Global Maxfin Financial / Scam lottery winner

1 Nashville, TN, United States Review updated:

Company sends fake check, claiming part payment of $250.000 lottery win; then requests recipient to WIRE $3450 to them. Sent under name of Laura Robert with instructions to contact Larry Robert, [protected] to arrange transfer. What a joke!

Mp

More Global Maxfin Financial Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Kn
      9th of May, 2009

I also received this scam letter from Global Maxfin Financial in the mail today with a check from the First National Bank of Greenville, Pennsylvania for $4920.00. I went to the bank's website and called the toll free number for the bank's automatic information system on the phone. It gave me the option to check funds available for a check number from the account on the bottom of the check I had received. I didn't expect this check to be valid, but it is! A recorded voice system from the bank verified there are funds available to cover this check. I am calling an officer at the bank in the morning to tell them I received this check and the scam letter and then reporting it to the Postmaster General and the Sheriff's Dept. or FBI.

• Mp
      9th of May, 2009

These scammers made a large deposit at the bank you called using a check drawn on a non-US bank...probably the Bank of Canado or other large bank. It too was a fake check, but such checks can take weeks or more to clear. It will ultimately be returned to the Pennsylvania bank as a forgery, or invalid check. Meanwhile, the "automated" system is telling you what funds have been deposited - but not necessarily cleared! If you were to deposit the $4900 check you received into YOUR Pennsylvania account, you would not be able to withdraw the funds until the check cleared, which wouldn't happen until the check the scamsters deposited cleared...which ain't gonna happen! Geez, how many people can win a lottery they don't enter??? But these scamsters are pretty sharp!

• Si
      28th of May, 2009

I received my check in the mail today. $4, 920.00. This letter says that there was a drawing held on March 3rd of this year and was organized in conjunction with the North American Sweepstakes for all the customers of the major retail stores in the US and Canada, e.g. Kmart, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Kruger, Home Depot etc. The check sure looks real. My letter said to contact Jennifer or Dom Watson at 647-219-9077, and is signed Laura Robert, Vice President. I did try calling the number, but each time it rang off the wall.

My mother always taught me if things appear to good to be true, it probably is. I plan in calling the bank in the morning.

• Si
      28th of May, 2009

Ok, I've been reading more comments about this and I'm trying to figure out what this company has to gain by doing this. If you deposit it and spend the money before it ever clears, and then end up owing all of it back, the only one that suffers is you. But, this company pays for postage, paper, ink, and time to do all this. How are they benefiting? What is their purpose?

• Gu
      4th of Jun, 2009

I received this same mailing this morning and I think they benefit in this way:
    The check you received is real, but it will eventually bounce. You deposit the check, thinking, "Hey, they sent me $4920, but they only want $3980 back in taxes. Even if it's a scam, I'm still up almost a grand!" But then the deposit you made bounces (even if the cash is in their account, they can clear out that account or their deposit was made with a fake check, too, as mentioned in a previous post) and you're out the $3980 they just made by scamming you AND you don't get the $4920.

I could've been taken in by this, because the check looks real and seems authentic. I could definitely take it to my bank and deposit it. But I've received enough scam mail by now that my first stop after opening the envelope was to Google "Global Maxfin scam" and see what popped up. Glad I did.

• Mw
      4th of Jun, 2009

silk31465,
    What they gain is your money - they hope. If you deposit their bogus check, thinking it's real, then wire them the $3450, they get your money, and you're out $3450 when their check to you bounces!

So don't wire any money!! :)

• Wy
      6th of Jun, 2009

For once I got on the computer and researched...I too have been burnt by a couple of scammers in the past year, not by a company such as this though. Glad I did my checking. Makes sense though, what you all are saying! Thanks for taking the time to let everyone else know what NOT to do!

• Ld
      7th of Jul, 2009

I received a check today the same as silk31405. I called the number and got a woman named Jennifer Moore. This is an American name, this woman was not American. I looked up this place and got this web site while I was on the phone with her. I told her what it said. She denied it was true. I told her she needed to send me legal documentation to prove that. She said she would send out the package to me right away. I bet that never comes.

L.D.

• Ex
      11th of Jul, 2009

I got the check in the mail yesterday however instead of puting it throught my account. I just have to wonder why no one has not thought to take the check to the nearest Citibank for verification yet and then cash it against the account it is drawn on!!!?

• Ce
      16th of Jul, 2009

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

I received my letter todaystating i won $5500.00 my check was for the amount of $3920.00.. I have to admit this sounded great and could i sure use this...how sad i knew it was too good to be true but their are millions of people who are holding on to last hope and send these dirtbags all they have.

20th of Jul, 2009

I believe the check is authentic. It sounds like one can verify that the funds are in the bank that the check is drawn upon. However, what happens to someone who is too trusting is if they don't want to wait for the check to clear and are anxious to see their lump sum winning and they have the $3, 980 in their own account he/she may be willing to wire it through Western Union for Global to pay the 'taxes' on the 'winnings'. When Global receives the money they stop payment on the check and are ahead of the game with $3, 980 of the victim's money.

The check I received was issued by the Bridgefield Insurance Company with a post office box address in Lakeland, Fl drawn from a Suntrust Bank account in Tampa, FL.

I spoke with 'Dom Watson' he just gave me the instructions to deposit the check. If I won so much money his lack of warmth and friendliness for my good fortune did not come out at all.

21st of Jul, 2009

"WISH I WOULD HAVE VISITED THIS SITE"
    I too recieved this letter stating "final notice of unclaimed winning" an i was in shock that there was a real looking check for $4, 920 so i called "dom watson"an he told me to deposit the money into my account, so not really doing too much thinking i did, an my bank put a hold on the check but i didnt touch the money just incase of something fishy happening, AND I DIDNT WIRE ANY MONEY, then i got a call from my bank 4 days later saying i had an alert on my account an they were CLOSING it, i plead my case an there is nothing i can do! and i can not go to any other bank for at least 5 years! thanks to these ###!! so if you get this "SCAM" :THROW IT OUT!!!

21st of Jul, 2009

• Te
      2nd of Aug, 2009

I can echo everything that has been said. I plan to tell the bank, the authorities, and anyone who will listen about this scam. However, I also want to find out how these scammers got my name and address in the first place. The Canada stamps seemed to be the only clue, but then I noticed someone mentioned Suntrust in a post. We recently refinanced our loan and paid off Suntrust. I suspect maybe they sold my information to these people. The Canada thing though also could be a factor. The only recent dealings I have had with Canada were 1) a family trip to Italy was arranged through a Canadian company, and 2) bought some text messages in bulk from a Canadian company to use while we were in Italy.

Can anyone else figure out how their names/addresses were targeted?? (I guess that's what the FBI is for, huh?)

• Ih
      19th of Aug, 2009

I GOT THIS LETTER ABOUT A MONTH AGO SAYING I HAD WON $250, 000.00 AND ALL I HAD TO DO WAS DEPOSIT THIS CHECK OF $4, 920.00, WELL I DID, THE CHECK DIDN'T CLEAR, BUT THEY ALMOST CLOSED MY ACCOUNT FOR IT. I DIDN'T SEND THEM ANY MONEY BACK, BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE THEM STOPPED, IT REALLY SEEMS LIKE THEY ARE SCAMMING A LOT OF PEOPLE, AND ONE PERSON I READ ABOUT RECIEVED IT TWICE. WHAT IS THERE TO DO WHEN ALL OF THEIR INFORMATION IS FAKE, I AM AFRAID REALLY OLD PEOPLE OR REALLY YOUNG PEOPLE WILL BE THE ONES GETTING SCAMMED!