Gavel & Gown Software / Amicus Attorney

1 Austin, TX, United States Review updated:

Beware! The software is horrible!

I began using this software 3 versions ago (4 years) and it has never operated properly. Although the product costs about half of similar products (about $900 for two licenses of the top end product), the product has cost my practice far more than it saved my practice: and exponentially more than any of the superior products. I'll tell you what I mean.

First, the software is so unstable that on a weekly basis I must shut down my very expensive server to restart the frozen inexpensive software. Key features of the product never work (even after upgrading and working with tech support for literally days on end): functions like going offline functions, reports functions, syncronization with other programs, et cetera. And don't fall for their line that if you just up-grade to the new version all the problems will vanish: I've been there and done that... it's a lie.

Second, the company charges an excessive amount for technical support relative to the value of the product: tech support is about $299 while the software itself is only about $599. if the user is not a programmer, the user is certain to need technical support in order to install or operate the software on an ongoing basis. You will recall Point #1: the software is unstable.

Third, tech support and customer serive are grossly incompetent. The user has to wait on hold 30 min to 1 hour for front-line tech support (the guys who know nothing and read solutions from a script), and when the user finaly reaches front-line tech-support the user is inevitably told that 'the case will be escalated and someone from second-line tech-support will call [user] back.' The problem is that tech-support will provide the user with neither a time nor a day for the call-back, so the user has to play a game of 'wait-and-see.'

Fourth, and perhaps most disappointing of all, if the user reaches second-line tech support their problems may just be starting. On more than one occassion, second-line tech-support has caused my server to shut down totally--at which point I was told that a more senior specialist would call me back--followed by an abrupt hang-up of the phone. As a result, I have had to hire numerouse outside specialists to get my server up and running again. To disibiew the reader of any misgivings the reader may have about my equipment, its a new name brand raid server with a real microsoft enterprise server operating system: it's not my hardware. I am not only an attorney but I am MBA graduate of a well recognized private school on the east coast: I'm not going to mention the name of my beloved alma matta for fear that my stupid decision to purchase this software might somehow reflect upon the quality of the institution.

If you are looking at buying Amicus Attorney, don't. If you do, you will be sorry. I am.

Comments

• Ad
      28th of Oct, 2009

Our firm has used Amicus for several years & we have also hated their technical support dept. Most recently, we upgraded to Small Firm Edition 2009 & the new Amicus would keep crashing when I went to generate a database. Instead of the 1st technician going thru a list of criteria for doing this operation (ie. Use Win 02 & higher NOT WIN 00 which is what we were running), they twiddled with my Amicus using remote access (that's the only way their tech support works!!) and now 4 technicians & 3 working days without Amicus later, my incident has been escalated to another senior rep. They cannot figure out what's wrong & what's really frustrating is that they won't admit it! I've heard all sorts of excuses like I'm running Win Vista, "its a permissions issue", ... Bottom line: My amicus worked before just fine and after their technicians got into my computer via remote access, it stopped running! Although the program itself is good idea regarding file management & I completely agree with all your above comments - This isn't the first time we've had a bad experience with this program & I'm sure it won't be the last. I'd think twice about their tech support! What I find infuriating is that Tech Support won't admit their mistake!! We've never used all of Amicus features to their full potential (it's an overpriced calendar for the most part) and even when we try to (like generating a database) it is useless.

• M0
      7th of Dec, 2009

I am glad that the Amicus Accounting failed before I paid $300 for tech support. I spoke to their tech support guy once when the software would not work and he had no idea what was going on then all of a sudden started saying, "Hello?" "Hello?" and there was nothing wrong with our connection. Then he hung up. This was not only a waste of a lot of money but a source of frustration, lost billable time on hold and a delay in billing when the software would not work. I spent less time customizing an invoicing template in Microsoft Excell and I will use that to bill. Don't buy this junk.

• Bi
      23rd of Jun, 2010

I have been a networking engineer for 24 years. There is one standard I always apply to a product. SUPPORT. There is one sure fire way to test support before you buy. Call for support and time how long it takes to get a real person for support. Then call new sales and see how quickly you get a real person for sales. Generally, sales is ALWAYS faster than support. That means only one thing: They are quicker to take your money than to actually earn it. In the case of Amicus software by GAVEL & GOWN SOFTWARE, the sales answers in second. Their support, many hours to actual DAYS to actually talk to a support person. There are even times when you have to leave a call back number because they are too busy (or too cheap) to answer the phone. In addition, not once, never, not ever did they call me back. THIS software is garbage, especially Amicus Accounting. This is not even SQL based. Absolute, total, 100% GARBAGE!!! Do not buy. If you want an accounting product, go to QuickBooks Enterprise because at least you can pay for premier support and they actually answer the phone.

• Te
      24th of Feb, 2012

I am having a similarly disappointing experience with Amicus. I cannot get the calendar to sync with outlook. Technical support is sadly lacking. I will probably have to eat the cost of the program and the technical support charge.

28th of Aug, 2014

As a technician that work on Amicus all day I can tell you it is poorly coded.

The software company is to busy trying to make the next version release they neglect all the bugs.

Personally, I feel it is a scam.

• Je
      20th of Oct, 2014

Yes, they are frauds! The software is unstable. But worst off all, they won't take care of their customers. Do not buy!

• Du
      2nd of Aug, 2015

I do not understand these negative reviews. I have used a version of Amicus Attorney since before the turn of the century. Yes, like any software that is networked, there are occasional problems. I link Amicus Attorney with Amicus Accountant, and have a most excellent document automation capability by using custom fields. It very effectively manages more thna 40 open cases at a time, legacy cases, multiple users, accounting and billing, along with document automation, in a fun and very effective manner.

Perhaps there are better options. I have not found them. I have tried the Cloud option for Amicus, and it is just too slow, and too cumbersome compared to the desk based Amicus Attorney. I used Small Firm, but Premium I am sure is superior. So be it. Small firm is so effective that I have no need to upgrade.

If you have issues with the software, given my long experience with it, I have to wonder why. It is somewhat dummy proof, and there really is nothing quite like it to run a small law firm practice that uses trust accounting and hourly billing.

I get the sense that those posting that this is a "scam" as an example, are not quite on the level with us.