Geeks by the Minute / overcharge w/o fixing problem

VA, United States Review updated:

While trying to solve a computer problem for me, Geeks by the Minutes billed me for at least 20 minutes of time during which I was waiting for a computer process to be completed (downloading). I was charged for 1 hour and 10 minutes and the problem was not fixed. I wrongly assumed that I would not be charge for down-load time, also wrongly assumed that "Geeks" was a trademark name but apparently anyone who thinks they can fix a computer can call themselves a "geek." My telephone complaint was answered rudely. My attempt to cancel payment was denied. Beware!
De

More Geeks by the Minute Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Au
  20th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I used to work for these people. I was instructed to use various call-lenghthening techniques to increase the cost of each call to the customer. When I suggested that we try to resolve issues as quickly as possible, as to increase customer loyalty and repeat business, I was told that the goal was to keep the customer on the phone as long as possible. I was also instructed to try and speak slowly, ask questions that required lengthy answers, engage the caller in personal conversations while working on their issue, so that the caller would be less likely to hang up.
I quit this company. I have been working as a Technical Support Rep for manyyears and this kind of money grab technique goes totally against all the customer support rules that I have used to successfully troubleshoot computer issues in the past. I felt that, if I continued to work for these people, I would lose my soul and any integrity I had. They will sometime do mystery calls to see if their techs are following their rip-off guideline or not. I got in trouble for not doing as they required. This kind of scam/fraud should be illegal.
Nc
  13th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I, too, like Austin Geek, had the same experience with these con artists and concur that what they do should be illegal. I've been in IT for nearly 30 years, most of it in Technical Support, and have never been involved with such a bunch of unethical people as these guys. I lasted 4 days and quit. I just couldn't live with myself anymore, and had to endure the same brow-beating Austin Geek took by my mentors as to why we shouldn't it included a 'script' of absolutley needless things to do to keep the customer on the phone as long as possible, right down to downloading "new and better" viruscan software. Hey, if someone likes McAfee or Norton LET THEM KEEP IT! If it's not part of their problem they called about, why even mention it? BTW, this "new and better" software was a 20-30 minute download/setup process from start to finish. These scams should be outlawed.
  8th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I don't know where Geeks have their call center now, but a few years back it was in a center in the Philippines. These posts smack of someone slandering the organization. NC Geek claims to have been in IT for nearly 30 years. In 30 years you haven't been able to advance past answering the phone at the help desk? Your either lying or the worst IT staff ever. I'm pretty sure if someone cared enough to investigate ... these posts have the same author.
Geeks may be the worst company ever, I'm certain they have many people out there upset with them. Residential computer support is the final frontier of support. Everyone wants to cash in, but nobody can figure out how to do it right.
Paying $100-$200 to fix a PC software issue isn't offensive. I charge $150 an hour but I don't do residential and I don't do PCs.
prOn geek
Nc
  30th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Dear 'notme someoneelse' -- this is NC Geek... you know the guy who "In 30 years you haven't been able to advance past answering the phone at the help desk?". Before YOU Slander someone, get the facts... after a 30+ year career in IT... from Mainframes to Web; from APL, COBOL, and FORTRAN, to SQL, VB, HTML, and JAVA... I RETIRED from IT last January and was looking forward to a nice little help desk gig to do in my spare time where I could use my knowledge to help "fix" problems. And BTW, these posts are not from the same guy, namely me. Both 'Austin Geek' and I have WORKED for this company. They are not gripes as much as warnings to others. I suggest you trying woking for these guys just to get the experience and you may come over to 'the dark side'.