Geeks By Minute / Running a ChkDsk utility for over an hour - when it was not needed.

1 ?, US Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-442-4335

Recently, I purchased a new computer and tried to upgrade from version 6 Internet Explorer to version 7 because of a "pop-up" recommendation from Microsoft. After I did the install, I lost all ability to connect to IE and called "Geeks By Minute". All I had from "Geeks" was a priority telephone number, since I had used their services in the past. The per-minute charge is $1.79 (reduced from $1.99). When the automated phone came on (loud and clear), I was asked to enter my credit card number.
Then the technician who came on afterwards was barely audible. I had to ask her several times to speak louder. I couldn't hear her, and was quickly becoming very nervous about being able to hear to follow instructions. She finally did turn a switch and then I could hear her. (This same scenario happened a second time -- technicians do not supply their names when the volume is turned up).

I asked for instructions to predate the computer
so as to undo the installation of IE7. That service was provided, and I thought the task was completed since IE Explorer Version 6 was fully restored. However, the technician had me run a CHKDSK program on the DOS window that lasted way over an hour. CHKDSK was really slow, and never speeded up as promised. I voiced some objections to the time it was taking for this program to run (over 1 minute for 1 percent of the hard drive). The technician warned that I shouldn't cut out early, because my computer "really needed" the check. After 61 percent of the disk was checked, the technician came on the phone and said she might as well hang up and that I should just let the program run! She could have told me that about 50 minutes earlier!! And she didn't give me a choice or describe why she felt CHKDSK was needed for a new computer. My final bill was $189.74. I learned this only after calling my credit card company - getting no receipt or any type of communication back from Geeks by the Minute. 189.74/1.79 = 106 minutes for a 40 minute (TOPS!) job.

I did get the phone number for the "Billing Office" when I made a second call to [protected]. The person who answered at the Billing Office was verbally abusive; Geeks must be getting lots of complaints. (Billing office # is [protected]).

Geeks by the Minute must be under new management. I had two previous contacts with them, and they were most helpful. What a contrast! Stay away from these folks!

Pd

Comments

• Ri
      Aug 23, 2009
    Geeks By Minute - Failure to Resolve Outlook Express Email recovery Problem
    Geeks by Minute
    GeeksbyMinute.com

23 August 2009: My basic complaint is that on 15 August 2009 I was unable to recover all of my Outlook Express emails lost after compacting. I tried using some information I found on the Internet, but was unable to resolve the issue. Therefore, I eventually contacted Microsoft Repair via telephone and that call resulted in a connection with Geeks by Minute. While the support agent (name unknown) I dealt with for over 110 minutes was friendly and obviously trying to solve my problem, he was ultimately unable to do so. From the start he told me he had encountered this exact problem before and more than once he assured me he could resolve the issue. After 110+ minutes of trying, several times resorting to a previously unsuccessful method, he was not successful. I was left with no recovered emails, no anti-virus protection (he had me remove it to overcome possible Norton "firewalls"), and shortly thereafter I received a bill for $226.86 from Geeks by Minute for an effort that got me nothing. Additionally, three days later a friend, using Microsoft tools downloaded from the Internet, was able to recover all of my lost emails. Obviously, I should have contacted him in the first place. The bottom line is I am very dissatisfied with the overall experience and feel strongly that I should not have to pay this excessive amount for support that failed. Please help secure a refund of my $226.86!
    Sincerely,
    Richard H. Enderly
    940 Stockbridge Drive
    Virginia Beach, VA 23464
    (H) [protected]
    (H) [protected]@cox.net

• Pd
      Sep 03, 2009

I had a similar experience with Geeks by the Minute Support Line. I had recently purchased a new computer and "upgraded" by Microsoft-recommendation to Internet Explorer version 7 on 8/28. I lost all ability to connect to IE and called computer Geeks. The person who answered was barely audible at first and didn't give her name. I asked for instructions to predate the computer so as to undo the installation. That service was provided, but then the technician had me run a CHKDISK program that lasted well over an hour. It was really slow, and never speeded up as she said it would. She warned that I shouldn't cut out early, because my computer "really needed" the check. After awhile she came on the phone and said she might as well hang up after all -- that I should just let the program run! My final bill was $189.74. I learned this only after calling my credit card company - getting no receipt or any type of communication back from Geeks by the Minute - even though my e-mail address was solicited on the 28th! I finally got the Billing Office number, and the person who answered the phone identified herself as an "answering service". I wasn't sure I had the right number! She finally did acknowledge that she represented "Geeks", but was extremely rude. What a way not to run a business!

Perry Watts
    [protected]@comcast.net

Feb 22, 2010

I know Dick Enderly and he is usually a hard-headed student regardless what the subject. I worked with him at COMNAVSURFLANT and he continuously had problems with the computers while there. Nice guy, but has a tendency to go off on his own vice following instruction. I cannot see 110 minutes with no results. Only an idiot would continue that long with no visible results.

Apr 18, 2010

What an idiot is right. Who other than a ### would stay online with a tech KNOWING he was paying byhe minute and not getting any results. Now he wants a refund?

That's like eating the whole meal and then telling the waiter the food and service sucked.

May 18, 2010

I know Dick also when he was at the Naval Acadamy, and while book smart, he wasn't street smart at all. Always made like he knew EVERYTHING.. and that so wasn't the case

What IDIOT ( is right) would stay on a phone call when being billed by the minute with no results. I have to agree with Mark May.. No very bright. and this guy was helping to run the U S Navy? SCARY!

May 18, 2010

Some people never change.. always has to be right in any situation.. Didn't realize our name displayed. oh well.. Just speaking the truth!

SORRY DICK!

• Ha
      Dec 14, 2010

Geeks in Minutes is sometimes confused with these guys, do not confuse them!

• Ha