General Motors2011 silverado engine knock

I purchased a 2011 Silver with 36, 600 miles, noticed a engine knock while it warmed up to running temp. called GM they said take it to dealer. Took it to Joseph Chevrolet Cincinnati, Ohio. They did a intake cleaning and said it was fixed.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Cincinnati, OH 1, 150 miles later it is back the same way. Called Todd again at GM 3 times now with no response. Buyer beware. GM does not back there products. The truck has the 5.3 L AFM motor. well maintained and never been abused or towed anything. Thanks GM for nothing.

General Motors

• Updated by trailrated, Feb 22, 2018

The first tech. and Joseph Chevrolet when I had the oil changed told me it was the infamous AFM lifter tick starting, likely the #1 and #7 lifters. cost around $2k to repair, that is why I contacted you in the first place. Great response SELL THE VECHILE. Is that what you tell all your customers if you do not want to help fix the problem.

• Updated by trailrated, Feb 23, 2018

Tr
Feb 21, 2018

Comments

• Sh
      Feb 21, 2018

Hi Trail.

Appreciated reading your concern.

Occasionally, while putting miles on a vehicle, you can run into problems. I can sure appreciate your concern about a sound you're not sure of.

Why not just return to the same dealer and have them check out again? Maybe there's something dirtying up the intake to create the problem.

Feb 22, 2018

@Shaun R. You responded, "I called dealer this morning, they said there was a TSB on that and it would cost another $125 to check it out, asked why it came back and he had no answer. I do not want to spend $125 every 1000 miles to stop the knock. What do you suggest I do.??? The truck has had oil changed every 3k miles with dexos 5 w 30 since new."

As it appears, you could (1) go back to this dealer and pay $150 to address the problem again, (2) address the issue with different service center and see if the solution is any different, (3) ignore the problem or, finally (4) sell the vehicle.

As what you do is completely up to you.

Feb 23, 2018

@Shaun R. Your response, "#4 would be great but if someone comes to look a truck and asks why I am selling so soon or hears the knock will be hard to sell. a well maintained 7 year old like new truck with 38k miles should not be knocking.

The first tech. and Joseph Chevrolet when I had the oil changed told me it was the infamous AFM lifter tick starting, likely the #1 and #7 lifters. cost around $2k to repair, that is why I contacted you in the first place. Great response SELL THE VECHILE (sic). Is that what you tell all your customers if you do not want to help fix the problem."

I'd like to assist, but it may not be without cost.

It sounds as if you've educated yourself enough to feel like you absolutely know what the problem, as well as the ultimate fix is.

Have you found (a) technician(s) that agree with you?

You stated that you expected it to cost somewhere around $2, 000 to replace these lifters. When purchasing the vehicle, did you purchase any additional warranty coverage should something like this happen?

Feb 23, 2018

You responded, "No I don't know what the actual problem is, I am going by what I was told by 2 dealer tech's 2 different things. How many tech's do I need to go to find the problem. I did not purchase a warranty because I had a 05 sierra with 90k on it with no problems. I see a lot of complaints on this website about engine problems on these trucks and a lot more websites. If you know a master tech in my area that I can take it to, I will."

The first step is correctly diagnosing the problem. IF the lifters are going bad, I believe your cylinder compression will be low, along with the oil pressure. However, not being a mechanic, I'd rely on a service technician to explain that for sure. I'd have as many technicians look at the vehicle until your comfortable with a conscientious as to what the actual problem is. Once you're comfortable with the proper diagnoses, you should have a reasonable remedy for the problem. It's suggested that oil additives may help resolve the "tick" but if that is only masking the real problem, I wouldn't consider that the ultimate solution. I wouldn't begin to presume to send you to specific mechanics. I have certain mechanics I like within my area and trust them with the occasional problems we all face. I'd get to know the mechanics in your area and use the ones you feel most secure with.

Unfortunately many people want to assume there isn't ever going to be a problem with their vehicle and, therefore, don't worry about things like warranties. But that also means that when problems do arise, the cost of repair falls upon the consumer. IF that means $2, 000 to replace the lifters, although undesirable, I'd think it still worthwhile on such a nice truck with relatively low miles.

• Tr
      Mar 02, 2018

@Shaun R. Thanks.

• Ac
      Mar 01, 2018

How is GM responsible for engine knock noise on a vehicle with 38k mikes on it, that you bought used? I own a 1998 GM truck with a turbo diesel in it that has over 200k miles on it and has been flawless all that time. If it knocks tomorrow or fails to start is that somehow to be blamed on GM as well?

Do yourself a favor and look into the situation a bit more online. It's possible you can fix this yourself by addin a pint of automatic transmission oil to the engine oil, making a trip or two around the block and then doing an oil and filter change. Meanwhile quit whining.

• Tr
      Mar 02, 2018

@Acmeofsurprise I am not ADDIN what ever that means a qt. of trans. fluid from a shade tree mech. to my truck. GM 5.3 afm motors call for dexos oil only. This is a ongoing problem with the AFM motors. do some research. Thanks for your hillbilly advise.