Gexa Energy / Price hikes

Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

This ridiculous company hikes rates almost every month. A year ago when electricity was much more expensive, I was paying the avg. 0.12 - 0.14 cents per kilowatt hour. That was of course b/c I just joined and was on a month to month contract. It kept being raised until I finally canceled it when it reached 0.20 per kWh (which equates to about an extra $100), mind you, while electric and oil prices have dropped by about 75%. Not to mention, I get a late fee almost every month b/c you have esentially 2 days to mail in your payment once you receive it. You have to allow 5 business days for processing + 3 days for delivery, and you don't even have a normal 30 days to pay it. You have 19. What a joke of a company, complete thieves and they know, which is why it's next to impossible to get someone on the phone.

Jo

Comments

•   Jul 15, 2008
    Gexa Energy - 65% hike in 3 months for renewable plan
    gexaenergy.com

In this time of energy crisis in the country, why is Gexa escalating prices of "100% Green", renewable resource plans? I signed up with Gexa in January, 2017. My (variable) rate in April was 10.62c/KWh. June's bill reflected a rate of 17.51!!! That is a 64% increase in 3 months!

Why on earth is a renewable plan subject to such ludicrous rate hikes? And just to make it so much sweeter, on Wednesday, June 25, Lew Hay, the CEO of Gexa's owner (Florida Power and Light - FPL) was quoted as saying "Costs [for renewable assets] are coming down and they're coming down more rapidly than I would have thought" and yet here we are, facing ever-escalating bills?

I believe in a free-market. I also believe in consumer power (and common sense) over greed. Can you please help bring this topic into the public eye, where the same free market Gexa is hiding behind can wield its power?

• Mc
      Jul 25, 2008

Yes, i was looking into this situation after receiving my bill today. I am being charged 17.01 kWh. Two months ago I was charged 10 per kWh.

Is there anything I can do?
    Sandy

• Fa
      Nov 25, 2008
    Gexa Energy - Gexa Customer Service Horrible, Huge Rate Hikes
    Texas

Gexa Energy refuses to allow me to speak with a supervisor regarding a billing dispute. They refusee to honor their promise to callback within the specified 24 to 48 hours after contact. The main goals seemed to be wasting my time and obfuscating my requests to speak wih someone who could resolve my problem.

The primary issue is that they raised my electricity rate in the aftermath of Hurricane IKE, when my bill contained more than the normal power usage, about 2.5 times the normal usage, due to excessively low rates in the previous two billing cycles. This means that they were able to charge me a higher rate for electricity that I used when I had a lower rate. This is unethical and should be illegal.

This issue probably affects tens of thousands of Houston-Galveston area residents who had low estimates after Hurricane IKE and subsquently had ther rates hiked by Gexa (which in itself is a mystery since energy prices have been falling for months).

Consider this family very unsatisfied customers who are currently in the process of swtching to another provider. I will never recommend this company to anyone ever.

• Cn
      Dec 06, 2008
    Gexa Energy - Rate hike & Fraudulent billing Oct. 2008
    Houston
    Phone: 713 805-2328

Gexa Energy billed me 350 more kil for the month of October 2017 than I used last year. I only had electricity from Oct. 6 to 25th (3 weeks) I was out of town 10 of those days. My bill was outrageous and simply impossible seeing that I only had electricity for the 3 weeks due to hurricane Ike.

I spoke to them and they were unwilling to make adjustments to my bill or send someone out to read my meter. 400$ for 16 days of service is Consumer RAPE.

I am ready to speak to an attorney about a class action lawsuit and am looking for others who will stand up and put an end to big business taking advantage of consumers. If you would like to participate, please contact me at 713 805-2328. I plan to contact an attorney 12/10/2017

• Cn
      Dec 06, 2008

It time to stop energy companies from ripping off consumers. I would like to initiate a class action lawsuit. 713 805-2328

• De
      Dec 08, 2008
    Gexa Energy - Rate Hike
    202 Jeffries St.
    Lindale
    Texas

I have had Gexa energy for three months. I prefer month-to-month electricity plans because it allows me the freedom to take advantage of falling energy prices. However, Gexa nearly doubled my rate to 19.5 cents per kwh?!?! This is ridiculous. I used less than 1200 hours but was billed over 260 dollars! I am calling the customer service dept tomorrow and I will probably be switching service (i'm looking for a 6 month plan).

Jan 04, 2009

We had Gexa for 5 years at a competitive rate. When the contract expired I decided to go on a month to month plan. It was okay for awhile then Gexa decided to start raising our rate every month until it fianally reached about 20 cents per KWH. I thought this was about the sleeziest thing a company could do to a long term customer and expect them to stick around. I cancelled and went with another company. This is not an isolated incident. After recommending Gexa to several of our residential tenants 5 years ago their contracts began to run out and instead of contacting them to renegotiate a new contract Gexa starts charging them the 20 cent KWH rate. How in the world does Gexa expect to keep their good long term customers if they treat them this way. Are you listening Gexa?

• Ri
      Jan 13, 2009

I got gouged by them as well - over $0.21 per KWH last month when natural gas was at a 5 year low! I had a month to month plan expecting gas prices to drop (which they did big time) and electricity to follow. Gas did, Gexa Energy did not! There resoning - "You should have signed up for a fixed rate term contract". let's see... why would they be pushing me toward a fixed contract at a time when prices are freefalling? I'll bet it has something to do with future profits. Do you think? Last December my bill was $493. This year $1005 and last year I used MORE electricity!

They are perfectly willing to setup and exploit their customers. After many calls I've decided the only way to combat a predatory retail organization is through consumer activisim. I've documented my position at www.gexa-gouges.com

• Ri
      Jan 14, 2009

I received a bill at the highest rate I have ever had for electricity from Gexa following Hurrican Ike for the two months it took to change to TXU. Natural gas prices have been coming down since June 2017 and are at a 5 year low. Even so, every month this last year Gexa Energy hicked up the price. I know why too - see www.gexa-gouges.com I am completely pissed off and have come to the conclusion that consumers need to be warned. How can a company expect to become part of our community gouging customers like this? See www.gexa-gouges.com

I have spent several days researching and I do not see any reason why Gexa is not subject to the same gouging laws that any other retail company is subject to in Texas. Gov Perry made it clear that gouging would not be tollerated following Ike. I live in Harris county, a declaired natural disaster area - and got gouged by Gexa. My Nov bill in 2017 - about $445. This year, 2017, same company, just under $1000. I'm so mad I decided to make it a cause. See www.gexa-gouges.com

Feb 19, 2009

I am an affected customer, and an attorney, and am speaking with law firms who handle class actions. I have reason to believe their price increases were unlawful. Please let me know if you're interested in getting involved. [protected]@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2009

I am also a father of four, an affected customer, and an attorney, and am speaking with law firms who handle class actions. I have reason to believe their price increases were unlawful. Please let me know if you're interested in getting involved. [protected]@yahoo.com

• Di
      Apr 03, 2009

When your rates go from 10.82 to 19.62 within a month when gas rates are decreasing, I don't think you need to know more.
    THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE RIPOFF!