Gexa Energy / Price Gouging

1 14911 Wwunderlich #1309Houston, United States Review updated:
Phone: 832-446-6349

I have been price gouged by Gexa Energy. I received my most monthly recent electric bill from Gexa to the tune of $789.77 . I live in a 1600 square foot, 2 bedroom condo. Bear in mind that this bill does include $60.46 worth on disconnection and reconnection fees from the month before when I paid my bill online and paid what was showing as current charges. When I called about this they told me that I had underpid my bill by $.50. FIFTY Cents.???? I asked how that could be possible since I paid online and paid what was showing as current charges. They received my payment over a week before dis-connecting my power. They said it was done becuase they had mailed a dis-connection notice and I underpaid by the fifty cents mentioned above. WHAT A SCAM!! They did come and reconnect the power the same day, hence the $60.46 in the disconnect and reconnect charges.
Now to the $789.00 current bill. Take away the $60.46 charges and I'm looking at $729.31 in a one month electric bill. I called to check on why this was so very high. Prior two month bills were $477.00 and 471.00. and some change. When I called to find out why the bill was so high the representative told me that we would have to have the meter read at a charge to me of $6.00. I agreed since I couldn't imagine why the bill would have increased so much. At this time the representative told me that my contract had expired and my rate could go up. GO UP??? To what, pray tell?? Then she informed that she could lock me into a much lower rate if I agree to another 6 month or annual contract. i agreed to a new annual contract.

Now here is where it gets good. I was informed via email that the meter reading was corrrect and that the $789.77 bill was valid and needed to be paid right away. I then received another email from a rpresentative asking me to contact him to make payment arrangements on my now past due account. When I called him this is when I found out . The reason the bill was so high was because since my contact expired they raised my rate from 11 something to 13 something per kWh. Evidently I didn't notice that increase so they raised it again to 14 somthing per kWh. Again I didn't notice that increase. So now they're thinking...We got away with the phony fifty cent underpayment and disconnection scam and the rate hikes...Let's really go for the kill. They arbitrarily rased my rate to 21.3 kWh resulting in the $789.77 one month electric bill for a 1600 square foot condo. The service representative on the phone, Gerard went on to inform me that I could agree to a new contract and lower that rate. I informed him that I had done so when I had asked for the meter to be read a week to to 10 days prior. Although the lady I spoke to that day neglected to tell me that they had aleady raised my rate from 14 something per kWh to the 21.3 and that was why the bill was so high. I agreed to have the meter read and agreed to a nwe annual contract. What a sucker!! I then asked for soem type of payment arrangement asking to pay this outrageous $789.77payment over a few months time. Gerard informed me that the lady I spoke before to to have the meter read was the one I had to make payment arrangements with. Now that they had issued a disconnection order for March 5th, there was really nothing he could do. I explained that I asked the lady I previously spoke to about that very thing, a payment plan in the event that the bill was correct, and she stated that we could not make the arrangements until we know if the bill was correct. Made sense to me at the time. So Gerard then graciously agreed to let me pay half the bill today 2/27/09 aand as long as the remaining balance was paid by March 5th before 2:00 they will not disconnect my power. Again I say...WHAT A SCAM. THEY ARE COMMITTING HIGHWAY ROBBERY AND HOLDING CUSTOMERS HOSTAGE. Thank you Gerard and Gexa. I don't know how you can sleep at night.

Comments

• Ri
      3rd of Apr, 2009

See www.gexa-gouges.com. There have been lots and lots of people gouged by these crooks. Crooks is the nicest word I have for these jerks. Did you know their CFO was one of the top guys at Enron? Enron chapter 2!

• Do
      13th of May, 2009

I strongly disagree. I have been with GEXA for some time now. And one thing we all must remember is that every company has complaints. If you type any one of their names in this site you will see that to be true. It appears the rep you spoke with was just trying to do his job and did offer you help even if you feel it wasn't completely what you wanted. But remember even with that, any employee can only do so much, they still have to get it approved by their superiors and follow company procedures or they lose their job. I know its embarrassing to be called out on past due billing or other problems but that rep is not a customer service representative but a collections rep, I know because he called me. However he did his job in a professional manner and did what he could to help me. In fact once we took care of my outstanding invoices he offered to transfer me to a customer service rep to lower my rate for future billings. So he in fact saved me money instead of wanting to see me pay more. Even though he was a collections rep, he still went above and beyond and offered me great service and options how to lower my rate. I'm very happy with GEXA.