GoldCar Rental / avoid goldcar rental! - scam alert!

1 Carretera de Valencia N332, Km 115 San Juan de Alicante, Alicante, Spain, Malta

Avoid GOLDCAR!

This is a warning message to all readers to avoid Goldcar at Malta (and other destinations)!

If I could back in time, I wish to had read reviews before booking with them.

I was victim of fraud, in my opinion.

Last month (June), we hired a car for 3 days with Goldcar (contract 13663990), at Malta's Airport.

It started in a very strange situation, that now I understand, because they almost like forcing us to take their expensive top-up insurance for cover all risks, which we not accepted. So they blocked off the standard €1100 from our credit card and said this would not be touched if there was no 'incident', explaining it could be charged for some particular reasons. Now I understand why they focus on this so much.

At the rental park, they bring to us a Peugeot 108 and we shot some pictures to the car, for prevent some bad surprises in the end.

The car had already many scratches and damages, that even we mark them in the document of the reports, it's almost impossible to point out them all.

For our surprise, after we delivered the car, we were informed that the vehicle had 2 damages: front bumper and under door panel (but we not had a single occurrence).

Despite we showed the photos of the car before we rented it, where it shows EXPLICITLY the damages were already there, it was impossible to convince the assistant that we did not those damages. Note those damages were not mentioned in the document of the reports, as we not signed all the small scratches.

They were acting in bad faith and not having ethics, since we should not pay for the damages that we did not made.

After some emails exchanged with "Mr Tyron Grech", the supposed "Damage Claim Manager" of Goldcar Malta, their justification was always:

"As per the vehicle inspection form which was also signed by yourself upon collection of the vehicle, it states:

ANY DAMAGES AROUND THE WHOLE BODY OF THE VEHICLE NOT REPORTED IN THIS SECTION WILL BE CONSIDERED AS NEW DAMAGES AND WILL BE CHARGED TO THE HIRER ON RETURN OF THE VEHICLE. IT IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HIRER TO CHECK THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE"

So, if you don't sign every 100% of the scratches, even if they are not visible, we have the risk of be charged later with over exaggerated prices.

They charged us 864, 94€.

It's easier to verify that we not damaged the car (by watching the before/after pics) and I suspect they have already charged other clients that really damaged the car other time before we rent. So, they will charge over and over and not repair the car, keeping this fraud or scam repeatedly.

And they reply they will not refund us, replying always with same explanation.

So, we have to stop this scam of the unscrupulous company.

The other reviews I've read, it seems their standard policy is to scam tourists.

For all these reasons described please avoid them, it's worse than being pickpocketed by a thief.

Ma