Goldstar Van Lines / Not to be trusted

I hired Gold Star Van Lines (San Jose, CA) to move from California to Hawaii.
First, I was asked to sign (and signed) a blank packing and materials worksheet. Then the movers proceeded to pack some of the boxes I packed into other boxes and charge me for the packing and labor. $748.00 of "packing" charges for a move I was basically packed for.

Next, my estimate was for 350 cubic feet (my shipment was volume because it was going by boat). The driver told me he thought I would be under 300 after he had everything packed in the truck. "Great" I thought.
I heard nothing from GoldStar after they picked up my goods, so I assumed everything was fine and my stuff en route. 3 weeks later I call to get a status and I was told they would get back to me. 6 days later, I called again and the "dispatcher" was out so they would have to get back to me. The next day, now 1 month after pickup, I am told that 1) I have an outstanding balance (approximately equal to my estimate/already paid amount) because I was over estimate. 2) I owe them for a month of storage! 3) My stuff hasn't left San Francisco yet. They had my goods for over a month and didn't bother to call me once.

I spoke with Denny (or Danny) and he has zero concept of customer satisfaction. Completely unapologetic and unwilling to yield on even the storage charges when my stuff was kept COMPLETELY AGAINST MY WISHES. I also had to pay by check or money order, which I would have to send them before they would ship my stuff.
Because of their horrible performance so far, terrible response and the further delay of getting payment to them, I opted to have another company pick up my stuff from them and ship it to me. I paid my estimate amount in full up front and they kept the entire amount and refused a refund of any sort. Michelle told me "You don't know what our costs are" in justification of keeping my money.

Truly unbelievable and one of the worst experiences of my life (not just customer service related experiences). Just a horrible, gut-wrenching, sick to your stomach experience. Save yourself this heartache and use a REPUTABLE moving company.

Comments

30th of Oct, 2007

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ, GOLDSTAR MOVED ME AND NOT ONE COMPLAINT IS TRUE, THEY WERE THE BEST SO PLEASE ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE HATING, GET A LIFE BECAUSE THEY ARE HONEST AND GOOD MOVERS.

ANGELA.

• Ka
      30th of Oct, 2007

Dear consumers,

I made a relocation with GOLDSTAR VAN LINES and I worked with the most awesome sales representative Named Adriena.

She was on top of her game and was very pleasant to talk to and even felt for me leaving all my family and moving to a place where I knew no one.

The movers packed up my goods professionally and with out a doubt did a fantastic job. Even if there are a few more packing charges, so what, they want my goods to get to my destination free of any scratches.

I must say many people think that the moving industry is a scam, but just take the time to talk to someone like Adreina and you will understand the meaning of feeling like you should move with them. The whole move was great from start to finish.

I hope this helps GOLDSTAR in the future, if I ever relocate again, I will call you guys up!

Regards,
    Kathey.

• Re
      31st of Oct, 2007

---------------------------- Original Message ---------------------------- Subject: Ogilvie Furniture Move
    From: "Ogilvy, Sandra"
    Date: Fri, December 22, 2006 1:58 pm
    To: ian@goldstarvanlines.com
    Cc: "Sasha Ogilvy"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to compliment you and your staff on the professional way you handled yourselves in the move of my daughter's furniture from San Jose, California to Seattle, Washington. The drivers stayed in contact with us regarding scheduling and were polite, careful and thorough in their moving of the furniture. In the past, we had a very negative experience with another moving company, but Goldstar Vanlines has left a very positive impression on us and we will definitely use you again.
    Thank you.

Subject: Truck Arrived
    From: captkirk1945@charter.net
    Date: Thu, August 31, 2006 8:47
    Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

Hi Michelle, the truck got here at about 10:00am yesterday morning. The two guys that were with the stuff, Sergey and Nick were very professional and efficient in the unloading, unpacking and setting up of my Mom's stuff. If we ever have anyone we know who needs to move somewhere we will recommend your company.
    M. Kirk Buehler

From: alynnusc@dslextreme.com
    Date: Tue, May 23, 2006 18:20

Hi Michelle,

I just wanted to write you back and say I am very happy with my move with Goldstar Vanlines. You took the time to work with me on the move which I really appreciated and I am satisfied with my moving experience. Your drivers did a tough move and in the same day which was great. I just wanted to thank you and your firm for helping me move to my new home.

Aaron Lynn

Subject: **SL-JUNK** Very Good work.
    From: "Sachin Singhvi"
    Date: Thu, April 20, 2006 9:45

Hi Michelle,

I want to thank Gold Star Vanlines for a very good work done in moving my stuff from California to Oregon.
    It was very fast very professional and safe!!!

I want to thank especially you because you are really great and you were there always to help me if I had any concern.

Thanks to you and Gold Star Vanlines.

Thanks & Regards

From: "Kate Ahimsa"
    Date: Thu, May 31, 2007 7:18 am
    To: info@goldstarvanlines.com

Dear Goldstar,

Thank you for having a wonderful and caring work team pick up my items on May 30th. I was very worried about the move. The work team made things very easy for me and I felt very good about the good care that they took with all of my old things. In my opinion, I believe that these young men are a good team. Once again, I appreciate the care that that took with my household items. I appreciate the comfort level that I am feeling this morning.

Thank-you for arranging this move

Respectfully,
    Kate Williams

Subject: Re: Hi Tom and Dianne
    From: "JOHN AND DIANE BANKS"
    Date: Mon, June 18, 2007 1:13 pm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Adriena,

It sure is good news! Once again I wanted to tell you how pleased we have been with the treatment we have received from you and your company. If we ever (and I must say I hope it will be a very long time. . .) move again we will certainly come back to you. If we hear of anyone moving we will give them your name.

Thanks again,
    Tom Banks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mary Jane,

I am writing to you because you organized my move from New York to LA in
    April. Everything went very smoothly, and I was very impressed by the service.

My company is now relocating 3 staff members from Santa Barbara to Los
    Angeles in July and I have another colleague moving from Texas to Los Angeles.
    What is the best way for me to arrange a quotation for all of them?
    For 3 of these people it is a corporate relocation, paid for by my company, and for the fourth it will be a private arrangement.

Best regards

Date: Mon, July 9, 2007 9:50 am
    "Carlos Smith"
    Cc: info@goldstarvanlines.com

Adriena

Good morning! I know the move was not perfect, but I also know you did what you could to get my furniture delivered. Danny, thank you for rescheduling folks for delivery and working with me to get my furniture delivered the 4th.

In my mind the merit of a company is not based on the perfect experience, but how they handle the imperfect. You guys rose to the occasion. Based on this, I would like to refer a friend of mine to you. He is looking to have a boat (on a 23' trailer) and about 1000 pounds of household goods (books and clothes) shipped from Seattle to San Diego sometime in the next 2 months. I have included him on this e-mail and would like for you to give him the same level of support you gave me.

Carlos
    Adriena is a very helpful and responsive agent, I found her honest and forthcoming. Please give these guys a chance to earn your business.

Regards,

> From: atlantabrvs@comcast.net
    > Date: Wed, July 18, 2007 2:19 pm
    > To: adriena@goldstarvanlines.com
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Adriena, just wanted you to know that you and your company have been
    > most efficient with my move. Your helpfulness and professionalism on the
    > phone was most pleasant. Your movers were friendly and very efficient.
    > I wont hesitate to recommend your company.
    > Please let the boss of the movers that their work was very exceptional.
    > Thanks again for a nice easy move.
    > Mike Thomas
    > 206-818-1297

Subject: RE: your move is booked!!!
    From: "angel priest"
    Date: Fri, August 3, 2007 6:35 am
    To: adriena@goldstarvanlines.com (more)

Hi Adriena,

My things arrived yesterday in Las Vegas, as planned. I haven't had the opportunity
    to go through them yet, but I'm sure that all is well. Everything appeared to be
    packed nicely. Thank you very much for all of your assistance during our move, and
    for making it go as smoothly as possible for Shalimar and Ileana. I will recommend
    your moving service in the future to anyone needing a move. Have an excellent day.

Angel Priest

Original Message ----------------------------
    Subject: Re: just checking in
    From: "Sandi"
    Date: Wed, August 8, 2007 1:40 pm
    To: "Michelle R."

Hi Michelle ... the driver called about 3 hours ago and said that he
    should make it here between 7&8PM tonight ... I ran and got the Postal
    money order and we made room in the garage, so now we are waiting on him.
    You and your company have been wonderful and should you ever need a
    reference or a testimonial, please please just ask me, I would be very
    happy to provide it to whoever is asking.

I will let you know once things arrive.
    Take care,
    Sandi

> Subject: Thank You From Sabrina
    > From: "Sabrina Shaw"
    > Date: Thu, August 9, 2007 10:23 am
    > To: "adriena@goldstarvanlines.com"
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Dear Adriena,
    > Thank you very much for the wonderful work you did
    > with our account.
    > Your attention to details and prompt response made
    > all the difference to us choosing Gold Star as our carrier.
    > We appreciate your excellence in customer service.
    > Wish you all the best.
    > Regards,
    > Sabrina
    > 541-515-2602

Subject: Customer Service
    From: "Jessica Blackmon"
    Date: Thu, August 9, 2007 5:43 pm
    To: info@goldstarvanlines.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
    Jessica Blackmon (jab15091@yahoo.com) on Thursday, August 9, 2007 at
    17:43:27
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

company: n/a-personal move

phone: 360-286-5672

message: To whom it may concern,

My name is Jessica Blackmon and i recently booked a move with your
    company. Our customer service agent was Adreina and she has been a
    pleasure to work with. She is nice, friendly and very knowledgeable
    regarding her job. She has made this stressfull time of moving a more
    pleasant experience and as a result of her professionalism, i have
    referred two of my friends who will need moving services in the near
    future. Thank-You for your courtesy and great customer service.

Jessica Blackmon

Subject: Battilega move
    From: abattilega@comcast.net
    Date: Fri, August 10, 2007 3:45 pm

To whom it may concern:

As I sit and watch the movers pick up our furniture and handle "everything" with
    care I must say how pleased we are. Moving out of state is one of the most
    difficult things to have to go through and Goldstar has made this move much easier
    to go through. Starting with our customer service agent Adriena. Adriena is a very
    pleasant and clear communicator. Her professionalism, understanding, and passion
    for satisfaction should be something should be noticed.

Thank you for your assistance in our time of need should we ever need your services
    again we will certainly call you as well as be proud to refer you to friends,
    family, or anyone who may need moving services.

Andrea Battilega
    Davis, CA

Subject: Re: Customer service letter
    From: "ROGER T JOSEPH"
    Date: Tue, August 14, 2007 4:05 am
    Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

Adriena was a very helpful and pleasant sales
    representative. She was quick to respond to any
    question I had for her and very knowledgeable about
    her job. Adriena made me feel comfortable with and
    during our move which allowed us to focus on more
    important details and let the moving headache be
    handled by Adriena. Thank you very much Adriena you
    are an asset to Gold Star.

Subject: Re: Customer service letter
    From: Jngsalang@aol.com
    Date: Tue, August 14, 2007 7:42 pm

Adriena,

Thanks for your help today and for taking the time to explain the charges.
    It made perfect sense once you gave me the breakdown. I appreciate your
    follow through and friendly manner. It has been a pleasure dealing with you and I
    will recommend GoldStar to anyone who has a move coming up.

Thanks again.

Gina Salang

• De
      23rd of Feb, 2008

I contacted Gold Star Van Lines sometime in July 2007 to move my belongings from Burbank Ca. To Albany, Oregon. At that time I had given them my WAMU Debit card to secure the deposit of $200.00. I authorized them to take out the $200.00 only. I was assured that all of my items would go into a separate bin by them selves and that no one else’s stuff would get mixed up with mine, they assured me that all of my items would go in a bin by themselves...

Once they moved my belongings to Oregon I gave them the remaining balance of $1,938.00 in cash .
    Once all my items where unloaded from their moving van, we then noticed we were missing a total of 25 boxes of our belongings. Since then we have had an on going dispute with this company.

They charged us for packaging that we had already done and we had told them NOT to repack anything as we would do any needed extra packing since we had bought all the supplies to do it with. When we were not looking they unpacked and repackaged several items and charged us over $650.00 additional. I was very upset with that.
    Once they arrived with our items, we noticed that there where several boxes of items that did not belong to us. I called Gold star AND INFORMED THEM OF THIS. I ASKED THEM HOW THIS COULD OF HAPPENED AND Michelle informed me that it was nearly impossible that this could of happened. Since everyone’s stuff is in its own bin. Once they had finished unpacking the van we counted 25 missing boxes of ours. And they had damaged our bedroom furniture.
    I again called Gold Star and spoke with Michelle on this matter of missing items and the damage that was done to our furniture. Michelle told me that yes they did have all 25 of our boxes, but would not ship them to us until we had paid the additional costs. She told me I would have to file a claim with their claims department. I asked her how this could have happened since our stuff was supposed to have been in there own bin.

She could not explain how this could have happened, she said, well maybe someone else got your stuff like you got someone else’s items. I became very upset with her rude answer.
    Then she transferred my call to Danny Shoval the President of the company. I asked him about my missing items and he said, “ I can not tell you anything about your items until you pay us”. He said “take it up with the claims department.” I asked who was in charge of the claims department, and he informed me that “he was the claims department.”
    I informed him I would “NOT” pay any more until I received my items. I told him they needed to take off those charges for the repackaging of my furniture and that we should have never been charged for this. He then hung up on me. I called him back and again he told me I would have to pay, and I would need to send it to their claims department.
    I received a certified letter a few months later that said they where going to auction off my items if I did not pay. I called again and spoke with Michelle. She said “she could not tell me if they did have any of my items not.” Then again she transferred me to Danny Shoval. He said he was the Collections department as well. I asked him again if they had my stuff and he again said I can’t tell you if we have your stuff until you pay us. I told him I was not going to pay them anything until I knew for sure that they had my stuff.
    On the morning of February 12,2008 Danny Shoval from Gold Star Van lines called me again and told me he was the collection department for his company. He said he was going to send me to collections if I did not pay them,
    I told him to go ahead and send me to collections, and that I was NOT going to pay them one cent.
    That afternoon I looked on line at my bank account and seen that he used my debit card and took out $1,350.00 with out my consent. I called Danny at Gold Star and told him I did not authorize him to use my credit card at all, and he hung up on me. I tried calling back and he would not accept my calls.
    I did not authorize this transaction at all.
    A few days letter I received another certified letter from GoldStar Van lines saying they were going to auction off my items. He wrote this letter the same day he called me telling me he was going to send me to collections.

I refuse to pay this company anything else at all. I’m not even certain they have my stuff and I’m also certain they will not pay for the damage THEY DID TO MY FURNITURE.
    I refuse to pay this company anything more. They can sue me for the rest.

I want my bank, Washington Mutual to press charges on this company for the unauthorized use of my WAMU debit Card.

• Bl
      11th of Mar, 2008

Notice that the positive "comments" on this post were posted by Goldstar Van Lines. I do agree with the person that said Adrienna is nice. She was a sweet person and was the reason I decided to go with Goldstar. It's a shame she works for such an immoral company. Denny and Michelle however are both complicit. They went as far as to forge a document with my signature to fight a credit card chargeback!! Truly unbelievable. I'm sure there are some simple moves that they manage to accomplish without screwing somebody over, but do you really want to take the chance in a matter like this?

• Da
      29th of Mar, 2008

I agree. Gold Star Van Lines is probably a criminal organization. They provided us quite a disservice. Then they overcharged us by thousands of dollars.

• Je
      24th of Aug, 2008

I'm so sorry that anyone has had the horrible disservice of working with this company. Everything bad that others have reported on happened to me just as they discribed. The one different thing was that after living in a hotel for 3 weeks instead of the 3 days they insisted it would take, the truck showed up and they refused to unload our stuff unless we gave them an extra $5, 000 cash on top of the $5, 000 we already paid. The original quote was $5, 000.

We paid the cash reluctantly because we were desperate to get our stuff. Some of the furniture came off the truck in pieces.

I have had my claim paperwork sitting on my desk for months because there were so many problems that I'm overwhelemed with it. We were waiting to go back to our house in Seattle to see whether the objects that we didn't recieve were left in our old house, the stationary bike, electric guitar and tv were not at our old house. I believe they were stolen by this company after we moved out.

There were forged documents that were filled out after we signed them saying we agreed to pay more money. I have the original and the forged one which I grabbed away from the driver against his will.

This was also the most horrible experience of my life and I would hate for anyone else to go through this. Please don't let these people near your stuff!

• Je
      1st of Nov, 2008

Hi to all,

I have just moved with "goldstar vanlines" and I just wanted to say that if you are looking for a good moving company with great customer service and care to your belonging call "Goldstar van lines" at Fremont, ca -1888-336-1336, www.goldstarvanlines.com

Great service great price i couldn’t find better then that, thank you to all Goldstar team adriena, the movers and all office stuff for making my move so easy and smooth, thank you thank you!!

Jerry

• Th
      30th of Nov, 2009

They qouted me one price then loaded my furniture and then charged me 10 times the amount qouted