GE Profile convection/gas double oven / plastic stove knobs melting

Cincinnati, OH, United States Review updated:
Bought brand new GE Profile convection/Gas double oven in May 2008 and while the stove is stainless steel the knobs on the stove are plastic covered in stainless steel tape. Yes TAPE! The tape on knobs has melted and become crazed from the heat of the oven. As a result the knobs have sharp edges that have crackled and are sharp. I have repeatedly cut my fingers upon turning the knobs of my stove for operation purposes.

I contacted GE and a service person came to my home and hold me the knobs were cheap and the problem would continue to happen. He sent me 5 sets of knobs so that the I could keep switching them out as they became disfigured. I have repeatedly contacted GE about the problem and they refuse to do anything. They state that it's a cosmetic issue and that the oven is mechanically sound and therefore it's just normal wear and tear. Now my oven is only 6 months old. I would expect that it would hold up longer!

GE's refuses to correct the issue and they refuse to work with the supplier to return the oven. I am extremely frustrated that I can't cook a meal without fear of cutting my fingers and they refuse to acknowledge that the product is defective.

Comments

St
  10th of Apr, 2009
Hi - my Mother purchased the same stove (model number PGB918SEM1SS) and we have the same problem. I was doing a internet search to see if there was any solution. Our symptoms are as you've described. I know that my Mom has replaced the knobs once, but was hoping there was a more permanent solution than constantly replacing the knobs! Argh.
Du
  8th of May, 2009
I agree to above complaints - the knobs are cheap crap. Just send me real stainless knobs and quit lying to us all. GE says these are only "available knobs" made for this stove. I say BS, I have never owned a stove ($2, 000) that had fake plastic to look like stainless.I now am sorry I spent thousands on new kitchen appliances (all GE) and be treated this way!!!
St
  1st of Jun, 2009
(Steven C) I have been having the same problem with the knobs melting; two techs have been out to my house. Knobs have been replaces three times. We are getting tired of the run around on this 2300.00 range. Are there any stainless steel replacement knobs, even from a difference Model Range?
Je
  21st of Jun, 2009
Is problem only with the stainless steel model? I'm interested in the white-on-white model #PGB918DEMWW.
Su
  15th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Bought GE Cafe 30" Model CGS980SEM3SS free standing stove. There are rings around the knobs. When I use the oven, these knobs get very hot to touch after about an hour. I think the oven was used about 1/2 dozen times when we looked from underneath the knobs. The rings (skirt - that's what GE service call these parts) were melted, crinkled up.

The GE rep came out, replaced these skirts and also put some shims in the oven door. The knobs still get very hot. Haven't used the oven enough to see the melted rings around the knobs.

Does anyone else have this problem with the GE Cafe range?
Bo
  6th of Sep, 2009
What a disgraceful company GE has become! This is an an obvious material flaw that should have have never made it through the design phase; any reputable company would have immediately rectified this condition.
Ge
  16th of Sep, 2009
I will never ever buy another GE appliance. Have the same problem as everyone else, knobs are melted, cracked and broken. One of them broke at the stem and won't turn the gas off. I have to put the gas lock on so that we don't all die from the gas leak. Additionally the heat seal around the door pulled out while cleaning and won't go back in. The refrigerator (Profile) also was a waste of money. The ice machine quit working properly within a month.
Ma
  17th of Sep, 2009
I am experiencing the same problem with the knobs as well. I also wonder if there are replacement knobs I could buy the are stainless and not plastic. If anyone knows, I'd really like their help.
An
  15th of Oct, 2009
I am having the same problem with my knobs..I agree I will never buy ge appliances again. I purchased all new ge profile appliances last year and having been discovering that thet were made so poor there are problems with all of them.
GE you are a disgrace...
Dp
  16th of Dec, 2009
I just wanted to add to this as we have been having the same isue with out Profile dual fuel stove. I have contacted both our retailer as well as GE and have been given the run around by both...essentially they offer to sell us new knobs at $36 EACH!

Doing some investigation in to our own stove, there is MUCH more to this and there is a specific cause for the knobs melting. The door does NOT close correctly. The knobs are indeed cheap, but the root cause is a door fitment issue. The door seal comes no where near the stove box, letting the hot air simply pour out the front of the stove...

As is typical of this kind of large corp. it is cheaper and easier (lazier) for them to through knobs at people that address the real cause of the problem (door mfg/design)
Ro
  21st of Dec, 2009
Yep...same problem! $36 per plastic replacement knob...plus shipping!!??

I also had a problem with the matching microwave! While cooking in the oven, the turn plate just cracked in half...WHILE cooking...it wasn't bumped, dropped or anything. The cost to replace the microwave plate is $105 plus shipping!!

This is rediculous! I am shopping on Ebay for these items. Looks like I will have the plate replaced for about $25, including shipping.
Bi
  2nd of Jan, 2010
Does anyone have a solution to this issue??
Ja
  6th of Jan, 2010
Again, we bought an expensive GE profile gas convection oven and have had the knobs replaced 3 times. Yes four knobs per replacement is around $180.00. Then you get the same cheap knobs again. The problem is obviously a design problem and customers need to think again before buying GE ranges. The knobs were very jagged and sharp from the melting. Hands and fingers can easily be cut. This is America people, let's boycott the company until they rectify this problem or give our hard-earned money back!
Lo
  21st of Jan, 2010
I have a GE Profile 5 burner SS stovetop with black plastic knobs. Two knobs are now partially melted by heating a skillet on the high-capacity burner. I guess they never envisioned anyone using their stovetops to generate heat. Hmmmm. Crappy design for a very expensive unit. Recall this garbage and supply your customers with solid SS knobs.
Vt
  23rd of Jan, 2010
The plastic knobs melt and deform. Although advertised as stainless knobs they are plastic with a stainless appearing coating so they melt then the fake coating starts flaking off. Do not buy the GE profile series products. Piece of Junk. The Profile series microwave arched and sparked and it took weeks to get GE to replace the defective Profile microwave. GE wanted the repair contractor to repair the microwave and accept liability if further issues were encountered. He refused. Junk Junk Junk for an expensive appliance.
Go
  1st of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have the same problem with the knobs. Also, my oven door does not close properly on the right side it is which lets a lot of heat out of the top of the oven and therefore the knobs on the right side are much worse then on the left. The fake stainless steal has chipped completely off the knob revealing the crappy plastic underneath. This is a disgrace.
Li
  19th of Feb, 2010
I was told by GE that they are now shipping the new units with steel knobs? Can anyone confirm they've been able to replace their plastic painted knobs?
Li
  22nd of Feb, 2010
I have had the exact same problem with the oven knobs melting, to the point where they won't turn the gas off. I thought it was MY fault somehow, and am glad to see that it is actually a product defect. Discouraged to hear that this will happen again, and I will again be faced with a gas emergency at some unknown time in the future. I am also unhappy with our GE Cafe dishwasher (seal has come unglued), GE Cafe microwave (glass plate chipped) and GE Profile refrigerator (ice maker has a design flaw that makes ice overflow all over the floor every time you open the freezer drawer. I thought paying up for nicer appliances would solve all my kitchen problems! Very disappointing...
Ib
  26th of Feb, 2010
I have had the same problem. What a rip off. I purchased my expensive stove about a year ago. The repairman came out and said they were not covered for replacement. He told me if I was cleaning the oven or using the oven at a high temp. to take the knobs off. I've never heard of such a thing in my life. What happened to the dependability of GE products? If I would have known this was how they stand behind their products, the new GE products I purchased for my kitchen makeover, stove, micro, refrig and dishwasher woukld still belong to GE.
Dz
  9th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Same issue for a GE profile double over model PEGB918SEMSS I bought in Nov 2008.
GE & their warranty servcies company Assurant told me it is all cosmetics! In fact I even dstarted seeing a dent on top burner round "disk". Yet they insisted it is all cosmetics!