Giant.co.uk / Failure to refund deposit for items they did not supply

204 Imperial DriveMiddlesex, England, Greater London, United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 00393665398727

We paid a deposit for a set of taps 18/03/2008 and Mauro Malavasi was unable to supply these taps and is refusing to refund the money he is illegally witholding - Giant.co.uk refuse to return any calls or emails

Comments

Lu
  27th of Mar, 2009
The Lavabo Bathroom Company ran into severe financial difficulties last year, eventually resulting in bankruptcy and an abrupt closedown. These difficulties resulted in problems with fulfilling the orders for many clients, and the seizure of goods by various suppliers. Some of the remaining assets of the company were purchased by a small group of architects in Italy, and we have now re-activated it, with new changes that will make ensure past mistakes do not re-occur. For example, the payment currency has been changed, and a credit card payment option installed in order to protect future clients and their orders. While there still exist many problems from the failed company, we are not in a position to comment directly on this particular complaint, as we cannot trace this client. However, we find this complaint strange as we understand the monies had been refunded at the beginning of this year. It is as shame that this Complaints Board does not take the trouble to verify statements before they are placed online, for the sole purpose of damaging companies.

Luigi Soru
lavabo
Ni
  21st of May, 2009
I am in a similiar situation: I ordered a Vola KV1 kitchen tap, quoted at 437, 40 € including shipping to france, on February the 18th 2009 and paid a 218, 70 € deposit. Having no updates on my order I tried to reach lavabo by phone several times without success. I sent them an email on the 4th of march for which i finally got an answer the 18th of april (more than a month later !). Here is the mail that I received :

Dear M. Portnoi,
Please accept our apologies for the late reply – we encountered a pricing issue with regard to the Vola KV1 kitchen tap you ordered, and have tried to resolve it prior to getting back to you. About 3 weeks into the order, we were advised by our suppliers that all our online Vola prices are out of date. On receiving the current pricing, and contacting other suppliers, the best price for the Vola KV1 is €750.00 including shipping to France. We have tried to find a price compatible to what was quoted to you, but have been unsuccessful. We regret having to send you this information, but would like to assure that this is not an attempt to increase the price by a backhand manner – we feature so many products on many websites, and frequently fall out of sync with prices increase from the respective manufacturers.
If you are not willing to accept the price, we will refund the order deposit payment you made.
Our apologies once again.
Alfredo Costa
lavabo

I find that increasing the price of an item after the order has been made is completely inacceptable. Further more, the price of the tap has not been changed on the lavabo website, which makes me very skeptical about the honesty of this merchant. Therefore I asked for the refund of my deposit which I have not receive at this date (may the 21th 2009).
Ma
  25th of May, 2011

Giant.co.uk - Undelivered goods
Lavabo trading as Giant
London
United Kingdom

I ordered a black toilet from Giant.co.uk by Ceramica Esedra. The toilet arrived, but it was the wrong finish (a weird matt finish) instead of shiny, and did not have a toilet seat. When I complained, I was told that a seat would be sent to me. This was 10 November 2010. Today is 25 May 2011 and I still don't have a toilet seat. I have sent Giant about 20 e-mails, and none of them have been replied.

To make matters worse, this is an odd-shaped toilet that would only take a specific Ceramica Esedra black seat. The said company does not retail in the UK and I am stuck with a toilet without a seat. I am going to have to replace the toilet altogether, which cost me £600.