Global Travel Shield / Rip-off!

1 P.O. Box 792Golden, CO, United States Review updated:

I can't believe American Express underwrites this activity. My parents have the highest regard for American Express but they are not doing a good job having Global Travel Shield Insurance underwrite their travel insurance. My father had to have prostate surgery on March 17th at 7 a.m., then emergency surgery and 11:00 p.m. that same day. They had to cancel a cruise on April 5th due to the possibility of additional bleeding. The doctor told him not to travel for thirty days.

On March 20th they called their American Express representative to cancel the trip and to Global Shield from whom they had purchased trip cancellation insurance. The cruise line was very nice and returned 25% of their money, but they were not given any money back from the insurance company.

We sent all of the papers to them return receipt requested, they signed for them on April 22nd. About May 20th a call from them said they never received them. About May 28th, when my parents called, they said they just "found" the papers. If there were any problems they said they would call in two days.

Today, June 5th, my dad spoke to them. These are the stories they received:

1. Your claim was $ 140 too much- you don't have Pre-Existing because your trip was more than the insurance.

2. The doctor wrote something wrong on his form.

3. You didn't sign up in time for Pre-Existing conditions. (Their insurance was bought on June 20, 2007, within 3 days of their booking the trip on June 17th at a cost of $397 it was confirmed.)

What is Global Shield trying to do? Not give back what is rightfully theirs? They followed all the directions given them. They sent registered mail all credit card receipts, doctor's forms, hospital papers, everything requested! What do senior citizens need to do besides what they are doing, have an attorney? This is no small amount of money to them.

If anyone out there has ever had a problem with Global Travel Shield/ American Express not honoring their commitment please contact us as we are contemplating initiating a class action suit. mikekcmo AT hotmail.com.

Va

Comments

• 11
      17th of Sep, 2009

Fail complaint. Way to leave out key elements of the story.

Did you fully read the terms and conditions?

I dont get why people purchase insurance without FULLY READING THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

18th of Oct, 2010

Have you left out some important details? The dates do not seem to match up. I have never heard anything but wonderful comments about this service and about American Express!

• Go
      7th of Jul, 2011

My husband and I have collected twice from Global Travel Shield. He broke his arm twice in two consecutive years, making it impossible for him to continue on a long-planned and very expensive bike tour. Once we submitted receipts and other documentation, they paid every dime. We were even able to restore the miles we used to purchase airline tickets to my Delta account.

I'm using them again this year, although the rates have gone up a bit. Peace of mind really is priceless. Sorry to hear that others have had problems but my expereiences are 100% great with them.

Traveler

• To
      24th of Aug, 2016

"Global Travel Shield"= JOKE!

waste of money! do not bother w them!
    they will find a reason why you aren't covered. read all the reviews against them. Be smart and save yourself the money. u are better off w out any ins than throwing it down the drain.

SCAM.