Gold Star Van Lines / Overcharges and rotten service

1 3984 Washington Blvd. #335Fremont, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-336-1336

Hello,

We hired Gold Star to move our household goods including some packing. They significantly overcharged us. Of course, we were forced to pay, since they had everything we own in their possession. Because of the poor (arguably criminal) and suspicious behavior during the loading, we were careful to check for discrepancies in the packing inventory and weight. Both were significantly overcharged.

Our initial estimate was $3270. It is against regulations for the actual charge to be more that 110% of the estimate. They charged us $7970, or $4373 more than the maximum allowed. Besides providing extremely poor service (insults, yelling, misinformation, for example), they also charged us for services that they did not provide.

Since the initial estimate did not include packing service, I can grudgingly allow for about $1000 for this. The inventory of what the moving company packed was incorrect. They charged us both for the boxes and the packing service for several boxes that we did not receive. The driver would not allow me to document the inventory discrepancies at the time of delivery. Shortly after our shipment was delivered I informed Gold Star of the missing boxes. So they have had ample time to find them and deliver them.

We spent many hours documenting our claim according to their instructions. They offered less than $500. Of course, I will not sign the offer, since it stipulates that we hold no further claim. This offer was strictly for damaged and missing items covered by the insurance. So, this would actually be over and above the initial overcharges, for which they offered no refund. All the while they keep promising that they offer a guarantee of satisfaction. I even offered to settle for less than they owed us, but they still refuse to rectify the overcharges.

I still stand by my remaining claim of $5364 for missing and damaged goods, and overcharges.

Regards,
Darren Lauser

Comments

• Dd
      11th of Feb, 2010
    Gold Star Van Lines - Moving scam!
    Gold Star Van Lines
    goldstarvanlines.com

RED FLAG!! RED FLAG!! This is a rip-off company. We hired them to move our stuff from OR to WI without enough research, and not being aware of moving scams. They picked up our stuff and promptly doubled the total due and held it hostage until we paid their ransom. They would not accept credit cards because of the protection that they offer to the consumer. They ended up delivering (not THEM, but a subcntracted company) our belongings a full 32 days after delivery, in full violation of their own contract. When I complained to the BBB, they outright lied. This company needs to be put out of business. DO NOT USE!!