GE Money Bank / Credit card slamming!

Received a letter in the mail from Lowes stating that my account had been upgraded and that I would be receiving a new Lowes Platinum VISA in a weeks and it would be replacing my old Lowes Preferred Consumer Credit Card. It also stated that I didn't have to do anything, just call the 800 # on the card to verify that I had received my new Lowes Platinum Card and the balance would be transferred from the old card to the new VISA. It stated that the VISA was better that the Lowes Consumer Card, because I could now use it anywhere. WRONG!!

My wife went to Lowes (as normal) to make a payment and guess what. Lowes can't take payments on the Lowes VISA. I called the company and talked with the local Lowes Credit manager and she said that she had seen a few of these and it was causing problems (no kidding). I called Lowes VISA customer service and she stated that I could go on line and make a payment (which was now 2 days late, because we couldn't make a payment at Lowes). There was a $25.00 late fee already on the bill. I made a 500.00 payment and took the bill back to Lowes and again talked with the local Credit Manager. She called the Lowes Home Office Credit manager and told her what was going on. She recommended that we open a new Lowes Consumer Account and that they would transfer the VISA balance back to the Lowes Consumer Card (wrong!) that didn't happen.

I get a phone call a few days later from the Lowe's VISA collection department saying that I was late on a payment for the balance (that did not get transferred). I blew up. I went back to Lowes and again talked with the credit manager, all she could do was apologize for the trouble. Lowes VISA told her that they would straighten out the credits and it would not affect my credit report.

I was so mad I sold all my Lowes stock. I have another Commercial Account with them and I will be closing that one too. How about a "Class Action Suit" against GE Money Bank for deceptive business practices?? I'm not the only one this happened to. Nationwide there are thousands.

Jo

Comments

• Dd
      31st of Aug, 2007

I totally agree. In my opinion, GE Money Bank is a complete ripoff. I have had a similar experience.

• Sh
      25th of Oct, 2007

I had the similar thing happen. We thought we were receiving a new Lowes Consumer card. We had no idea that they would close our account and charge us 19.25% interest. I file a complaint with the better business bureau. We were totally scammed.

• Ro
      8th of Nov, 2007
    GE Money Bank - Credit card slammed!

I received a credit card from GE Money Bank for Dick's Sporting Good Master Card. I called GS MoneyBank and reported that I had not applied for a credit card with them. Essentially they refuse to deal with me unless I give them my social security number. From what I can read on line GE Money Bank doesn't seem reputable, so I am hesitant to give them my social security number and birthdate.

Recently I received a bill stating charges had been made in a State at least 300 miles from where I live. any suggestions beside reporting it to the credit bureau which i intend to do...

28th of Nov, 2007

Yes If anybody want to make a law suit I got a case of making up accounts without any proff and the worst without any application neither.

14th of Dec, 2007

yeah i have one call their fraud department idiot HELLLLo

• He
      1st of Feb, 2008

everyone should do what we can to put these people out of business.

• Tr
      13th of Feb, 2008

I would LOVE to see a class action suit happen. I have had nothing but problems and now to top it all off - I have well over $4000 in available credit and the last 3 times I tried to use it through my PayPal account - I WAS DENIED!! What in the world is up with this company. I went from 16% interest rate with my first "Lowes" card, to over 23% after the buy out. I could go on and on but won't. Again, a Class Action sounds perfect. If not to resolve current issues, at least stop them from doing this to millions of unsuspecting people. One last comment... Lowes is my favorite place to shop - bar none - but the fact that they have no apparent control over the card company that bears their name is ASININE! Everytime I walk in there I think about GE Money. Not good. So much for not going on and on!

• Vw
      25th of Mar, 2008

The same ...very same thing happened to me. I am closing both accounts as a result. What a scam.

• Ou
      15th of Oct, 2008

i know the feeling. when they changed from capital one to lowes visa is when the problems started. i had a lady saying she was from lowes visa platinum and i was 3 moths behind. i said lady thats a load of crock i just made my payment the first of last week. she kept on and on insisting that i was 3 months behind. i cussed her out and told her not to be calling my house calling me a liar. she did not speak english too good. she give me another number to call and they said i was only 1 month behind and that happened when the switch over took place. i don't get paper statements and they failed to send my bill to my email address. when i got through telling them what i wanted them to know they were glad to take the late fee of 39 dollars off. i say lets sue their pants off.

• Je
      13th of Nov, 2008

I have been a JC Penny customer for several years with an excellent credit history. I too had my credit limit reduced from $2000 to $100 based on data unrelated to my JC Penny credit history.
    Until the illegal & inapproprite activities are stopped:

NO LONGER PATRONIZE ANY BUSINESS THAT USES GE MONEY BANK.

REPORT COMPLAINTS TO STATE AND FEDERAL CONSUMER AGENCIES.

• Lo
      5th of May, 2009

First of all LOWES is a wonderful place to shop. Second of all everytime I shop at LOWES I always get greeted ans always get help from someone. They have wonderful customer service and the Credit places have nothing to do with Lowes. That is a totaly differant company that only deals with there credit cards. So not shopping at Lowes and dropping the stock is so stupid. You need to get your facts straight first before accusing Lowes because the credit card companies have nothing to do with them. My suggestion is to n0t get a credit card if you don't know the facts. I am a FACEFUL CUSTOMER OF LOWES AND WILL CONTINUE TO SHOP THERE AND KEEP BUYING THE STOCK. I LOVE LOWES!!!

• Mi
      1st of Aug, 2009

Not buying at Lowes because of the actions of their credit card operator is EXACTLY the best way to protest their usurious practices-these greedy (censored) need to know that 24% interest rates to GOOD CUSTOMERS will not be tolerated anymore-how much it too much? It is just wrong.

9th of Jul, 2010

Lowe's Visa owned by GE MoneyMoney Bank is deceptive and sleazy. I used the card to avail myself to a 20 dollar reward certificate...yeah right. After months of not receiving this I called and they said it had been issued, I said when? Oh they print it on the second page of the statement. Well, that wasn't explained to me in the "terms", they said sorry they can't re-issue it. I mean really, they couldn't print one line on the front that says reward certificate on statement pages, in the month hen they decided to print it there?????? I am so tired of big businesses doing nothing to not uphold their part of the consumer relationship. WRONG.