GMAC Lease / Beware!

1 Traverse City, MI, United States Review updated:

I have been leasing for 15+ years and never got a bill in the mail when I returned my vehicle. As we know when we return our vehicles they are detailed. There are some surface scratches on my truck that could be rubbed out and I replaced a tire for $180 and since it wasn't identicle to the other tires, they charged me $175. If that was the case, why didn't they return my brand-new tire? My invoice was for $1, 300 for alot of bogus charges. I had my car for 46 months and theya re trying to tell me that the tread on the tire is low and they are charging me another $175, but yet their measuring tool wasn't even in the grooves. This is ridiculous. I guess I won't be buying or leasing another GM vehicle.

Dawn S.
dawns@comcast.net

Comments

15th of Oct, 2009

I have been a GMAC consumer for 11 yrs and never had a problem with a turn-in untill now! They have charged me $500 dollars in outrageous charges. Normal wear-n-tear and when I asked to talk to someone about the claims they said they would have someone contact me and I'm still waiting 5 months later! Instead of addressing the problem they sent me a letter letting me know I had 30 days to clear up the debt or it would be sent to collections. When I contacted them and let them know no one had contaced me from claims they looked at the pictures and agreed that some of the charges were not out side the wear-n-tear agreement and offer me a $200 settlement. I told them no way that was crazy! I wanted to speak with someone in claims...not billing. They sent me to collections and now I'm being harrassed!!! 11 years and never a missed payment...NEVER damage charges! I will never lease with GMAC again.

• Le
      23rd of Oct, 2009

I will never ever again lease or buy a GMAC product. I leased an Avalanche which I drove sparingly. I had a 15000 mile a year contract and after 3 years I had less than 17000 miles on the vehicle. I took the vehicle back to the deraler where I had lease it and then was told by them that an independent would review the vehicle and make determination of any other costs. They would not eve come out and review the vehicle themselves, so I took lots of pictures. Well long story short, I got a bill for $398.15. The break down was Finance Charged earned to date - $167.73, Disposition Fee $250.00 and what I would term as Normal Wear and Tear $145.20. This companty needs to go away. The business practice are border line and aim to squeeze more $$ from customers. To bad, you lost this one for life and I will not be silent. Others will hear of this treatment and warned to go elsewhere with their business.

27th of Oct, 2009

I leased my Trailblazer for 3 years and then turned it in. After a year, they said I forgot to turn in a set of keys and billed me for $125.00. I know I turned in two sets and had verification from the dealership. They refused to accept this and continued to bill me for the keys, which I ignored. After awhile I got a call from a collection agency that if I didn't pay, my credit would suffer. I paid the money knowing what would happen if I didn't pay. I'm 66 years old and started when I was seventeen. I always purchased GM products but now I'm a proud owner of a Ford pickup and an Explorer. I also tore up my GMAC card that I had for a future purchase of a GM vehicle. This is one of the reasons GM went under, not taking care of the customer. They lost thousands of dollars with just one customer. Think of the overall total of monies lost because of dissatisfied customers. Wake up GM!

• Mi
      12th of Nov, 2009

I received a GMAC bill containing misspellings charging $742 for "worn tires". When the vehicle was turned in it had 22, 006 miles on it. I paid GMAC on it time, I paid to turn the car in early and now I am forced to pay for brand new tires, so someone else can enjoy them. Lesson learned, I hope the $742 was worth losing a consumer whom purchased or leased a new GM vehicle every two to three years. It is a shame that GM/GMAC are billing people for outrageous charges and for things that should be considered normal wear and tear and does not feel the need to keep its once loyal customers. Goodbye GM.

• Ih
      25th of Nov, 2009

i leased an envoy for 4yrs returned the vehicle with 2000$ worth of extras put on the vehicle by the dealer returned the car with 32, 000 miles. salesman walked around vehicle said all was great...2mnth later i recieved a bill for 1200$ for damages they claim were made to thefront grill are you kidding me 2 mnths later after everyone jockied it around the lot. get harrasing phone calls ruined my credit id rather cut my head off then get extorted for this money...so long gm this is one of thr reasons i had to bail you out you suck ###! ill never buy a gm product again ###s...

• Ho
      10th of Mar, 2010

they are bunch of liars just sue them
    much as you can they still taking your tax money
    from the gov.
    Daniel K Vance

• Ho
      10th of Mar, 2010

they are bunch of liars just sue them
    as much as you can they still taking your tax money
    from the gov
    Daniel K Vance

1st of Apr, 2010

Just turned in my 2007 Impala lease at the dealership I leased the vehicle from. The car was in perfect condition and was turned in way under mileage (24, 000 miles on a 36, 000 mile lease and in perfect condition. The car had been in minor accident and the rear bumper was replaced at the same Chevrolet dealership. I just received a bill for excess wear for the rear bumper that was fixed by their dealership along with an additional charge for excess wear on the front bumper they claimed had also been in an accident. The front bumper NEVER was repaired and the back bumper was in like new condition. I called to dispute the charges but from the comments above it looks like there won't be a happy ending! The charge is $265.84 and totally unwarranted. I have purchased GM products for the past 26 years and this was my first lease. Not only will I not lease another GM car, but I will not step into another GM dealership for the rest of my life. They can take their employee discount, my GM credit card, and my GM insurance and shove them. The $266 they robbed me of now will be nothing compared to what they will lose from me down the road. I can't believe that their robbery is legal. Thanks you to our government for allowing us to get screwed again! I will make sure that I complain to the BBB as well as my state Attorney General's Office and my dollars will be spent elsewhere. They should have let them go bankrupt and got rid of those crooks!

9th of Apr, 2010

I turned in my 2006 Pontiac G6 and was charged $850 for a worn tire and poor body work done on the hood. The funny part is the body work was done by a Chevrolet Dealer. Didn't they waive that fee immediately after I faxed them the proof that they did the work. What a hoax. AND I bought a Chevy trailblazer from them, Stupid me. NEVER AGAIN. They do not deserve my Business or anyone elses for that matter...At this point I refuse to pay them $185.00 for a worn tire. They immediately sent me over to a collector where it will stay.

• Bi
      23rd of May, 2010

+I just turned in an 07 Torrent with 22, 000 miles on it in perfect shape. GMAC is now trying to charge me $ 156 for a "poor" rear bumber repair. Only problem is the car was
    never damaged, never even scratched. Thier 'independent" picture shows a lot of water
    beads on that bumber, nothing else. If they don't recant. I plan to file a complaint with the Michigan state's attorney general and the Better business bureau. After 15 years of leasing as a Gm/Delphi employee with no problems, there have been attenpts to gouge
    me on the last two lease returns, coincident with GMAC being bought out by a bank.
    I. like the rest of you will probablynever buy another GM car but, people, by the thousands, are being bilked out of millions of dollars by GMAC. Is anyone else intersted in a class action suit to attempt to recover some of their ill gotten gain?

8th of Jun, 2010

I to have been scamed by GMAC, I leased a Hummer back in 2006, In may 2009, I turned it in under the alloted miles and in good shape. I took it to the dealership and myself and an employee of the dealership looked the vehicle over and noticed no damage which he agreed. Mind you I have never had a late payment or missed a payment for this vehicle or any other credit card or loan I have ever had. I did have perfect credit. So about a week after I turned the vehicle in i received a letter from GMAC saying that I owed them $273.90 for a dent on my hood that did not exsist when i turned it in. I looked at the pictures and still did not see what they where talking about. I immediately notified GMAC that i was disputing this claim, to which they said fine we will turn it over to asset recovery to look at the dispute. About a week later I get a letter from GMAC saying they reviewed my dispute and to bad you still owe the money. I told them that I wanted to have an independent third party do an inspection of the vehicle at which time they told me no and that they already sold the vehicle at auction. They then said if I do not pay what they say they will turn me over to collections and eventually the credit bureau. Because we where not going to come to an agreement I advised them I wanted either a third party arbitrator or the courts to make a determination if damage exsisted and have not heard from them since. Well I have recently found out that they have in fact reported this to the credit bureau and now my perfect credit is ruined and in fact credit cards i have had all my life and paid on time with zero balances are now cancelling my credit. I have had GM's my whole life and am shocked that they treat loyal customers like this, its almost modern day extortion. Pay what we say or your credit will be ruined. I can not let this happen to anyone else it is the biggest scam i have ever seen with no recourse to fight it. So I have decided that I will file suit against GMAC and would like anyone else with similar problems to join me in a class action suit against GMAC. If you are interested please contact me at GMACleasescam@yahoo.com, Also I have reported this to b0th my states attorney general and also the feds better business bureau and incourage you all to do the same. I hope to hear from you soon!

• Jr
      14th of Jun, 2010

I just turned in a Cadillac Escalade. I took pictures and have called 5 times to find out when the inspection will happen. I want to see their pictures and see what they have to say about the wear on this vehicle..it is in excellent condition even though the miles are excessive. I don't mind paying for excessive miles on a lease agreement. I know what I am paying for. However, if they try to assess me any excessive wear on the vehicle (and, I am afraid they will) after leaving it on a dealership lot for several weeks, I will fight it. Further, I would be very interested in learning about any class actions filed against GMAC regarding misconduct with lease inspections upon turn in. It is clear that the inspectors are not independent or, worse, incentivised to find éxcessive' wear even if it is not there. I received two letters from GMAC telling me I would be billed AFTER the vehicle goes to auction (e.g. after they find out the the market value has decreased and assign their ownership risk to my wear and tear). I will likely pay more in legal fees than in the amount they will will bill, but I feel I will have to do so on principle.

• Ju
      12th of Jul, 2010

Same boat here. We just turned in a 07' Saturn Aura, undermilage, and still in great shape. Low and behold GMAC fines us for a bent rim(steel rim/hubcaps) 3 weeks after the turn in. Here's the kicker, we had rim and tire insurance on it and the rim was repaired by Saturn. Saturns repair was beating the steel rim back in to shape instead of replacing it. Which imo, who cares, it worked and the hubcap covers it. Well 1 1/2 years(of a working "repaired" rim) later it bites us in the [censor] and GMAC is sticking us with a $300 charge for that "fixed" rim. Also after doing some investigating and calling(today), the tire/rim warranty company has on record of them approving Saturn of replacing that rim, not just fixing it. It's no wonder why these companies went and are going out of business. Government Motors can't fail fast enough imo.

• Be
      19th of Jul, 2010

We experienced the same problem. We were loyal gmac customers for many years. We should have been allowed to be present at the inspection. We disputed excess wear on one tire. The card was not placed correctly. We were only over miles by 200. We asked to dispute this and were treated very rudely by an agent named la tisha. Called again later and were mistreated by another agent who wouldn't let us talk to someone else. She said pay or ruin your credit. It's in your contract so you have to pay. We saw the picture and disagreed. They are right no matter what. I wish we didn't already purchase another vehicle from them. Unfair and unprofessional!!! Never again!!!

• Re
      8th of Aug, 2010

Same Problem! I first leased from GMAC in the nineties. When I turned in my S-10 pickup at the end of the lease, the dealer said it looked great, well maintained and under mileage. More than eight weeks later, I received the letter saying that the spare tire was missing and I owed them $250.00. I pleaded my case to the dealer, to GMAC, and to the Michigan State Attorney General, all to no avail. Finally I ended up paying about $150.00 in order to maintain my credit. (BTW, last month I got my credit score and it is over 800). A couple of weeks ago I turned in a 2007 Saturn Aura lease vehicle. After three years this car had less than 26, 000 miles on it and I already had to replace the brakes. I specifically asked the dealer for an inspection of the car before I relinquished control of it. I told the dealer I didn't want a repeat of the S-10 incident. In addition to myself, at least two representatives of the dealership inspected the car and assured me there was no problem with it. My salesman even checked to make sure there was a spare tire in the car. Yesterday, I received a letter from GMAC stating that I owe them $522.10 for a "cracked bumper." I've driven GM cars for 45 years. Unless this problem is resolved, this will be my last.

• Ks
      18th of Aug, 2010

I WILL NEVER by a GM product again. Just like everyone else here, I turned in my lease after 2 years. I did go over mileage (500), which I expected to pay. I received a letter from them that I owed $1600! They said 1 tire had excessive wear, found dents and scratches, also finance charges ( CAR WAS PAID, NEVER LATE) . The car was in great condition, everyone that knows me, knows that I keep my vehicles spotless. The dealer went over the vehicle with me and agreed the car was in perfect condition. I called GMAC to dispute and asked to see the car, they said it was sold at auction (THATS HOW THEIR SCAM WORKS). It was nice the they agreed to settle for $1160.00, which I kindly told them to &%$# themselves. I spoke with friends and family about this and to find out they have had the same problem with a GMAC lease. I am still trying to settle this with GMAC, they are rude and good luck trying to get a supervisor. This was my last GM purchase!
    I will support Chrysler and Ford!

• Su
      19th of Aug, 2010

I am leasing a 2007 Pontiac and by reading all these complaints I am so nervous. I turn in my car in Apr 2011 and I know that I went over the mileage but I will make sure that I get my car detailed and all the repairs that I think that needs to go into it. I know that I will owe some money but I hope that it will not be over 400.00. I made a huge mistake leasing, this was my first time and it will definently be my last.

23rd of Aug, 2010

I just turned in a 2007 Escalade. My allowance was 39, 000 miles. I turned it and it had 19, 000 miles. Someone backed into it in parking lot. I had the best body shop in Fresno repair it. I cost $1, 500 for a small scratch. I also bought the best blue tooth for the car it was $800.00. I left it in the car. There was not one scratch, water spot or door dent. I just got a bill for $435.00 because I had the body repaired. It was perfect. This Obama run company is a bunch of Chicago gangsters. I would never walk on a GM dealership. That's why I drive BMWs and Lexus.

• Ba
      24th of Aug, 2010

I have leased 5 vehicles with GMAC and never had a thin dime charged for damage. I turned in a van in the 1990s with a jacked-up side mirror and was expecting to pay, but they never charged me.
    But now, I decided to buy and since GMAC is no longer affiliated with GM (they are called Ally now), my dealership financed through a local bank.
    Sure enough, I get a bill for $600 in charges for phantom "dents" that are not visible in the pictures they have on-line. I called last night, but the phone jockey had no clue. I will be calling again and again until I get this resolved. I will be a problem.

4th of Sep, 2010

My wife recently turned in her 2006 Pontiac G6.

We decided to purchase our next vehicle instead of lease. To our surprise, we received a 785.51 bill for "scratches" that weren't there when we turned in the car.

She called GMAC. First, she asked why we would be responsible for damage that happened at the dealership. They didn't really have an answer for that one.

Then, she asked if we could see the car and/or try to repair the scratches, since it just looks like the clear coat was scratched. They said that the car had already been sold.

I would NEVER, EVER lease another vehicle through GMAC. I wish she had researched their scams a little better before deciding to go with them.