Giant Bicycles / Giving Singapore a bad name

1 VBox 888059Singapore Review updated:
Phone: 65 90512725

On Oct 18th, about 5:00pm, my friend went alongwith me to Giant Bicycles 01-46 J.West Ave 1 to purchase my very first bike.

I spent sometime checking all the styles available and when I finally I narrowed down to a specific type, I noticed that the bike had many scratches. I asked the guy who seems to be in charge and he said that it might take until Monday to order for a new body, and that he would give me a new chair instead for the same bike. I told him that I cannot buy a scratched bike and so after about 5mins of discussion, he ordered his wife to take stock from inside (apparently there is one more which is perfectly okay).

When this was brought down, my friend tried the gears/speed, and when he noticed that speed 5 wasn't working, he informed the guy whom fixed the gear but is already impatient about it. The guy kept on saying that speed 5 is usually barely used anyhow, no one would notice if it doesn't work, so to that my friend retorted that of course we need things working before anything is considered to be bought. Then the guy began shouting, "CANNOT SEE BY HAND, MUST CYCLE, MUST CYCLE!" (as my friend was using his hand to rotate the pedals). So he tried it on, but after about 3 meters, he figured I should try the bike since it is for me. So I rode it and I was having a hard time with the pedals, and my friend concluded that the bike seems too small for me. So we told them about it and asked for another, and they started screaming at us, telling us that this is not how it works in Singapore; that we cannot test a bike then decide not to take it. The guy began to scream even at people passing by, telling them to confirm with us that this is not how it is in Singapore and the people were stopping to see the commotion but of course, would not agree with this condescension.

This is the most awful experience I've ever had in Singapore and I would not like him to continue doing this to anyone else; not to me, not to any more of his customers; not even to his wife, whom he kept on shouting at for orders as well. If she won't stand up for herself, I will. This has got to stop.

Cc

Comments

• Bi
      11th of Jun, 2009

Well, that is the way singaporean customer service is.

in Taiwan you can test a bike before deciding to buy it or not. :-)

• We
      12th of Jun, 2009

the bike shop is it at jurong west infront of the cc?

• Pi
      6th of Nov, 2009

I had bad experience with the guy as well. Went there once, looking for hybrid bike. Obviously, he never heard of it, so he replied to me that there is no such kind of bicycle that is called hybrid. Then, the strange part started: he started to laugh at me to passers-bys. Do not know what was in his mind. Maybe he wanted to trun his ignorance into my foolishness?

At same time, another guy was looking for a bike. The guy kept asking him to pay first, telling him that after that he can start trying it. Quite weird business concept.

• Me
      12th of Nov, 2009

I know this guy as I live nearby. Very rude and sarcastic guy. Wanted to buy a flat pedal and he showed me a few cheap ones and when I asked him for higher end ones he said 'aiyah..those pedals are very expensive lah...' sarcastically as though I couldn't afford one. As I need a pedal badly to go riding with my friends that night and no other bike shops in the vicinity, I had to tolerate this idiot. I told him ' I didn't ask you for the price, I asked you to show me and I have the money'. Got the pedals, paid the idiot and left the shop and will never ever go back to the shop again. My friend wanted to buy a bike there but changed his mind as this idiot didn't even want to bring the bike down from the rack to let him see.

PLEASE DO NOT PATRONISE THIS SHOP...LET HIM SIT THERE AND ROT!!!

• Wi
      24th of Feb, 2010

I agree totally...
    I may not live in the west.. (i stay in the east, near geylang)

There two bicycle shops in my vicinty and both of them really are a world of difference.
    The bicycle shop nearest to my house is and will always be my last resort (Run by two brothers, one isn't that bad, the other is a total pain in the butt)

I sent my 10yr old bicycle for a complete overhaul as i wanted to use it more often. (almost all mechanical parts weren't working properly except for the brakes, thank goodness)
    I was aware of the costs involved and i knew it would be as expensive as a new bike with better specs.
    But this has sentimental value, even if it would cost more, i'm more than willing to pay.

The two uncles run a business with jacked up prices (they tried to sell me parts which easily cost half the amount at any other shop) and one of them told me what i was doing was wrong.
    He said in mandarin, "You are wrong, so what if this bike may have sentimental value, there is nothing special about it, you should just trade in with a newer model. Whatever you do, you are wrong."
    I already paid half the money and half the work was done and there he was telling the customer "Whatever you do, you are wrong". What planet does he live on, i bet he never heard the customer is always right.

No wonder a bicycle shop/parts supplier in bugis area says he doesn't deal with that shop because they are too proud and they think they know so much. The supplier recommended me the shop further away and i have been patronising this other shop ever since.

• 5o
      21st of Apr, 2011

BAD SERVICE BAD ATTITUDE BAD EXPERIENCE!!!
    (GIANT BICYCLE HUA HIN BICYCLE SHOP. Block 492, Jurong West St 41, #01-46, Singapore 640492)

july 2010,
    I bought a 2nd foldable bike from this shop thinking the first one I got was decent. When me and my bf went down to get it he doesn't have the bike instore so he went back home to get because we insist on getting the same one. He returned with the bike and so we bought it because we didn't wanna waste his effort. But everytime we rode on the bike its abit unstable wobbly so we went back to ask the uncle about it. He then said Ohh the body frame is faulty then we asked if hes got a solution and he replied "oh you are so late the supplier came last week and you could have exchange it". Then nvm I said please let me know or can you contact the supplier for the exchange because its very dangerous to ride. Then he suggest to lock down the bike but I didn't get a foldable bike not able to fold right. Then he said come back next week, then 2 weeks, then 1 month, few months then i said i leave my number please contact me once you get hold of the supplier.

NO CALLS ever.. i have to keep calling from almost every few months and no news. All his repeatly excuses is "you should have came earlier.. iyahh now what to do".. everytime i called or went down to check on the status hes getting more and more impatient and will keep raising his voice. very bad attitude, will make sarcastic remarks about this situation to any passerbys..

I keep calling the bicycle supplier from time to time but everytime she keep giving me empty promises.. and till today no news. either she is overseas or yah the bike is coming but she never even asked for my name or address how is she gonna deliver the bike to me?.. so strange and irresponsible.

I went down last night to the bicycle shop..and ask the uncle how? he said the supplier is probably not coming, and said if i wan i can bring down my bike the only way is to lock it and he will see what he can do... but when i tried to reason with him he keep raising his voice...I can only blame it on my luck. Never recommend anybody to his shop ever...Its almost a year and my bike is collecting dust in my house..

24th of Sep, 2013

I purchased fish which was on hot buy deal. The next day I made curry, me & my husband ate the curry for dinner . The whole night we had problem sleeping as the stomach was upset. The next day we both had to take off & take medication. We both felt the fish was packed a month ago & it was old stock . Pls do not buy food products from Giant they are cheats