Gold's Gym / $10 month to month scam

1 Kennesaw, GA, United States Review updated:

Last week, late November 2009, a flyer was put on my car windshield that advertised a ten dollar a month, month to month membership. It also said that there was no commitment, no gimmicks, no kidding. It also was handwritten in that the last day the special was available was December 1, 2009. The only other information on the flyer was the locations and phone numbers to where this special was being offered. I called one of the locations and asked a few questions and was satisfied that this was something I wanted to do. So on November 30, yesterday, I went in to sign up. After about an hour of my time being wasted, I was told that in order to get the advertised special, it would cost me over two hundred dollars in fees. Nowhere on the flyer was there any indication of any other fees or special stipulations. And the last gyms I was a member of never charged me up front fees so I did not know I was supposed to ask about them as I was later told by an employee who answered the phone there when I called to complain today. Had it been indicated on the flyer that there would be applicable fees and stipulations I never would have gone up there and wasted my time and gas. But as it is, I feel that my time was stolen from me.

Comments

• Go
      7th of Jun, 2010

Sherri Town is a winer, she knows she can't get a membership to Gold's Gym for $10 dollars without paying an enrollment fee, etc. Come on Sherri, Gold's didn't waste you time you wasted your own time. If you would have invested the money in to you losing weight with the same effort you put forth in your crusade to smear Gold's you would lose the major weight you have

11th of Jan, 2011

It's spelled "whiner". Way to be professional, "Gold's Gym". I was doing research to see which gym to join. Obviously not yours. No worries, I don't have major weight to lose- I ran a marathon this year. Peace.

• Du
      23rd of May, 2012

Hey [censored]s, When they advertise a new car at $199.00 a month do you go there expecting to just pay that or is there something down? This is no different. If you all were not cheap lazy ### and pay just 9.99 more then there wouldnt be upfront fees! shows your not serious about health. Oh and [censored] 2, running wont keep you in good health alone. Stop watching Opra people and quit finding excuses not to better yourself. ### about $10 vs $19.99... REALLY? [censored]es

• Ak
      27th of Jan, 2013

Obviously some ### Gold Gym dealer took a comment here .Sheri you are right, this people at GoldsGym a most ### "car dealer" brained greedy trained people. But who fault is it? All of you. I am not going there, because I will not pay any extra fee just to able to pay a monthly fee! If everybody would do a same thing, and complain about it, they would cancel it. The first time when I signed up in a Gym and they asked for $100 sign up fee, I was laughing, and ask are you serious ? The guy told me ok, you didn't need to pay, but nobody ever complain, so we charge for it... Screw them! 24 h fitness is $350 for 2 years PREPAID, no fees, from Costco...

• Bi
      8th of Mar, 2014

These people are dumb. I bet you are the same girls out in the club with your padded bras and then expect when a man shows interest to accept your mosquito bites... Nothing is free accept your virginity clearly...

Golds don't want your kind anyways. Why font you join planet fitness...cheap ### whiner!

• So
      12th of Apr, 2014

Wow talk about defensive, and bad example . When you go to buy a car you expect some fees but not 199.00 a month going to 600.00 a month. And it is a scam if you advertise 10.00 you expect maybe 12 to 14 extra, not 150.00 . It's a gimmick to sign people up. Iv been to the Gym before and yes they add fee's to everything and try to get you in a contract. Don't kill the messenger ( remember free country) it's one thing to disagree it's another to turn Troll ( someone who uses foul language and insults ) But brave guys insulting women, wow you must be so scary in real life, try to show some respect .

• Na
      9th of May, 2014
    National Fitness / Gold' Gym - Refuse to cancel my account
    Gold's Gym
    Clemson
    South Carolina
    nationalfitness.com

I originally joined a program, "The Biggest Loser.' However, the trainer was either too busy to meet with me or degrading when I didn't do everything that she wanted me to do. I was in need of knee replacement, and when could no longer participate at all (they made me worse!), I sent a letter of cancelling out of the program and stated that my membership card had been destroyed. National Fitness continued to bill my credit card, and refuses to cancel, without a certified doctor's statement of disability. National Fitness repeatedly told me they were only the billing company, but then they demanded my personal health information in order to cancel the contract. They are a scam. Once in, you cannot get out of their billing system! The local Gold's Gym refuses to talk to me about this problem. I have stopped payments through my credit card, yet they keep sending me emails reminding that my payments are overdue. I am reporting them to every consumer protection advocate agency I can find. Also, I am sending a letter for my file for credit reporting. I don't want a Mickey Mouse outfit like this ruining my good credit scores. NIGHTMARE!!!

• Mo
      4th of Jan, 2015

yes hes right 9.99 is a scam, , ones you go to the gym to sign up, they offer you (the gold member ship) which has nothing to do with the special and cost 4 times more, then i said NO i just want the special well they said that does not include anything, and i wanted to add some stuff and avoid some restrictions, i felt bad for the pretty girl koz she spent like an hour explaining everything to me, so they ended up screwing me when i signed up for 39.99-- well i went there for the 9.99 special...its ok i love the gym more than anything...

• Ye
      30th of Jan, 2015

I saw this right away as I read through paperwork and asked them questions, and this was a huge sign for me. After letting them know I couldn't pay it, they were so desperate to keep me in that they waived the fee--something a friend says happened to them, too. I took the bait, though in hindsight I shouldn't have. They've charged me 20 instead of 10 twice already, and I just started getting charged in December. I got both times fixed, but...it's not worth all that trouble for a gym.