Gmac / repossession tactics

1 IL, United States Review updated:

GMAC repossessed my car 02-12-09; my son had dropped me at the train station. When he came home 2 repo men and 2 phony Sheriff's officer armed with bolt cutters etc. Approached my son telling him they came to repossess the car. My son tried to reach me; but in the subway you can't get a single. So he asked the 2 uniformed officers for identification; none was produced. The only reason they didn't cut the gate lock was because the dogs were sitting at the gate. Oh, I almost forgot the two uniformed officers arrived with lights flashing atop the squad car. I've filed a formal complaint with the Cook County Sheriff's office and was informed if they were in fact sheriff's police and took part in this repossession they can be suspended or both. Techincally, they were on duty and secondly should not have taken part in the repossession especially in uniform. If they were not sworn officers they face even bigger problems. GMAC sucks; but they want a bailout--they should fold.

Angry consumer

Comments

• Si
      27th of Feb, 2009

So...exactly how is it GMAC's fault that you didn't pay your bill?

• Dw
      9th of May, 2009

If people paid there bills they wouldn't need a bailout.

• Em
      12th of Aug, 2009

There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Under no circumstances can you impersonate a law enforcement officer. If that is what happened here, GMAC can be sued for wrongful repossession and the repomen can lose their licenses, if not charged with a crime.