GMC / overcharges
I am writing in regards to repairs done to my vehicle and the money I was overcharged for these repairs.
I bought my vehicle in Canada but the repairs were done in the USA, and that is why I am writing to both of you.
I bought my 1998 GMC Jimmy in Canada on July 13, 2007 for $9000.00.
After driving it for some time there was found several things wrong with it. Wipers won’t start sometimes unless you physically pull on wipers to start them. Back window leaks going through car wash. Dome light stays on unless you use the Dome Override button. When you shut engine off radio stays on until you open door, this only works sometimes. Floor on front passenger side is wet because leak some where, still looking for. The warranty was only good for 1 month and so I am trying to live with these problems. This was very disappointing.
I had $912.26 worth of maintenance done to the vehicle on Aug 30, 2007 at the start of my vacation.
Middle of September I went to put the vehicle in 4HI but it would not go in and it never did after that, although it would go in 4LO. I did not need 4 X 4, so I was going to get it fixed after my vacation.
During my vacation if I was driving at highway speed there would be a whining noise and it felt as if something was trying to engage in the 4 wheel drive system. I would have to pull over to the side of the road and something would disengage and the noise would stop. Then I would continue on my way.
This condition started out to be once per week and increased to almost continual, and so I stopped at the nearest GMC dealer for repairs, which was the ANCIRA dealer in BOERNE, Texas. On Friday Oct 12, 2007, at noon. Near the end of the day I was told it probably needed a new 4X4 motor which engages the 4X4, it would cost about $450.00, and the front differential seals were leaking. It was Friday and the vehicle would not be ready until Monday. I told them to go ahead and fix it. So I found a place to stay for the weekend.
On Monday, October 15, 2007, after lunch I got a call from the dealer. I was told that they were still working on the diagnostics, they were talking to GMC technicians, this was not a regular problem ( which seemed strange ), that I would need a control module, and a 4X4 motor, and it would cost about $1100.00. I gave the OK to go ahead with the repairs. After the call my wife mentioned that the diagnosis seemed to be taking quite awhile.
On Tuesday, October 16, 2007, around 10:00 am I got a call from the dealer. I was told the control module was changed, that I would need a new encoder motor, which was now $750.00 instead of the $450.00, a new vacuum switch, and new seals for the front differential. I was told this would now be $2100.00. I was very upset, but I was on vacation, had to have it fixed, and the dealer was not any help in fixing the problem of the high price for the repairs. So I picked up the vehicle at the end of the day, paid $1996.91 for the repairs and the dealer was still no help with the high cost.
I finished my vacation and am now writing to you as I am very unhappy and disappointed with the way the problem was fixed and the over charge of the repairs. What I am upset about is the following:
- I paid $9100.00 for the vehicle, plus $912.26 in maintenance = $10012.26. Then I was charged $1996.91, or 20% more. This is unacceptable.
- The diagnostics took too long. Friday afternoon and Monday still doing diagnostics, way too long, and I should not be paying for extra time to diagnose a problem.
- Price for 4X4 motor went from $450.00 to $750.00, Was overcharged or price is covering other time or costs.
- I was told this was not a regular problem, and that they were talking to other GMC technicians. Seems like the dealer was not fully qualified to fix the problem, and I should not be overcharged for this either.
I have been a loyal GMC owner for most of the 31 years that I have owned and driven a vehicle, and hope to continue this tradition, with your assistance in correcting this problem.
To fix this problem I should be reimbursed $900.00 that I was overcharged from the original estimate, and that I feel was in excess of the proper time and repair of the vehicle.
More GMC Complaints & Reviews
- General Motors - bad service 
- Onstar / General Motors - forced use of onstar 
- General Motors Cadillac Escalade - spontaneous acceleration 
- General Motors - a/c issues 
- General Motors South Africa - opel astra peeling headlights 
- General Motors Corporation - body shop at bill cramer gm, panama city florida
- General Motors Corporation - 2005 corvette coupe
- General Motors Corporation - 2015 cadillac escalade
- General Motors Corporation - capitol cadillac in greenbelt maryland
- General Motors Corporation - gm bulletin 18-na-183