GE/Frontload HE Washer w/pedestal / Warranty

United States Review updated:
GE Appliances
If you've ever wanted live the book/movie Catch 22, buy a GE Washer/Dryer combination with pedestals along with the Service Contract and wait for your washer to go belly-up. Then the fun begins! After the repair guy comes out one day a week for 3 weeks (remember, you have no washer because it's broken), he finally declares it unfixable. THEN you get to deal with the GE Warranty folks. The phone number the repair guy gives you is the wrong number, but it does go to GE, so they give you another number to call. That number ALWAYS takes at least 10 minutes to pick up. (You can tell you're entering customer hell, because the responsiveness gets slower and slower.) When you finally talk to a person, they tell you what they will replace your defective washer with. It looks good, so you ask about the pedestal. Will the new washer work with the old pedestal? The answer is "I don't know what pedestal you have so I can't answer." OK, well the two washers look the same so you think it'll be fine. When the washer finally arrives at your door, the delivery folks tell you (surprise!) they won't install the washer on the old pedestal, even if they are the same size: company policy. So you call GE. Well, that's the installation company's policy. GE doesn't have anything to do with that. And no, GE will not send you a replacement pedestal: that's your problem to replace. OK, so you find out you can drive down the road and pick up a pedestal at the local hardware store. You happily call the installation company back (because the driver drove off without delivering the new washer) and tell them you'll get a GE pedestal and have it available. They say, NO! they will only install the washer on a pedestal if it is provided by GE. You call GE. NO! They will NOT provide a pedestal. Catch 22! We gotcha! FUN! FUN! FUN! I'll never do business with GE again. Funny thing - before this, they had all my appliance business.

A  26th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
That's nothing, I installed the new red Profile front load combo with the Smart Dispense washer and pedestals on Jan.1, 2009. After 7 1/2 months fighting with them and getting the attorney general in my state's help, we finally got a new washer.I will have to agree their customer service department is the worst I have ever dealt with.These new washers are way too heavy for the thin flexible pedestals and they cause them to shake violently during the start of the high speed spin cycle. If they would design a stronger base like LG did the worst of their problems would go away, this isn't according to me, this is what the service techs and installers told me. I would highly recommend checking the LG units before buying the GE like I did, they are rated #1 in consumer reports and maybe their customer service is much more user friendly.
A  18th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am having the same problem with my GE washer. it is less than six months old and it takes two hours for it to finish washing mainly because of the spin cycle. at the end of the wash, my clothes come out full of water in which i have to run them on another spin cycle. I have spoke n with GE three times alreadya and they send the same technician out each time who put in a large bowl of water in the washer turns on the spin cycle and says that its balanced. I would easly do the same thing. i am just waiting for the day that it gets so off balanced that it falls off the pedistal then i will be sueing GE to pay to have my laundry room repaired.
A  29th of Oct, 2009 by
I have the same problem with the water & draining. It takes so long to do laundry thanks to the need to "drain & spin" ALL the time. I have finally given up trying to get any help so I went looking for a new set. While shopping I have warned other consumers about the shiny lemon they are about to purchase & have detered or as I prefer to say, "saved" them from the frustration. I will keep spreading the word!! Meanwhile two people I work with have the LG and love it!