Gexa Energy / Billing, Customer Service

Corpus Christi, TX, United States Review updated:
First, please, please, please do not switch to Gexa Energy!! Yes, they may appear to have some of the lowest rates. But I assure you, they will double their rates, and charge you excessive fees. Google Gexa Energy and you'll see that it is a common practice for Gexa to scam their customers. Here's my complaints:

In July, my fiancé switched our service with Gexa to a new house. He paid extra to have the expedited service, as we were moving with short notice. Upon moving into our new house, our electricity was never connected. My fiancé called several times over the course of two long and hot days. Each time, he sat on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes, and every representative told him something different. Our electricity was finally connected, and after speaking with a Gexa supervisor, we were told that we would not be charged for the expedited connection fee.

In August, I received the first bill from Gexa, and of course, we were charged for the expedited connection fee. I immediately called customer service, and waited on hold for nearly 40 minutes. The representative said that we were indeed entitled to a credit. He said he was resubmitting the bill, and we would receive an “out of cycle” bill with the credit. He told us not to pay our bill until we received this out of cycle bill within 5 days.

The out of cycle bill never came. A few weeks later, my fiancé received an automated message on his phone from Gexa. I called customer service, and was told that the request to resubmit our bill was denied, and thus our payment was late. We would not receive our credit for the expedited service that was in fact not expedited. On top of that, we were now responsible for a late fee. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and so I sat on hold for 35 minutes. Finally, the representative came back on and told me that he could not get a hold of the supervisor my fiancé originally spoke to. I said I didn’t care, and that I simply wanted to speak to any supervisor. He said that wasn’t possible because only this particular supervisor had access to our account information. Obviously he was lying because he had just accessed my account information.

I hung up, and called back in an attempt to speak to a competent person. Needless to say, it was the same thing all over again, and I was connected to a representative who couldn’t connect me to a supervisor. This representative (James) did, however, connect me to Ashley at the Escalations Department. Ashley said she was resubmitting the bill so that we wouldn’t be charged for the connection fee. Ashley assured me that the request would not be denied this time, and she gave me her “direct number” [protected]). Two days later, my fiancé received yet another message from Gexa saying that our service was going to be disconnected in 24 hours. I immediately called Ashley, only to find out that the “direct number” was simply the automated employee directory.

So once again, I sat on hold. Nothing was accomplished. I have to pay for an expedited connection fee that wasn’t connected on time, as well as a late fee for a bill I was told not to pay. Furthermore, I have a feeling that I will not have electricity tomorrow. And to top it off, my bill from July-August was 14kWh, and my August-September bill skyrocketed to 19.54kWh.

My complaint was long, but hopefully it will persuade someone out there NOT to use Gexa Energy!!!
Ka

Comments

Ri
  3rd of Apr, 2009
See www.gexa-gouges.com. There have been lots and lots of people gouged by these crooks. Crooks is the nicest word I have for these jerks. Did you know their CFO was one of the top guys at Enron? They learned how to get rich quick from the University of Enron!

What they do is give a competitive short term (6 or 12 month) contract rate. You miss the end of the contract term so they flip you to their "month-to-month" rate - without any notice of any kind. By the time you finally notice, they've hit you with several months that are double your previous rate. When you call, they reccomend a "meter read" that is done by Center Point. That gives them another month at the gouging rate. Then they take their time updating you about the results, so by the time you change to another vendor or plan, you have paid 3, 4, or 5 months at a gouging ripeoff rate.

Check out "Gexa Energy Savings". Let's use easy numbers and the same amount of power each month. Your contract rate was $0.11 per KWH and your normal bill is $220.00 a month for 2000 KWH. Your contract is for 6 or 12 months. Since you have auto pay you miss the date when your contract ends. (You may have assumed you would be contracted or the rate would be similar at contracts end. NOT!)

Since they don't notifiy you in any way, it takes about 3-4 months before you notice the gouge and your power is being billed at $0.21 or more per KWH. So you get 3 bills that are $420, or each about $200 more than the contract rate. So if they gouge for 3 months, that's about $600 extra bucks they gouge you for. If you had a 6 month contract plus 3 months gouge, that is an effective rate of $0.144 for the 9 months.

You just thought you had a competive rate of $0.11! They just made their fat profit on the other end of the contract and the Texas PUC lets them get away with it! Throw in a few disconnect fees because their billing system and now you really have a cash cow - your cash, their cow!

Gexa Energy Logo Gexa Energy