Geek Squad Service / ruined my mother board

1 Longmont, CO, United States Review updated:

I recently upgraded my video editing suite and found my 1 Gig of Ram on my 2 year old Dell computer insufficient to run it properly. So I shut down my system and took it to Best Buy to get 2 more gigs RAM installed. The Technician on duty got me in quickly and installed the Memory for me. Then he went to Boot the machine to final check it.

My system has a small glitch when booting due to installing an incompatible hard drive about a year ago. The Drive is long since removed, but when booting the system still searches for the hard drive. I simply hit F1 to continue Setup and it boots with no problem. I explained this to the Tech but he didn't seem to listen.

After about a 20 minute wait, he said if I could leave it with him then he would check on it and call me within 2 hours. 3 Hours later no call had come in so I called. I explained the Setup glitch to another Technician and he said they would check into it and get back to me.

5 hours later still no call. So I called them and was told that my mother board was fried. They stated that my only recourse was to send it to Dell and pay whatever was necessary to fix it. Now I understand that "things happen", yet it is just too much coincidence that my entire Mother Board would suddenly fry on the Tech's table, after 2 years of stellar performance. Yet this Team had no interest in helping me figure this out, nor admit any possibility of negligence on the Technician's part.

I run a home based business and this computer is my lifeline. Every day without my system is money lost. I don't know what the best answer is here. But I am blown away with the miserable treatment I am receiving from this Geek Squad.

Comments

• La
      19th of Nov, 2008

We've used Geek Squad for several issues on different computers and they have always gone above and beyond for us.

One tech who came to our home to work on a computer, refused to leave even though he was taking a lot heat from his boss to leave and go on to his next appointment.

He refused to leave until he found the problem and fixed it.

This was in the Dallas Ft-Worth Area, so I guess it depends on the staff at particular location

• El
      21st of Nov, 2008

Hey Bill,

I’m sorry to hear about your computer troubles! I certainly understand how difficult it can be to go without your computer, whether it’s for business or personal use. I would like to assure you though that what you may have experienced is not indicative of the type of service Best Buy strives to provide!

At this time our records indicate that you have been in touch with our Consumer Relations department, and a resolution has been reached. If this is not the case – or should you have any additional questions or concerns – please feel free to contact us at online.communities@bestbuy.com. Remember to include the case number that you were provided!

Thanks,

Agent Aaron
    Geek Squad Community Connector
    Go Ahead. Use Us.

• Le
      24th of Nov, 2008

i dont know about your experience but to me Geek Squad is just a group of rudest techies...i would never bother to talk with them. I hear their argue with a customer in my local bestbuy...so terrible...and sorry for the one be their customers!