. I will never shop there again and I will recommend to others, my family, and friends to not patronize or donate to their stores.

Sep 16, 2009

UPDATE:

First, I would like to think the people who have left comments. Keep the comments coming.

Now, to update everyone... Goodwill, or shall I say Goodwill Management is threatening that if I don't stop calling, they will get me for harassment. Now, remember, it was about a month ago that I was asked to call back. This person, who has threatened me, is the one who said, give him a few days to discuss this with another manager. When I called back, he had someone answering his phone. I was told he was busy or out of the office. When I could, I would leave a message on his voicemail asking him to return my call. He never did... I wasn't calling him all day long. I would call him a few times a week. I did this because I was ASKED to call him back. I believe in what I'm doing is right. I was sitting on a couch, minding my own business when this basketball goal fell on my head. I was seriously injured. They don't just do surgery on you to put a steal plate in your neck if you're not hurt. I have taken pictures at Goodwill Auction of how things are just carelessly placed. Its just a matter of time before someone else is injured, as I was. Not only are there adults at the auction, there are also children running around. Can you imagine if something was to fall on a child?

I was told by a lot of the people who attend the auction not give up. They were there when this happened and know how badly I was injured. I have several witnesses who saw the basketball goal fall on my head. I will not give up. I believe Goodwill Auction is in the wrong and should pay for my medical expenses, along with my pain and suffering.

Whether you believe I'm right or wrong, you can email me at [protected]@msn.com

Nov 02, 2009

UPDATE: I finally got in contact with someone at Goodwill. I asked him for the President of Goodwill's name. He refused to give it to me. I then asked him he had notified the President of Goodwill, he never did answer. He is still making rude comments to me. I even told him to take me to court so I could get this out in the public. I'm still under doctors care. Please do not donate to Goodwill.

• R
      Nov 02, 2009

Have you tried to file with the local police and prosecuting attorney...just a thought. Maybe negligence? I would also search online for attorney from somewhere else, one of them must want money bad enough to take the case...they all do.

• H
      Nov 23, 2009

Here is a list of the board of directors... of Richmond Goodwill -

• L
      Jan 27, 2010

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Try contacting your local t.v. news station to see if they will do an investigation of Goodwill. There is something awfully wrong with an organization that does not have anyone in charge. I have tried to find out who owns Goodwill, who sets the high prices, etc... All I can find out is: Goodwill is locally owned by business owners and community members(huh?), the money goes toward training and employment of blind/visually impaired, mentally impaired, and people with disabilities. That's about all the information I can find. Now for some of my own observations: Goodwill makes tons of money--period. They may very well help a few people--but---just how many people with vision, mental, etc. disabilities live in any given area where Goodwill is? Not THAT many. Also, does anyone actually know ANYONE personally that Goodwill has helped? Goodwill does not "give" anything to anyone. They will sell you anything but never give you anything. All the aisles of new stuff that they have in the stores that they think we're foolish enough to pay their prices for--they actually buy the crap thinking it will bring in more customers(this was told to me by a Goodwill employee). Sounds to me like Goodwill needs to be thoroughly investigated and exposed. Something is very fishy with Goodwill. I almost think the government is involved with them because of all the secrecy and greed. Oh well, we shall see--maybe.