[Resolved] GoldCar Rental / a company to strongly avoid!

1 Fiumicino AirportRome, Italy Review updated:

Rented a car with an on-line trading site (travelsupermarket) and unluckily got a voucher for Goldcar. After this experience will never use this online marketplace again if I cannot select/verify up front which car rental company I will get assigned. By the way, I landed in Rome on the 19/12/2015 and I took the shuttle van to reach the rental company site, which is 10 minutes drive from the Fiumicino Terminal (very inconvenient especially when dropping off). I provided my voucher which was for a Group R car (Fiat 500L or similar) but Immediately they told me that no Fiat 500L were available but only Renault Clio (which is far smaller than the 500L). Actually these guys only run Renault or Nissan cars so there is no way you can have a 500L, giulietta, Golf, or similar when you get to them via a comparison web site. Anyway after some complain I requested an upgrade and they gave me a Cangoo for extra 50 Euros. After sorting the car, the annoying lady at the counter "Elisa" started to push and sell me the extra insurance, insisting and frightening me about the excess charges in case of an accident. I had to insist and rise my voice to let her drop the selling and she finally gave up. I might say never experience a most annoying desk attendant at any service desk in my life! Thinking this was over and ready to leave to pick the car, she then told me I had to pay advance refueling and that was 135 Euros! I mean 135 Euros for a full tank of a medium car? with the diesel price at Eur 1, 19 per liter in Italy, that was a complete rip off. Unfortunately with this company you cannot avoid to pay fueling in advance so be aware when you think you have found a deal with GoldCar because you'll pay the extra at the check in!!! I finally managed to leave with the car and when I returned it, then I had another great experience with the check out clerk! after looking at everything possible to report he just found a minimal scratch (that I didn't notice during the check in) in the rear bumper and he told me nicely that he had to report it to the customer services, but just for information. That wasn't meant to be an accident report but he had just to report it. I said that was strange. I double check with the guy that that "reporting for information" would have resulted into an extra charge on my credit card but he assured me that no, no charges on my credit card would have happened because of that report but customer service would have contacted me for clarifications. ...In fact, on the same day my credit card was charged by Gold Car for Euro 300!! on the same day!!! for a scratch which can barely be noticed!!! BOTTOM LINE: This guys are absolutely a fraud. You have to be aware and very careful with GoldCar about the extra charges when you get the car and the way how they try to find reasons for extra charges for damages when you return the car. Staff attendants are aggressive and annoying both during check in and check out so I strongly suggest NOT TO USE THIS COMPANY for any rental, at least in Rome (my experience). After my experience I logged a claim with their customer support but still haven't received any response or feedback

• Resolution statement

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Jan 27, 2016

Dear LoreLa,

We are constantly trying to improve our services and your feedback is highly appreciated. Allow me to respond to your comments above. The rental procedure is explained on our webpage during the booking process. Please note that customers can only book the desired category of vehicle, the offered vehicle at the counter depends on availability. All information regarding the location of our offices (and shuttle services for the few that are not in the airport facilities) can be found our webpage, on the booking voucher as well as in our official YouTube channel. During the booking process customers have the option of purchasing two fuel plans: our Flex Fuel plan, where the customer pre-purchases a full tank and receives a refund for unused fuel (no need to return it empty), minus a handling and administration fee. The second plan is a Full to Full, where the customer pre-purchases a full tank and is refunded the same amount when returning the vehicle with a full tank. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Kind regards,
    Victoria R.
    Goldcar representative

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Mar 18, 2016

Dear Jimpap77,

Please allow me to explain our Flex Fuel policy: customers pre-purchase a full tank and receive a refund for unused fuel, minus a handling and administration fee (the vehicle needs to be driven to be refueled and cannot be rented out in the meantime). With this plan customers benefit from our Quick Return System, they don't have to worry about refueling the vehicle close to the office before returning it or wait for the tank to be checked. This is explained during the booking process through our website (please copy/paste the following link on your browser for a screenshot: http://bit.ly/1HdvHef). A Full to Full plan is also offered and explained during the booking process through our website (http://bit.ly/1AWwjQE).

Kind regards,
    Victoria R.
    Goldcar representative

Lo
Jan 14, 2016

Comments

• Ji
      11th of Feb, 2016

Rented a car with their SITE.. After this experience will never use this CAR RENT company again.
    By the way, I landed in Athens on 4/2/2015 and I took the shuttle van to reach the rental company site, which is 15 minutes drive from the airport and waiting for over 20 minutes the shuttle bus to come. I provided my voucher which was for a Group R car (Fiat 500L or similar) but Immediately they told me that Fiat 500L was DIESEL and had to pay more 12 euros . Available but only Nissan Note (which is far smaller than the 500L). . Although i bought an extra Super Relax insurance. Also they charge in advance for Fuel 53, 66 Euros and 18, 70 for Fuel Service (what does it means ? ). They say that what i booked, another person from the personnel when i returned the car said that I could change it (nobody told me that when picking the car)
    NOT TO USE THIS COMPANY for any rental.