Global Winners International / repeated phone calls

1 CA, United States Review updated:

My mother has received MANY calls from men, with strong accents, advising her she won $2, 000, 000 and all she had to do was . . . . (it kept changing). Today she needs to go to Wal-Mart, CVS, or Radio Shack and purchase something (I cannot remember the name of the packet) for $150 and get right back to John Fisher in Las Vegas [protected] and give him the code off the money packet. He would then begin processing her prize which is to be delivered to her home on Monday. When asked what proof I had that they were legit I was told ALL the conversations were recorded and that the BBB, IRS and Chamber of Commerce were all listening in. "Okay, Sweetie?" My Mom has the sense to recognize a scam and did not do anything but listen to them and ask some pretty good questions. BUT THEY WILL NOT STOP CALLING!!! I will now be making one more call to 'John Fisher' and tell him to back off, that I have reported this scam and will be calling the phone company and the police if they persist. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pl

Comments

• Ba
      27th of Dec, 2011

Thanks for sharing I was just about to go out and send a money order but something told me check this out and see what everyone is saying about this "winning"

• Ba
      27th of Dec, 2011

Thanks for sharing the complaints I would have given the western union $ for registration and after reading about the scam I won't be going out to give away hard earned money to scam artists

• Lu
      25th of May, 2012

I just received a call from "Tony Brown" who he said works for Wells Fargo in connection with Global Winners International in Las Vegas, Nevada. He did not say how much had been won, but I would need to get a registration form to receive the money. It turns out it was a green dot card from any Walmart or CVS in my city. The caller id showed the number to be 876-460-9996 simply from Jamaica. He gave my daughter's name, but was only too willing to say that I could get the form as he would need it before the time that she would be home. He would call back and then "two men" would come to the house to bring the winnings. I am not stupid. Oh yes the amount to be put on the green dot card was 125.00. I am deciding if I should notify Wells Fargo that their name is being used in a scam. This guy was inept and is either very dumb or very new to this game. I just hope they don't start calling a lot. By the way, I had no intention of going to Either of those stores.