GoldCar Rental / charges for damage already existing on collection and prepaid petrol

Carretera Madrid, Km. 531.7 Sevilla Spain, Spain Review updated:

I booked a rental car through Aiport Rentals on 21.08. 2017.

I picked up the car on 22.09.2017 from Goldcar in Mahon, Menorca at 22.11 and there were three marks already shown on the car. I prepaid EUR 37.50 for a full tank of petrol, which I was advised not to fill us as I would not be reimbursed.

I returned the car on 29.09.2017 and the car was inspected and "Sam" an employee checked my sheet as OK and said my deposit would be returned.

On 02.10.2017 at 11.21am I received an email from [protected]@goldcar.com subject bar said MAH Notification - Contract [protected] which said
Dear customer,

Thank you for trusting Rhodium Car Rental for your car hire.

Attached is a message of interest to you.

Kind regards,

Rhodium Car Rental

(No signature, no header, office address, phone number or website address. The charge was not flagged up as pending . The email was not signed off by any person. They did not want to discuss this or even me to see it, by the way it was presented.

There was an attachment showing charges for 3 dents (already shown on car on collection) and petrol, totalling EUR 647. There was no mention of excesss or deposit. I had excess insurance already in place in the UK.

I called Goldcar's customer service line on 2nd October 2017 and was talked through the complaints procedure online and told to say that I had the check out sheet marked OK and signed on inspection and had paid for petrol up front. (Twice what I would use during the holiday).

I paid the outstanding balance showing on my card on 2nd October on my online banking website (Lloyds) and called the bank's Mastercard Department to say that a charge for 647 Euros may be pending. I was told that there was no sign of it being requested and I could call again if it showed up.

£588.78 came out of my credit card account on the same day, 2nd October 2017. It did not even show as pending and this is the same day that I raised my dispute. I have had no further emails from Goldcar since 02.10.2017.

I received one email acknowledging my complaint from Goldcar, showing Incident Number 1405857 on the same day, 2nd October 2017.

My bank's Mastercard department are challenging this for me. I am a journalist and have close family in Spain who work closely with government and speak fluent Spanish. When my money has been returned I am going to take further action as this has caused me stress, loss of earnings and time and I have incurred costs. I expect a full apology and unless steps are put in place to prevent honest customers being treated like this again, I will contact the Spanish Authorities as this is corporate theft.

GoldCar Rental

• Updated by Sophie Sweatman, Oct 24, 2017

I've been refunded now. I wrote to the company I booked car through, Airport Rentals, my credit card issuer Lloyds Bank Mastercard and put a complaint through Goldcar's website. If you call +34 965 943 186 from outside Spain or check this page (which looks recently updated) https://www.goldcar.es/en/atencionCliente/ you need to log this with them and get an incident number. They still stole £600 from my account the same day I put the incident through and so am taking it higher in Spain.

• Updated by Sophie Sweatman, Oct 25, 2017

I have resolved my issue. Have you sent yours to Goldcar's CEO? Let me know if you need any assistance. https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=78557

Thanks

Sophie

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Nov 29, 2017

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very important for us to keep improving and providing our costumers the best service possible.
    We are glad to know that your query has been solved positively. Please take into consideration that if you need further assistance you can contact with us directly through our Customer Service system for a more personalised assistance on the following link by sending us a query on the bottom right of our website: https://www.goldcar.es/en/atencionCliente/

Kind regards,
    Victoria R,
    Goldcar Representative.

• Updated by Sophie Sweatman, Nov 29, 2017

Thank you Victoria for your response and website link.

As a marketing person, I wouldn't call contact via a website "personalised" but thank you for your response to my complaint and it being resolved.

Best regards

Spphie

So
Oct 18, 2017

Comments

• Fr
      Oct 23, 2017

I have just had a very similar problem as you.
    Received car with damage, pointed out on the check out sheet. Returned the car in the same condition. Then got charged for extra damage to the same place. ... on going.

• So
      Nov 29, 2017

@Fred001 Have you managed to resolve this? Write to the CEO via CEOemail.com and provide supporting paperwork if not. I also wrote to the aggregate site I booked my car through as a heads up and they helped too.