Ge Moeny.care Credit / Abuse of Collecting law

1 El Paso, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-893-7864

Since opening an account with GE Money Care Credit in February of 2008, the account has been paid on time and current.
On September 15, 2008, my mother passes away. With the family grieving I apparently failed to send in my payment for $39.00 which was due on September 22, 2008.

Beginning September 22, thru out October 4, I received 47 phone calls from a GE Representative with an Indian accent. The calls were coming from overseas sometimes around 07.00am to as late as 21:15hrs Pacific Time, which is a direct violation of FTC Fair Debt Collection Act rules. Most of the time the caller ID on our phone would show the caller as a blank number, which is an other violation of FTC rules. And sometimes with voice messages left with very intimidating messages pay your bills or face with bad report being sent to the credit bureau.

Finally on Sunday October 5, GE Money call again at 07:15am Pacific Time, This time I was able to pick up the phone, and sure enough a man with an Indian accent question me about my account. I told me this was my first time ever being late for a few days on the account was due in part due to a death in the family.

The man replied, “I don’t care, you give me check over the phone or face the consequences of getting more phone calls”.
He also caution me, that he was located out-side the United States, and he can call me any time he wishes, because American Laws does not apply to him in his country.

On October 6, 2008 I contacted GE Money /Care Credit collections department. And the first person I spoke to identified him self as Robert Hampton, I attempted to explain to him my experiences with person calling us 47 times from India about a $39.00 bill that was mailed out on October 2, 2008, Mr. Hampton replied, “if you people pay your bills on time, there will be no phone calls. We have a right to call you even at 03.00am if we like, and there is nothing you can do about it. Pay you bills and you will get no phone calls”
I was shocked by Mr. Hampton’s statements, and request to speak to his supervisor/ manager who identified himself as Kevin Odell. Mr. Odell was not any different than Mr. Hampton, he lash out at me for complaining and threaten me with a higher interest rate increase for being 10 days later on my account. I try explaining to him my reasons for being late, he replied, “You complain you loose” then hung up the phone.

I check my account status on line on October 7, 2008 and discovered my interest rate had gone up from 19.1% to 39.858%, and my available credit that was once $507.00 was now down to zero. It appears Mr. Odell did carry out his threat and abuse his power to retaliate against me for complain of phone harassment by GE Money / Care Credit.

Considering the foregoing, with this type of unprofessional and in most case unlawful conduct of GE Money/Care Credit and its employees warrants the attention of State and Federal agencies with jurisdictions over this form of abuse to consumers.

I encourage every customer which has encountered similar issues with GE Money to file a complaint with the FTC Consumer Complaint Web site below.

Ge

Comments

• Zx
      7th of Oct, 2008

I hope you reported these activities to the FTC.

• St
      8th of Feb, 2010

Dear Care Credit Customer:

Care credit should be evaluated in terms of a federal civil class action under RICO. That is, under the federal rules for a racketeering influenced corrupt organizations. The statute of limitations, tripple damage awards and availability of class action make this approach desirable. Please search under key words like Federal RICO White Collar for more information on how to initiate a federal RICO civil class action against cc.

There are law firms available to take on this action. The award would be in the tens of millions of dollars as care credit is large network. Cc may be structuring to unfairly overbill or otherwise treat the customers unfairly for improper financial gain; possibly a form of rackettering. The penalties carry tripple damage awards.

Case law is available on the internet regarding a large insurance company that received an unfavorable judgement under federal RICO laws for unfair billing and/or unfair payment dispursement practices. From what I understand the insurance company was intentionally structuring the payment process to withhold payments to recipients. Tripple damages were awarded in the amount of several hundreds of millions of dollars. This is a very powerful law! There is extensive case law on successful civil class actions against white collar federal RICO violators. Please stick together and lets research this. Let's go after cc on federal RICO civil class action. I'll be back later.

John Doe