Georgia Power A Southern Company / unauthorized charges

Georgia Power A Southern Company
241 Ralph McGill Boulevard NE
Phone: 888-660-5890
Since the moment my family and I moved into our apartment in Norcross, GA we've been having GA Power bills in the amount of $250 plus dollars monthly. We couldn't possibly be using that much electricity each month, we have 2 televisions, a computer and regular appliances. After calling GA Power about 10 times to complain, they finally agreed to send a meter reader back out to read the meter.

To our surprise we get a notice the next day that the meter reading is correct, How could two adults who both work over 40 hours per week accumulate a power bill of over $250 each month!

GA Power is stealing money from my family and I am sure that we are not the first family that this has happened to, the customer service reps are nasty when you call to try to get some type of explanation as to the reason the bill is this ridiculous amount.

I will continue to do ALL in my power to get my money back from these crooks! I urge anyone else who this has happened to to file a report as well, I filed one with the BBB also.

A  19th of Oct, 2009 by
This summer, my electric bill went from about $80-100 a month to $190-280 a month. The only difference was a room air conditioner was now running. It gets better though, in August I shut the AC off. The AC has not been on since, yet my bill has not gone down at all.

First off, an energy efficient room AC should not cost $90 to $200 a month to run. Second, why hasn't the bill gone back down since the AC has now been off for 2 and a half months?

I think you're onto something with your complaint. Something definitely is not right here.
A  29th of Oct, 2009 by
GA Power came back after 6 months of billing and said that they were only "estimates" and billed me an extra $800.00 all onto the next month's bill!!! I called to complain and said there's nothing they can do and that the balance had to be paid to avoid disconnection!! Plus, they added fees/ late charges & interest from those 6 months!!! Now, (October) they say the readings are actual, not estimates, so I am back to the mid $100's as my "estimates" were!! Who can help??
N  9th of Nov, 2009 by
Georgia Power has been sending me abnormally high power bills. I lived in little more than a shack with no heating, no one was home doing the day yet there were these high bills. Every time I got the bill down I was hit with a "Deposit" to get the bill back up. They finally disconnected my services and demanded $500.00 by the end of the day to turn the power back on. I had the money put aside to move to better housing but was forced to hand the money over to them. My son has asthma and it was winter. The next month I got a zero bill. I called them, they said the prior bill was a mistake but they would keep the 500.00 for future bills!! I called the PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION to report them. Nothing was done and they got to keep my money. Oh it gets better, or worst. I discovered they had added three to four 50.oo deposits to my bills instead of the two I knew about. When I finally moved of course I didn't get a dime of my deposits back as claimed. Now with a new account guess what? They are doing the same thing again. Recently I was hit with a one hundred dollar deposit after finally getting the bill down, out of my reach again. Public Service says this is legal even though your service hasn't been disconnected. I am low income, this time around I may have to let them turn the power off. I don't have four hundred dollars to give them. Agencies won't help us. Something needs to be done. Our stories are similar.
A  15th of Dec, 2009 by
Georgia Power's new scam is to disconnect service at the pole so they can stick you with a $120 fee rather than the normal $50 fee. They also take another $100 or so and put it in escrow that you can not access. I have been with them for over 10 years and now have about 1K in escrow (power got cut a few times over the years :) )

I just do not find it fair that they can willy nilly take your money and especially from those who do not have it. Your options are no power or pay. I hope to god another utility company comes to the rescue soon. My power bill was over 800 a month this summer -- I aksed about the meter being off and they said it wasn't.

How can one fight these people?
A  5th of Sep, 2012 by
My mother receives a fixed income from Social Security and SSI. This is her only income. Since Georgia Power put in the Smart Meter, she has been being charged monthly bills between $280 and $320 every month. (Georgia Power had hyped this "Smart Meter" as being a way to decrease rates due to less labor being needed.) Now, this past month, on top of all that, they charged her an extra $120 deposit to the already outrageously high bill. She went into the office and they told her this was a new "company-wide policy". Anyone who does not pay the bill on the due date, which is around the 23rd, will be charged an extra $120 each month. My mother gets her income on the 1st and the 3rd, and cannot pay before then. She has been paying on the 1st for years with no problems before now. She cannot afford this extra each month. The personnel at the office told her that she shouldn't worry, that she wasn't the only one going through this, and that most of their elderly patrons will be having to do this. It seems to me that Georgia Power has become a company that is little more than a thief, and now they have targeted the elderly and disabled as so many scam artists and thieves do. And on top of all this, she was not given her $14+ elderly credit off the bill, which should have started in August. No wonder more and more people are going solar if they can scrape up the thousands it takes to do so because in the long run, it'll be much cheaper than paying the monopolistic Georgia Power. We need another electric company option for people who live in the city limits of Georgia towns. We need the government to step in and stop these thieves from billing whatever and however they please.

Georgia Power Logo Georgia Power