Geek Squad / attempt to hack in stating they received notice of malware
I received a call from [protected] from "Geek Squad"; the agent stated that they received a message that my computer had downloaded some malware and that he was going to help me resolve the problem. He walked me through opening up the computer ID and read numbers as if to verify he was on the up and up... then directed me to go to the run command entry and type in "msconflict" and then wanted me to read off the script... which I said I did, but did not.
This was a huge red flag to me... He asked that I read the data, "I said hang on a second..." I don't subscribe to their service, so I asked, "did you say you were with Geek Squad?" and at that time, we were disconnected.
I dialed the number back (my phone collects the number even though the caller ID registers as "Unknown", and guess what? That number cannot be dialed into... such a surprise!
NOBODY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS YOUR COMPUTER THAT YOU HAVE NOT SUBSCRIBED SERVICE TO.
More Geek Squad Complaints & Reviews
- Geek Squad - geek squad - is a total rip off! 
- Geek Squad - phone insurance 
- Best Buy/geek Squad - tv repair took forever 
- Best Buy Geek Squad - the geek squad really sucks! 
- Best Buy / Geek Squad - laptop repair 
- Geek Squad - repair a virus in my laptop - lost my entire data + fraud
- Geek Squad - did not replace defective part for freezer
- Geek Squad - can't fix my problem 
- Geek Squad - moving old info from old microsoft hard drive to newly purchased hard drive work done with geek squad at hutchinson, mn location 
- Best Buy / Geek Squad - dumb # geek squad agents!