Georgia Powerbilling process

J Jun 16, 2017

First let me say, that the people answering the phones were both extremely polite and treated me well. I would not want to be in there position considering the policies they are forced to enforce.

I received a letter in the mail stating was I was being charged $30 for a failed payment due to an incorrect account number. After talking to 2 people we realized that the banking account number that the payment was attempted on was missing the last 5 digits of my account which I had entered online. I was setting up a $10 payment on a new checking account and I wanted to verify it worked before I made a full payment on a bill. I don't know if this issue was something I entered incorrectly or if it was an issue on Georgia Power's side, but I was told that Georgia Power had credited too many accounts and they no longer could waive the $30 fee. Apparently GA Power is losing money since they have to send out mailers to people to notify them of a failed payment so they no longer make an exception unless it is identified as a Georgia Power or bank issue. So the .50 mailer costs me $30. What makes the matter even worse, I had not received my new bill and my account had a NEGATIVE balance due of $159 just 2 days earlier.

The issue could have been something as simple as me accidentally hitting the num lock key to turn it off or something on GA Power's side, but regardless of how it happened I am charged $30 with no course of action to take. I can't go to another power company, I was told the only manager of a supervisor I spoke to would do is verify it was explained to me. I can't not pay the $30 fee because I will then be charged late fees.

I feel sorry for the customer service people that have to work for a company like this. They were both very understanding and said they would not want to be charge either based on what happened but they could not do anything about it. GA Power does a great job keeping the service on and restoring it quickly when it goes out, but their business office and practices are terrible. They push the task of telling a customer "NO" to the front line and have no flexibility.