Geek Squad Best Buy / service

Flint, MI, United States Review updated:

I previously wrote regarding UBS ports not working and taking it to Best Buy, Geek Squad for service, where thought I was informed didn't have Black Tie. (I called the company to be told the most hardware is safe or the first year, but after that, expensive so they wouldn't renew it.)

Went to pick computer up to be told "the UBS ports aren't working". I told them that is why I brought it in, but the "agent" -when bringing it in-said it was a virus which was the reason 2 of the 3 ports weren't working. He said they would do checking and had me sign a paper they weren't responsible if I lost all data, or I could pay to have it all backed-up. I signed the paper and he said, "it probably won't delete all information, but that is just in case."

When I returned to pick the computer up informed the ports weren't working, "they clean it all up and even put Microsoft Security Essentials on it"! (It was already on it when I brought it in.). When I told him-the Manager who was helping me "with 30 years experience", about the company not offering me a renewal on the Black tie, "because the first year there is rare the hardware breaks, but the second year would not be cost-effective to purchase it due to the price increase, I was first told I was lying, and then said, "it's your fault, you should have purchased a two year instead of a one year warranty." It went down hill from there not listening to me, yelling at me. I finally asked for the computer, after again telling me they didn't really check the USB ports, but would do that and would wipe out all my information. I again told him the "agent" told me they were going to do it, and assumed it had been done, and he said, "there are no notes to that".

I told him I would be forwarding a complain to the Consumers Complain, and his response? "I could care less!"

Comments

• Ho
      Aug 05, 2012

If this is a laptop some USB ports break at the solder points due to bad boards..You can't fix them..You have to replace the boards...Geek squad is a joke, , They know nothing about hardware just basic software problems...On some computers you can turn off USB ports...Giving Geek squad something to fix is a joke they don't replace bad boards or know how to replace boards they just give you some lame answer...Like you need a new computer...I have replaced 3 of my boards and run great...One did have bad USB ports..I have found that BIOSTAR boards are really good and never give me problems...Go to a small computer repair store they know alot more then any geek squad...

• Sm
      Aug 06, 2012

Thank you for agreeing, and your comments. I will take your advice. Sad to have so many dis-honest practices and people today. I will also look up information on what is "BIOSTAR". Thanks again!

• So