Goodwill / badwill

1 Meridian, ID, United States Review updated:

I have donated boxes upon boxes of nice stuff when we moved. Most boxes were carefully labeled. One was dropped off at the donation center and I didn't realize until about a week later when unpacking, that one of them was a box full of papers from my desk. We're talking file folders and accordion folders, full of birth certificates for my kids, and social security cards.

What did they do with them? Throw them out that night in the compactor. Did they hold it waiting for a call, or try to call the person who's personal information is splattered all in there??? No. Not once.

Never, ever again will I donate. Ever.

Va

Comments

To
  16th of Nov, 2008

I purchased a stik vacuum yesterday. I was assured by 2 staff that it worked. One of them was from the back of the store where the items are tested. I trusted his opinion. I paid CASH $9.99 plus tax. I tried it as soon as I got home. The carpet brush did not work. Absolutely no suction. Not just poor suction but NO SUCTION WHATSOEVER. I took it back the next morning. and lo and behold they give me a credit slip, NO CASH (as I had given them), so now I am obligated to buy another $11 of worthless overpriced stuff. Whey can't they, as any other store that respects itself, give the customer cash back?

And yes their stuff is overpriced considering they get it free. I wonder how much their CEO and top executives are being paid? maybe an investigation is needed. I am really pissed at their policy. I am on fixed income and really needed a vacuum cleaner.

An
  3rd of Jun, 2009

pardon me? your mad at goodwill because YOU weren't smart enough to give them the right donation box? that's your fault lady. All boxes are processed he minute they come through that door, so yes your stuff probably got thrown away. they get so many donations every day, how are they supposed to keep track of who loses what? they assume what you give them for donation you don't want, which is a pretty fair assumption. your the one who messed up.

Lo
  2nd of Jan, 2010

oh! at least you got some credit slip. Guess what, I bought a white toaster at $4 at Goodwill shop at 17th Street in Cumberland Strip at Knoxville on 12/28/2009. I had seen similar toaster in Wallgreens at $10. So, I thought I could save some money. But when I tried to toast two pieces of bread that I usually toast, the bread simply did not fit in the toaster. I was shocked to see that the toaster was not useful at all. I immediately went back to the store on 1/2/2010 and asked the attendant if I could replace that with some other goods in the store. The lady was so rude that even knowing my problem, she was not ready to replace it at any cost because it was their policy - no exchange - no return. I requested it several times that I could get some other stuffs in place of that since I am returning the item within 7 days but she didn't listen to me. I even told her that it was not GOOD-WILL and rather it was BAD WILL and I may make complain to everyone that I come into contact about this issue. Huh! instead of listening to my plea, she threatened me to call police if I keep on disturbing her. Wow! what a shop and the lady, scaring me for $4. I thought I should call the police for cheating me but my friends persuaded me not to make it mess for $4. I had brought back the item without any damage within 7 days of purchase but it is surprising that the store can only return the good it is damaged. Since it is of no use to me, I left the white toaster in the shop. It is really frustrating to see such store working on donated items not working up to the people's satisfaction.

Br
  11th of May, 2011

They do get tons of stuff in donations everyday, and while i agree they should've realized what the items were when processed, things get messed up. The fact that they were given the box along with other stuff that you donated they may have assumed it was a box that for whatever reason was not wanted. So yes they should've realized it, but you should've too. With the cashier making up prices that is wrong. I know in IN they code everything priced over $1.99. a 7B means 7.99 blue. They have a big problem with customers switching price tags so its necessary to code. anything not coded is either 1.99 or less or has been taken out of the box that was coded. The cashier should've asked management or taken it back to the back to be priced again. On the no exchange no refund policy, i understand it's frustrating when something doesn't work or fit. But, i know that IN Goodwills changed their policy at the beginning of 2011. They had signs up at EVERY register they changed the signs by the doors. and on the bottom of their receipts it has the refund policy. The reason for the change was that Kentucky, Michigan, and Illinois stopped doing refunds and exchanges. IN decided it would be best to give in-store credit that you can use at any IN goodwill. People still get angry but when most people get their money back they just go spend it in the store again. but some people do fraudulent refunds to get extra money back or bringing crap from their houses that they didn't buy to get money back for. All i can really say for you is next time you should try on the clothes you want to buy, plug in or bring some batteries so you can test if something works, ask the cashier what the refund policy is, and last read your receipt for the refund policy. people get angry coz they can't get their money back after buying something then returning it after using it for 2 weeks because now they need gas money. if you don't have that money to spend, then DON'T SPEND IT.