GEMB / JCP / Fraudulent reports to credit reporting agencies!

Phone: 505-434-4062

Upon applying for a loan, I was advised by the financial institution that I had "derogatory results" on my credit reports. Specifically, GEMB/JCP, stating that an acct. that had been paid off in Dec 2002 and closed in Mar 2003 reflected an unpaid balance of $1861. I contacted the toll free number on the credit report and was told that the acct. number I gave " doesn't exist". After continuing to research the acct., miraculously, the acct. was reborn and my credit report reflected a "delinquent" status. Between July, 2007 and this date (Feb, 2008) I have communicated this error to no less than 13 different persons, including filing a complaint with thew Federal Trade Commission, and have received comments ranging from, "send a FAX with all info" (which was done Oct 3, 2007 and, per CSR, received Oct 6,2007), to "Credit Agencies will be contacted Oct 9, 2007", to FAX has been forwarded to the Monetary Adjustment Dept. and could take up to 60 days to complete and "Credit Agencies have not been contacted" Finally, I was forwarded to an individual who advised that, 1."the FAX was never received and, 2. there is no documentation that the acct. was ever paid-off". During this entire situation I continued to keep the FTC apprised of my "progress" and was told that, "in the future, send all written communication by certified mail." which is difficult to do when the only address you can get is a P.O. Box and no one will give a physical address to mail to, much less a responsible person to send the communication to.

Comments

• Da
      25th of Apr, 2008

This outfit is crooked and in my opinion has some type of arrangement with credit reporters, especially Experian, to flout the law and not provide proof of debts that they report.
    They will ignore certified letters asking for proof of the debt they report on your credit file and not give you names of who you talk to on the phone if you call them.
    That fact alone tells you they know something they are doing is not in accordance with federal law.
    Why do they not provide names of who it is there that says they refuse to send proof of the debt or who there says you must write another PO BOX to get proof of the debt?
    I have never heard of such weird statements by a Creditor.
    Contact the AG and your Congressman in your state and let them know how the Federal Law is being ignored by this outfit. Offer to testify in upcoming Congressional hearings about the abuses in this industry towards consumers. That WILL help you.

17th of May, 2008

I also have GEMB/JCP on my credit report, and now I am scared that I will not be able to remove it.
    Although mine is a small charge because I caught it right away (bout 100 bucks), I feel like this, and other fraudulent CCs opened under my name are hurting me.
    David- I did get a Experian report, and I was not sure what you meant that they have some sort of an arrangement with Experian and can just report whatever they want without proof. I hope thats not the case with Experian, because i have CC's opened under my name that I have no idea about, and when I call the company, Citi Bank for example, the have no idea of that account and have no info for it either. In such a case, how do I go about removing the information from my report? (All these fraud cards have balances of anywhere from $1000 to $5000 and upwards (there were about 4 cards) and a few other things. I never bothered to check this stuff as I'm just a college kid but recently when my one and only "good" card limit want down to NOTHING, I had to start doing some research! Seems like I've dug a hole that was not supposed to be messed with!

• La
      4th of Nov, 2008

If you have had fraudulent charges or new accounts opened since Oct 2007. GEMB lost some data tapes with account records. They did not publicly announce this data loss until Jan 08 and did not make a very good effort to notify account holders.

If you are having problems with unauthorized charges ect, since Oct 07, it is probably related to this data loss. GEMB does not resolve the problems they create for their customers unless you report them to the Office of Thrift Supervision

• La
      11th of Nov, 2008

GEMB cannot ignore complaints you send to the Office of Thrift Supervision.

They ignored my personal attempts to get them to fix the problems they created with my JCP account.

They did respond to my complaint to the Office Of Thrift Supervision.
    Removed account from Collections and fully re-instated it
    Removal of all negatives on Credit Reports
    Removal of all late fees and interest they padded my bill with.

STILL WAITING for proper validation of the "Gift Card" they claim I ordered on the website - They for some reason did not seem to think I needed to know who it was sent to.

So I sent OTS the letter I received and stated that GEMB still has not proven I authorized the charge and are continuing to withold pertinent information that would allow me to confirm it was sent to someone I actually know.

2nd of Mar, 2009

I too have a near perfect credit score except a GEMB/JCP showing account closed in 01/01 with an outstanding balance. I would like this off my report; I don't know what it is for.

• Co
      26th of Jun, 2009

I was recently denied a credit card because my credit score from Experian was too low because of a reporting from GEMB/JCP. I always had a high credit score until this happened. I do not have an outstanding balance with GEMB/JCP. They are a rip-off and I'm concerned that it's ruining my chances of getting approved for credit, not to mention the outstanding balance they say I owe, which I don't. I plan on getting this mess straightened out and then cancelling my credit card with JCPenney so hopefully this problem won't happen again.

• Jc
      3rd of Aug, 2009

I just want to know what GEMB stands for. It is hsowing up on a 19yr old's credit report with no phone number and only a P.O. box that you can not search out. Please help.

• Aa