GNC - 817 3rd Ave # 1, New York, NY / Rude and obnoxious customer service!

GNC
817 3rd Ave # 1, New York, NY - [protected]
www.gnc.com

I see from your website that others have had similar experiences to mine. It must be Corporate Policy to be rude and obnoxious -- and to use illegal tactics.

My Sunday paper had a GNC flyer with a "$5 off your purchase of $35 or more" coupon. I stopped at this store on Monday morning and tried to purchase over $50 worth of merchandise. I handed my coupon to the cashier and she handed it back to me saying I had to purchase a Gold Card in order to use the coupon. I asked her exactly where on the coupon did it state this, and she said it didn't matter, the computer would not accept the coupon (the coupon clearly had instructions about how to ring up the purchase with or without a Gold Card). I really needed one of the bottles of vitamins, so I told her to keep the rest and just ring up the one bottle, which I paid for in cash. When I got to work, I called the Corporate Offices and spoke to someone who said what the cashier told me was not true. He called the store while I was on hold; he got back on and told me to go back and see the manager, Harry, who would be happy to help me. That night when I got home I realized I bought the wrong dosage of vitamins, so the next day I went back to the store to return them. The manager, Harry, refused to take back the vitamins unless I wrote down my name, address, telephone number and drivers' license number! I told him there was absolutely no reason for him to have this personal information to refund a small cash purchase. He insisted it was "Corporate policy". I demanded my money back; he refused. Again, he insisted I write down this personal information. Again, I refused. Back at work, I again called the Corporate Office and was told that this information was not required for a returned item. This guy tells me it's GNC's policy that if you want to return anything, you must show a picture ID (why??? It's not drugs. it's not contraband! it's Vitamin C!) I told the Corporate guy that I didn't see any notice posted with that kind of return policy. He said it's on the back of the receipt! Well, guess what, you don't see that until AFTER you make the purchase! Too late! DUH!

Now, the saddest part of this tale is that I reported them to the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. After all of the things I wrote about, their 2 line email stated: DCA CONDUCTED AN INSPECTION OF GNC AND IT WAS DETERMINED THAT PROPER SIGN AGE WAS AT FRONT OF THE REGISTER, NO VIOLATIONS EXIST.

THANK YOU.

More and more the consumer comes out last with these companies that wouldn't know good customer service if it hit them in the pocketbook. Like Michael and Chayang, I will never step foot in another GNC store. I'm sorry, VitaminShoppe, I strayed. I've learned my lesson and will never shop for vitamins anywhere else again!

Va

Comments

• Lu
      30th of Jul, 2009

I MUST START WITH SAYING IF YOU COULD HELP IT DON'T EVER SHOP AT THIS GNC LOCATED AT 817 THIRD AVENUE IN NEW YORK CITY BUT IF YOU MUST GO THERE DON'T EVER EVER AND I MEAN EVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD GNC WILL TELL YOU THE CARD WAS DECLINE THEN YOU WILL NOTICE ON YOUR STATEMENT THAT GNC DID CHARGE YOU DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME WITH GNC AND THEIR UNPROFESSIONAL, LIARS, RUDE, UNEDUCATED STAFF JUST CALL YOUR BANK AND LET THEM KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD AT 817 THIRD AVENUE NEW YORK NY 10022.

• Ih
      27th of Jan, 2010

GNC CORPORATE OFFICE is not responsive to customer concerns regarding the misleading practices of its franchises. Do not shop at GNC. Post notices in all gyms on facebook pages, etc. GNC's lack of customer service should result in the bankruptcy of this corporation.